PDA

View Full Version : 250 SX Shock??

nouseforaname90
07-06-2005, 02:25 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a longer or stiffer rear shock for my 250SX? I have my stock shock in 5th position, and it still rubs when I hit a big bump. Being a heavy rider (250lbs), I need a longer, or stiffer shock. Anyone know where I could get one that would fit without any mods or extra fabrication?

bigredhead
07-06-2005, 02:37 PM
your shock is shot. have it rebuilt !!! :p

If i put mine on the 5th position.. i weigh 165 ish.. i canot for the life of me bottom it out.. i drive it on the lowest possible position personally.

" Works Performance Shocks " makes them for the SX.. but be ready to pay out the !@#@% for one !

conig
07-06-2005, 03:16 PM
Id agree with big red head.

I have been meaning to see if my scrambler rear 10.5 inch travel shock will fit, it looks like it will but it will be considerablie longer. Im looking to pick a used fox up in the 8.5 inch travel model to see if it will work without increasing pinion angle to much.

nouseforaname90
07-06-2005, 09:22 PM
I went to the Works Shocks website, and I couldn't find anything for an SX. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?? Can someone help me??

nouseforaname90
07-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Whoooa.. nevermind.. I found it on their site and holy crap!!!! $300 for one rear shock.. wow. No way.

bigredhead
07-06-2005, 09:32 PM
You might have to send them an e-mail ( contact us ) and explain the year and model thing... and i'm sure they have something that fits and " works " lol...

85 250sx
07-06-2005, 09:35 PM
I wieght 230 lbs and i have no problems at all with my shock either. I think yours might be blown

nouseforaname90
07-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Well..
1) It only bottoms when I'm going fast, and hit a dip
2) I think I just found the problem when I was out riding a few minutes ago. My plastic is broke on the left side (I'm hopefully getting new in a little bit), so it sags down a little. And I believe that is what hits the tire.. it bends down more when I hit a bump, and rubs the tire. I was wondering why only one side rubbed, and the other was fine. I think I just found the problem. Or should the tire not even come up high enough to even POSSIBLY hit the plastic? (the plastic is broken right at the back, so it sags down and lays on that little black bar with the circle cut in it.. so it sags about 3/4-1 inch.)

bigredhead
07-06-2005, 09:57 PM
if you have the metal fender supporters under the plastics.. give them a heave-ho and bend them up some to support the plastics better.

I zip tied mine to my rear rack to keep them up.. broken too.. but not too bad.

nouseforaname90
07-06-2005, 10:07 PM
...true... lol.. I was too stupid to think of that.
What kind of tires do * got on that trike in the picutre beside your name? Those are some pretty nasty looking tires from what I can tell. Looks like an SX. Hmm.. do they get good traction? lol

Dads
07-08-2005, 07:26 AM
You do not want a longer shock on the SX. The drive live is at max flex with stock shock.
If you go with a longer shock the drive line will hit and bind.

mad_max
07-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Whoooa.. nevermind.. I found it on their site and holy crap!!!! $300 for one rear shock.. wow. No way.

It IS a great shock, but the price is a great shock also.

It was wierd the first few times I rode with it because I could feel the rear suspension actually working as I rode. I can take jumps now that I wouldnt before due to the harsh landing of the stock shock.

I weigh 155# and used to run the stock shock on the lightest (preload) setting.

Theres no comparison.

If you want the ultimate, readily available shock for the SX then this is the way to go. Works will also adjust it to your liking. They'll also install remote resevoir on it at extra cost (but you wont need it).

It cost me $289 ($301 incl shipping) and looks like this:

Huffa
07-08-2005, 08:19 PM

It cost me $289 ($301 incl shipping) and looks like this:

.........and I paid 325 for four whole 3 wheelers. :D

That's the going rate for any performance shock though and even more :eek:

I had WP's years ago and they are great shocks and if i remember correctly if you are not statisfied with the damping rate they will redo it for nothing, does that still hold true?

mad_max
07-08-2005, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE=Huffa..... if i remember correctly if you are not statisfied with the damping rate they will redo it for nothing, does that still hold true?[/QUOTE]

Yes. I sent mine back because it was rebounding too quick (not enough dampening for me). They corrected it (no charge) and it works fine. They ask all the basics: rider weight, skill, type of use, upfront. You also choose the spring color.

I once bought a 1981 185S and 1984 125M for $300.

$300 for a shock probably sounds crazy to most people. :beer

Huffa
07-08-2005, 09:23 PM
Yes. I sent mine back because it was rebounding too quick (not enough dampening for me). They corrected it (no charge) and it works fine. They ask all the basics: rider weight, skill, type of use, upfront. You also choose the spring color.

I once bought a 1981 185S and 1984 125M for $300.

$300 for a shock probably sounds crazy to most people. :beer

Yea, I remeber that now, refering to the weight and all that. God, that was back in the early 80's that I got them for my XL 500 and mine came too soft too!

Well yes and no. Crazy if you just dick around and don't even use the shock to it full potential. For you I'm sure it's a worth while investment and I wouldn't mind having one myself BUT not for that model.

Now if it was a 250R or even a 200 or 350X then I'd probably get one. My SX will just be used as more a less a trail - dick around - not too much jumping type of trike so the shock doesn't matter too much BUT if I was loaded with $$ then (like Moe on the 3 stooges says) "why certainly" :D

It does look TRICK !!! :beer

Hey, if ya don't mind, I'd like to see a nice shot of it on your SX.

ALSO IF you ever going to sell your SX and going to put the STOCK shock back on and seel the WP, keep me in mind.

You know how that goes, invest 300 in a shock and don't get nearly that amount back when selling it. Depends on the buyer though I guess.

350x'inNY
07-08-2005, 09:45 PM

Well.... that's nothing compared to the price for a 350X rear shock... seems like it was $650-$700!

Another option for you is to get a rear progressive spring for the stock shock. Progressive Suspension still sells them... seems like the 81-82R and the 85 250SX have the same product code. If I recall, seems like they are around $90. I won an old school one from back in the day on ebay for under $50. Had the old decals in it... "Magnum Baja by Progressive Suspension" ... anyhow.... I installed it at Holics right before Trikefest.. set it to the same setting as the stock spring. When I rode it at Trikefest, it was basically a hardtail! I eneded up getting some wrenches and loosening the preload adjusting nuts all the way out. Still much stiffer than stock... even for a NY farm-corn feed sasquatch!

Bruce

nouseforaname90
07-08-2005, 09:47 PM
A picture of my SX?

mad_max
07-09-2005, 03:36 PM
...........Hey, if ya don't mind, I'd like to see a nice shot of it on your SX..

Here it is.