PDA

View Full Version : 250sx questions

strick9
06-30-2005, 02:36 PM
Hi all, I had a guy offer to sell me a nice 250sx for 250 bucks today, I will prob do it since I see that they go for alot more than that here. the body is all really good and the motor runs strong, and the only thing that I see wrong with it is the swing arm bushings are bad. the question I have for you all is are these good trikes? I like the suspension idea the Big red is kinda rough riding, but is there alot of power diffrence in the 200 to the 250, and are there more preformance parts for the 250sx? thanks in advance

bigredhead
06-30-2005, 02:40 PM
not much in performance parts..

but ALOT more power than the 200's...

GET IT NOW !!!! BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE DOES 1!!

they are great ! Best trike out there for the trail rider !!!!

Swing arm bearings can be a chore to do.. but do it right and she'll be good for another 10 years.

Reverse.... electric start.. 22's .. and good looks ! can't beat that.. and for 250 !!!!!! hell. you can sell the gas tank and plastics for that much.

chris200x
06-30-2005, 02:43 PM
I don't really know about performance parts for the 250sx. It's more of a utility trike and probably one of the most reliable ever made. those things are pretty much bulletproof. Maybe get yourself a diffrent exhaust and an air filter to sport it up a bit but they run strong just how they come. I would be all over that for $250 that's for sure. I especially like the super low first gear... you hardly need brakes!

strick9
06-30-2005, 02:43 PM
thanks I worked the deal and am going to pick it up in the morning....now I need to get a set of ramps to get them in the pickup.....would ride her home but its 50 miles of pavment....guess I could ride in the ditch all the way here. can you buy extended swing arms for it? while I am changing the bushings, I might as well put that in. But thanks for making up my mind...glad he needed the money really bad!!!!

bigredhead
06-30-2005, 02:46 PM
Shaft drive.. no chains no sproketc.. no extended swing arm....

you can load that puppy up with the help of another guy. not that heavy. don't need ramps.

mad_max
06-30-2005, 06:11 PM
thanks I worked the deal and am going to pick it up in the morning.... can you buy extended swing arms for it?

strick, the SX is a great all-around trike but from what I've seen of your questions so far you sound like you may want to get a 200X....
Try the SX, if you find you want something more sporty I'll take the SX off your hands for your purchase price. :beer

Huffa
06-30-2005, 07:05 PM
thanks I worked the deal and am going to pick it up in the morning....now I need to get a set of ramps to get them in the pickup.....would ride her home but its 50 miles of pavment....guess I could ride in the ditch all the way here. can you buy extended swing arms for it? while I am changing the bushings, I might as well put that in. But thanks for making up my mind...glad he needed the money really bad!!!!

If there is a bank around just back the pick-up to the bank with tailgate down so it butts up to the bank. You can drive it right in then.

Tri-ZNate
06-30-2005, 07:36 PM
The SXs are AWeSOMe! Lol I got 3 :D The sx is also pretty soft riding for a mono rear shock suspension, and the only thing that would make it even better is a 200x or 350x suspension on the front. Several people have done it, some who posted even. For 250 bucks I would expect a nasty looking, rough running (if it does), trike that needs bearings and brakes all around. You have a steal my friend.

Dirtcrasher
06-30-2005, 07:44 PM
As far as performance goes....

The front end can be changed for much higher leaps and there is an aftermarket rear pogo stick available also.

The motor can get a high compression piston, HD valve springs, WEB aggressive cam and a larger carb from the 350X bolts right on.

Wheel spacers can be added, aluminum bars and lots of other small items from it's brothers and sisters 200X 350X 250R can be swapped also.

They are no "racing trike" but what they are is the cadillac of all ATC's ever made.....

bigredhead
06-30-2005, 08:16 PM
every thing crasher said and then some.

Get some pictures as soon as you get thing thing.

don't worry about the loading... both of you grab the front forks.. put the front wheel on the tail gate. grab the rear axle and push in it. i weigh 160 and i can lift my half no problem

Yamahauler
06-30-2005, 08:26 PM
I think the SX's are one of the heaviest trike made, besides the Big Red, and I'm sure the Polaris Scrambler weighs a ton. Me and my friend can load his 250 easy enough, but they arn't near as light as a Tri-Z

Tri-ZNate
06-30-2005, 08:27 PM
don't worry about the loading... both of you grab the front forks.. put the front wheel on the tail gate. grab the rear axle and push in it. i weigh 160 and i can lift my half no problem

ok even simpler. Wheelie the front end onto the tail gate and then grab the wheelie bar and heave ho.

bigredhead
06-30-2005, 09:19 PM
Don't you love the feeling of getting a new trike !!!!!!!

oh man. i have goose bumps on your behalf.

mmmmmm SSSSSXXXXXXXXX

strick9
07-01-2005, 02:40 PM
:w00t: I got the sx this morning. it had not been rode for a month, and turned on the gas and hit the button and a few turns later we were screaming down the street. now that thing runs good, and alot faster than the big red. loading her was a chore since I took my buddies quad ramp with me and I have a lifted chevy. I had to sit on the tank and hit the throttle to keep from landing flat on my !@$ :p the thing even has a new set of rear tires, and new exhaust pipe. new battery...think I got the long end of the stick this time. the only probs I can find, and I have been on, under, around her about 500 times is the bushings on the swing arms are loose or wore out. and here is the big one. somehow the front end is tweeked a bit, if I am cruising down the road going straight, the bars are turned to the left some. I cant find a bent spot, but it sure feels funny. is there a way to straighten them? as soon as my brother gets home I will have him take some pics of them (wife said I could have a new camera or the sx guess I will have to borrow a camera from now on :D )

ChrisG
07-01-2005, 03:02 PM
Great find, and great atc. I have one and love it, there great for the trails like everyone mentioned. You can't complain for $250, just enjoy and make sure you change the oil and lube oil in the rear dif.

Chris

bigredhead
07-01-2005, 05:19 PM
oh btw.. it has an oil filter !!!!!!!! in case you did'nt know that !

Huffa
07-01-2005, 08:55 PM
Are you sure it's the bars that are bent?

Is the front tire in perfect centered alinment with the fender or does it seem the fender veers to the L or R when eyeing it ?

bigredhead
07-01-2005, 11:57 PM
Check the tire pressure on all 3.. should be around 3 psi or so..

the pulling to one side is caused by the swingarm bearings being shot... replace those suckers ASAP don't drive it hard like that . you con't want to mess up the swingarm pivot bolts.. or the driveshaft for that matter.

When you hit the gas the axle being on the left side will twist things around and you'll feel it in the footpegs..

or your forks might be bent.. but that swigner needs fixed and that machine will live longer than you !

mach1mike
07-02-2005, 09:21 AM
also the shocks could be needinga rebuild and that will cause a pulling to.