PDA

View Full Version : Cut-Off motors were not just 87's!!!!

Lomax
07-06-2005, 12:14 PM
After talking to a freind that knows a guy who has a friend etc. etc. I found 2 ATC250R engines last night that were supposed to be "87 Cut-Off" engines. I finally make it up there to see them and sure enough, they are Brand new engines. One thing that I found shocking was a white sticker on the side of the block. Still in mostly readable shape and it had engine numbers and the V.I.N number of the machine its supposed to be in. After running the Bikes V.I.N. It would have made the Bike an 85 Model!! And there is no question about these motors being cut-off's or not. Wires cut, hoses cut, brand new carbs still in place. here's a Pic of that sticker, I am going to try an magnify it so you can read it, if it doesnt work then just download it and magnify it so it becomes as readable as it can be.
-Lomax

dirtface
07-06-2005, 12:20 PM
So what's the deal? Did you buy them?

CINCH
07-06-2005, 01:17 PM
So what's the deal? Did you buy them?

yeah, inquiring minds want to know

Lomax
07-06-2005, 01:45 PM
Here's the deal, there in a lot of parts. Parts include, the 2 250R engines, a Used 350X engine, new 350X carb, and a 1986 ATC250R roller with a WestCoast Swinger under it. The roller is rough (really rough) but the swinger is in great shape. There is a fellow member here on the boards that is possibly going to be the new owner for these items but if not, then I will let everyone know as I dont have near the money for such an investment.

Billy Golightly
07-06-2005, 03:19 PM
Hmmm...Very interesting. I know Honda donated some engines to techinical schools and what not to learn how to work on them. I wonder if this is some of them? Seems like a waste to just cut them out if that were the case though.

Lomax
07-06-2005, 03:56 PM
Your exactly right, kinda. They are Cut out motors (I am posting another Pic for a little better veiw of the engines) but were donated to a Vo-tech school. The teacher couldnt see letting these engines get torn apart so he sold them and bought used engines for the students to learn on. Works out in a way, students still got to learn, and the New engines were saved. Thats the story that I got when I asked about there origin anyway.
I found out the reason that they were cut out of an 85 model as well. After everything happened with the trikes, some dealers had models left over from years past and couldnt sell them. Well Honda made a deal with the dealerships, if they would send them to the same fate as the 87 models, then Honda would Buy Back the machine. After that was done, the parts were left over and in this case, the motors went to a Vo-Tech school.

Orangecnty250r
07-06-2005, 05:53 PM
The one I had and sold a couple months ago was out of an 85

It also had the Cut stator wires and all ---beautiful shape it was

Lomax
07-06-2005, 06:01 PM
I sure like seeing those engines but I to think about the cost that is/was paid for it. Did yours have that sticker on the side of it like these do??

Billy Golightly
07-06-2005, 06:06 PM
The only thing I just noticed that I dont like is that the engines dont have spark plugs in them. Sure hope a mud dobber hasn't got in there.

Lomax
07-06-2005, 06:09 PM
The plugs were in them when I got there, We took them out so I could look inside the cylinders

hrc200x
07-06-2005, 06:11 PM
The engine in my '89 trx 250r's VIN number doesn't match up to anything in the honda book. Some part of the vin said it was a '87 motor, then the next part said it was a ATC motor. I'll get it again and someone can look it up.

I've talked to schools that have these motors and they say it was their deal with Honda that they cannot give the motors away, they are either to be used to learn on, or busted up and thrown away. Makes me wonder how all these are showing up. Possibly a new teacher comes in that wasn't teaching in '87/88 and wants to upgrade to a Briggs engine and puts up the R and X engines for sale.

Orangecnty250r
07-06-2005, 06:11 PM
I sure like seeing those engines but I to think about the cost that is/was paid for it. Did yours have that sticker on the side of it like these do??

Mine did not have the white sticker :wondering . Those motors pictured also look very nice

Lomax
07-06-2005, 06:34 PM
HRC200X: If you can give me those numbers I can give them to my Honda parts dist. and he might be able to tell me something. He has a book with all kinds of interesting information in it.

daputz
07-06-2005, 09:34 PM
I've talked to schools that have these motors and they say it was their deal with Honda that they cannot give the motors away, they are either to be used to learn on, or busted up and thrown away. Makes me wonder how all these are showing up. Possibly a new teacher comes in that wasn't teaching in '87/88 and wants to upgrade to a Briggs engine and puts up the R and X engines for sale.

Yeppers.........I just graduated a tech school for motorcycle mechanics (mid life crisis :p ). Our instructor was deathly afraid of honda yanking any support. We ended up dismantaling and recycling 3 cbx inline 6 cyl's :( everything but the key switch was sent to the crusher. They were early 80's and met their demise with under 10 (parking lot) miles.

This year honda donated a cr250 engine and an f4i engine for students to figure out which end of the wrench to use.

350x'inNY
07-06-2005, 09:59 PM
My 350X crate motor ended up being a '85 motor. I'd really like a 86 one, but happy to just have one! Lomax... how much for the NOS 350X carb? I need one of them yet!

Bruce

250rBeast
07-06-2005, 10:55 PM
This reminds me of the one year in high school that I took a class in Auto mehanics. The autoshop class as it was called, was taught in the same building as the small engines course, same instructor etc. Well, I very clearly recall that toward the end of the semester a large crate arrived with about 5-6 250R and 3-4 350x motors in it. I remember thinking why do these motors have hoses, carburators and electrical cables still half in tact? Some of them were even on the frame which was cut off at all corners except the bottom chasis where the engine was mounted. Some kid even stole one of the carbs off a 250R for his TRX. This was in 1989, I wonder if they still have them.

Lomax
07-07-2005, 01:16 PM
The carb goes in with the whole deal. Let me see what happens over the next few days on the sale of these items. If it doesnt work out then I will hit him up for the carb and see what he says.

Trike Dude
07-07-2005, 05:22 PM
um.... Shouldn't the fact that they are black tip you off that they were 85 motors and not the grey motors of 86 and later?

Lomax
07-07-2005, 05:48 PM
Never seen a 87 model motor before. I had no idea what color they were and I also never knew that they cut off any other engines until I seen these, so No it didnt really. I found out the next morning that they were 85's before i posted them on here.

hrc200x
07-09-2005, 04:31 PM
The number on my motor is: TBO6E-8006250