PDA

View Full Version : Tips on changing this bearing? (pic)

Dynofox
06-28-2005, 08:05 PM
Anyone have any tips on how to remove this bearing?

deathman53
06-28-2005, 08:12 PM
heat up the case, the bearing will almost fall out

bigredhead
06-28-2005, 08:34 PM
a " Blind Bearing Puller " . would do it too.

slide hammer with expander at the end.. i got mine from princess auto for my swingarm bearings on the SX...

how sensitive to warping are those cases and how much heat does that technique require ?

sblt500r
06-28-2005, 09:45 PM
i've heated those bearings up in other cases so hot that the case would almost melt and had to use a slide hammer to pull it out. even then it was a pain in the neck to get out.

you would have to use a acetylene torch to get it hot enough. just watch what your doing or you can melt the case. propane or mapp doesn't get hot enough.

Jason Hall
06-28-2005, 10:02 PM
I'm Just A Hillbilly, But I'm Agreeing With The Guy That Gets That Bearing Out Without Heating Anything Up. Who Wants To Change That Bearing Every 6 Months Because You Distorted The Aluminum So Bad On The Case.

hrc85250r
06-28-2005, 10:20 PM
duh, if you heat the whole thing up its all going to expand.....think about it, when you install them you put the bearing in the freezer and the cases in the oven, so how would it fall out if you put both in the oven....but yeah, you need a blind bearing puller, or a slide hammer with a hook that can get behind the races....blind bearing puller is best...

jenndnn3
06-29-2005, 07:24 AM
Dyno take everything out except the bearing. Turn the oven on to 350, preheat and slide case upside down in for aprox 10 to 15 minutes. You will here a distinct clink, that is your bearing falling out for you, allow to cool. Serve a new bearing and walla, fresh bearings ala carte...... Seriuosly dude it works.

Oh yeah use a cookie sheet, the wife, mom , gf might get a bite upset.

Dynofox
06-29-2005, 06:37 PM
Dyno take everything out except the bearing. Turn the oven on to 350, preheat and slide case upside down in for aprox 10 to 15 minutes. You will here a distinct clink, that is your bearing falling out for you, allow to cool. Serve a new bearing and walla, fresh bearings ala carte...... Seriuosly dude it works.

Oh yeah use a cookie sheet, the wife, mom , gf might get a bite upset.

Can I leave the other bearings in while using this oven method? They are all in good shape and don't need to be replaced. I do plan on replacing all the seals though.

jenndnn3
06-30-2005, 01:02 PM
The whole case will expand, so you may need to reset that other bearing. Pay attention to that.

250rAL
07-01-2005, 09:44 AM
duh, if you heat the whole thing up its all going to expand.....think about it, when you install them you put the bearing in the freezer and the cases in the oven, so how would it fall out if you put both in the oven....but yeah, you need a blind bearing puller, or a slide hammer with a hook that can get behind the races....blind bearing puller is best...

The case is aluminum and the bearings are steel. Aluminum is less dense so it will expand quicker than the steel.

edog
07-01-2005, 10:14 AM
Doesn't heating up aluminum ruin it's strucral integrety.Bearing puller sound the best to me.Right tool right job.

Yamahondaman
07-01-2005, 10:14 AM
The "Oven" Thingy Work's !! iv'e also took a Allen Wrench and Milled it Flat , Slid it under the Brg. and tilted it Back's and Forth then the Brg. Came out.. once i Bent a Flat Headed Screw Driver and it worked a couple of time's ...then it broke where i bent it .. HEY JENN !! Cookies can be Baked also after the Motor's Done !!! :-)

GreenBoy
07-01-2005, 10:36 AM
When it comes to removing the blind bearings this is the way to go --> see pics
There are also blind bearing pullers that go between the inner and the outer ring of the bearing.
This is the best solution to get the bearing out without causing any damage on the case.
The heat/cold method is good to get the bearing into the cases, but for getting them out I prefer the puller.

When the bearing is not sitting too tight you can also use a 90° screwdriver, this also worked sometimes.

We sometimes even drilled small holes from the backside (if this is possible) to hammer the bearing out.But we normally do this on machines at work that need a bearing change quite often, I never did it on a 3wheeler motor before.

strick9
07-01-2005, 03:01 PM
heating the case will not distort the metal as long as you dont get in a hurry to reinstall the bearings and dunk the thing in cold water....that is bad. just warm her in the oven and let it fall out. and then let the casing cool outside utill it is good and cool and then add the new bearing