PDA

View Full Version : 200x problem again

83185s
06-30-2005, 01:04 AM
ok i got my new stator on there..its getting gas, spark, compression and its in time...why wont it even try to run? this thing has giving me nothin but problems after i raced that craptor..i just dont understand..i finally got my 200x carb and cam on it also so it should be runnin like a champ but it aint runnin at all..it gets plenty of gas, it has plenty of spark and a shitload of compression...and its in time so i dunno what could be wrong with it..anybody know what it could be this time?

chris200x
06-30-2005, 04:37 AM
Slide the red button on the kill switch to the run position.

bigredhead
06-30-2005, 08:32 AM
Slide the red button on the kill switch to the run position.

Hmpfff.... .. yeah i hate it when that happens. :D

Well.. obviously something ain't quite right...

As usual... regular diagnosis things to check....

- Crank it over a bunch of times with choke. remove plug and check if the tip is wet or dry.. if wet.. gas it getting there. if dry.. carb problem.

- Put a few drops in the cylinder . put plug back in crank it.. if it fires you got spark.. if it don't. timing or spark is either not happening.. not at the right time, or not strong enough.

- remove gas cap.. sometimes they plug up ..

- remove airbox lid.. try again.

- pull start it.

83185s
07-01-2005, 12:42 AM
i did that stuff brhead...its getting plenty of gas and plenty of spark and my timing matches right up...and uh the kill switch is on the "run" position...i make sure of that every time i try just so i dont waste my time...lolthis thing is really makin me mad..i have no idea what is wrong with it...if i cant figure it out the top end is goin on the 185 and im gonna ride that for awhile

200xkwit
07-01-2005, 12:54 AM
i had the same problem on my 200x ... check and make sure your fly wheel key is not shaved. ive spun a few magnets on my built up 200x

Lomax
07-01-2005, 01:45 AM
If your timing is good, then it sounds like your pulse rotor is out of time. They are adjustable you know.

ATCWRENCH
07-01-2005, 10:08 AM
hey 83185S you said you were running a 12:1 piston right? if so what octane fuel are you running? it doesnt matter how much fuel you are getting, if it wont fire under that much compression it isnt gonna work. you need to at least 91 octane with a bottle of octane booster.

200xadam
07-01-2005, 11:18 AM
i had a lot of trouble with my 200x..the one thing that messed most of it up, is in your CDI, theres that little bitty pin that goes in to hold whatever that thing is to time the spark...if your getting spark you could be getting it at the wrong time because of that pin being missing...gotta check the little stuff, * might need someone else to explain that a little better

83185s
07-01-2005, 11:42 AM
ok the fuel...ive ran it with the 12:1 with 87 octane..it works fine..lol pings alittle but works..that was only cause i ran out of gas on the road and somebody just hapopened to see me pushing and gave me like 1/2 a gallon to get home...but it will run on 87..its got 93 with octane booster..the cam pin is still in there and the flywheel key isnt shaved cause its new and it hasnt ran with that one yet...hey lomax...when the little holding spot for the cam pin is straight up the rotor is straight to the left..i just thought of that and on my 185 the rotor was always about diagonel (spelling) up and left ....is straight left the right way?...its not flipped 180 i know that..it gets a bigger spark this way

kilabeez0
07-01-2005, 12:32 PM
try it with a brand spank'n new plug. not one that you've cleaned a bunch of times. brand new.

83185s
07-01-2005, 01:25 PM
i have...doesnt work..i htink its the pulse rotor..cause i did switch them out when the thing broke on me and i found a bunch of old ones and they are all set different..i dunno what to do..the clymer doesnt say anything really..it doesnt run so i cant check the timing how it wants me to...i dunno...will someone run out to there 200x with a philips screwdriver and take off there cdi cover and see where the line on it is when they put the t mark on the flywheel at the top? it would be much easier..cause i can adjust it to where it will be there...2 of my rotors go straight up and the other 2 go straight left...lol i dunno what the f is goin on here...

83185s
07-01-2005, 02:33 PM
o baby i got er runnin...now my problem is that it wont idle for anything...it wont rev DOWN...its like it has an intake leak...but im sure it doesnt...but yea it runs so im happy...now i just need to know why it wont idle down...maybe my slide is getting stuck or somethin...cause when i hit the gas it sputters a bit kinda like a bad ace drag car with a rev limiter..* ever hear one of those? well thats what it sounds like..and id be out ridin if the dam thing would idle down...ive done my fair share of waiting on it to run...so thats what i need help with...please hurry! lol..ima go take the tank and fenders off and see if its the slide or not..it sounds good when it runs but wont idle down so i guess its an intake leak or slide is stuck

strick9
07-01-2005, 02:56 PM
is the slide in the carb in the right way? I only ask cause when I got mine running the slide was in backwards and it was at high all the time. just my .02 cents worth. and congrats on it running

83185s
07-01-2005, 03:08 PM
yea its the right way...i made sure of that..i just put some rtv red around the intake of the carb and at the head to make sure of no airleaks cause the rubber boot isnt cracked at all..so here in a bout 10 minutes im going to go fire it up again...see what happens...if it stays the same im going to put the 185 throttle assembly on...ill just change the cables out and go from there...im not likin that twist throttle anyway..lol it already pisses me off because i dont know it like the thumb throttles..so it should be ready to ride tomarrow after i get home from work..i work 11-6...that sucks..thats like all of my day cause i usually get up around 10-11..lol..and usually dont go to work till 4 and work the rest of the day till close..but at least i get off when its still daylight cause i plan on going to a couple partys...my friend just got back from iowa...he was in the house of hope for 8 months..it was that or he goes to jail for 8 months so he chose that and now hes got his act together and cleaned up...so im goin over there after work and then to my other friends house whoes havin a 4th of july party..even tho its only the 2nd..lol..thanks for the ideas and stuff guys..i guess the clymer does tell where that rotor is suppose to be...maybe this time i can go for awhile before it breaks again..lol

83185s
07-01-2005, 05:37 PM
alrighty...uh i get it to run..2 seconds later it will die..like its not getting gas..could it be that the 12:1 is starving for more? its jetted at 40 and 110...and it wont idle down..i still cant figure that one out..its not an air leak cause i rtv red'ed the whole intake boot...lol..and around the head and carb...i turn the gas on till the overflow starts comin and then itll run..but if i dont do that it wont..it wont even suck the rest of the gas out of the tube when its off...im not sure why but it wont...so heres my problem(s)
1. it will not idle down
2. it shuts off after about 2 seconds
3.its a pos..err i mean its great fun lemme tell ya
4. it wont stay runnin like i said
5. the carb keeps overflowing but thats the only way it will run

anyone know anything about these ?? its in time and the plug is wet everytime i take it out nomatter if it runs or not...im pretty sure that if i turn the pulse rotor 180 it will be off and not running...cause i did what the clymer said and it now works..just not right..im stuck again and i neeed to have it going right by 2morrow so i can ride with a bunch of my friends...please tell me i dont have to take out the 12:1..its a dam 3 hour job from takin off the plastics and tank to puttin the engine back on

kilabeez0
07-01-2005, 06:00 PM
Did you try adjusting the air screw AND the idle screw? One of them is hard to reach underneath. It also soundls like your carb is garbage, float getting stuck and possible needle getting stuck as well.

83185s
07-01-2005, 06:09 PM
well i rebuilt the carb with a carb kit so i figured it would be ok...when i got it it had some gunk in it but i cleaned and changed everything..ive tried messin with the idle screw..i having gotten to the a/f mix becuase i went by the book when i had it off and adjusted it to the "proper" setting..and it runs good alothough its running fully revved...i dunno..somethin is f'ed up and im getin pissed..lol..its in time..its not cutting out anywhere it just revs to hell and then shuts off

haywoodjalikme
07-01-2005, 07:07 PM
OK heres what I run....you can see may list of mods in my signature.

I have the 12:1 piston as well.....my opinion is running cheap gas with octane booster is your problem and not enough jetting!

12:1 requires a 112 octane rating I think..

1990 26mm XR200R carb with
118 main
42 pilot
needle clip in center slot
and pilot screw 1-1/2 turns out

I ran the $3 a gallon TURBO BLUE racing fuel for a while and it ran good sometimes then switched to VP C12 racing fuel($6.50 a gallon) and it runs like a raped ape...in fact I jetted down when I started to run the VP since it burns different.

If you guys wanna run 12:1 pistons cuz it sounds COOL to say you have one you have to run the GOOD fuels! Otherwise you can count on rebuilding the engine again very soon because the piston and valves won't last too long.

Also with the 12:1 piston you should have a bigger carb and definately need a aftermarket exhaust so the engine can breathe.

MTS
07-01-2005, 07:20 PM
running high comp wont affect your jetting, it is not using more fuel just compressing it more......i call air leak on the base gasket or head.

83185s
07-01-2005, 09:33 PM
well i think i know why it idled way up there..i checked out the throttle springs from my 185 throttle and the 200x throttle..ive been told that the 200x's is longer and a bit stiffer..well the one that was on my x was smaller than the one on my 185..so i changed them...now it wont start..it will go blah blah blah and then just roll down the hill..lol...id like to be ridin tomarrow like i had planned and this thing is givin me nothin but trouble...the fuel isnt the problem...like i said before..ive ran straight 87 in there and it ran ok it just ping'd ...its got 93 with booster..i cant afford runnin that vp c12 ...the pipe shouldnt be the problem either because i ran it before with the stock exhaust..but i am getting a pipe so maybe it will help out..well im sure it will but you get what i mean..the gaskets are new and the head gasket is the 2 piece copper ones...they are great..i blew 2 regular gaskets untill i got this and since then i havnt blown it..and it still isnt messed up..i can stay up awhile and rebuild it but i dont want to because it takes to long and i gotta get up in the morning...btw i took off my airbox lid and it seemed to help alittle so then i just put it back on and took off the big boot to the carb and the case fliter that i made for it and it helped alot more..and then the problem got worse by not starting..i really am not sure of what this could be..i think the carb needs redone again..everytime i go to start it i have to wait for gas to be pouring out the overflow..then it will but like i siad..now it wont do it

83185s
07-02-2005, 12:38 AM
ok heres wat i just did...took it off the frame, tore down the top end completely, put new gaskets on, stock piston and cylinder, and then put it all back together and on the frame...now..it doesnt have as much compression as it did..thats normal cause it had a 12:1 now it has 9.6 :1 ... and i tried kickin it over..seemed to want to go but didnt..so 2morrow before work im going to mess with it alittle more and see what happens..as i said ..id like to ride tomarrow after work with some of my friends so im hopin it will work out..and no im not getting the pipe i thought i was..so that will have to wait till next check or the one after that

BigRedRunner
07-02-2005, 02:57 PM
You probably have a bad valve. Had the EXACT same thing happend on mine. Sometimes you could crank all day and nothing. Then it would fire, run a for a second of two before dying. Sometimes it would start, and begin idling to the moon. I went over the boots, had the carb apart numerous times, with no results. This was after I "saved" it from a slow death out in a weed patch. I ended up just doing a ring job with a new valves and guides. Thankfully, I guessed right because the machinst found a bad valve when he did the head. It runs like a trooper now.

83185s
07-02-2005, 06:26 PM
yea im bettin thats it..i got a couple others i can put on..im bout to just get the 185 goin..all the trouble it gave me was stators...the only way it will stay runnin is without the carb boot on ...or with no filer and the airbox open..thats with the the choke off too..and the stock piston..so here in a few days ima work on it a bit..i gotta work the next 2 in a row so its gonna sit..