PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a 250 SX!!

Power_Ram100
06-25-2005, 09:52 PM
I have been looking for a SX for a while. I posted that i was looking for one on 3w.org and a local guy had one he would part with for $800. Only problem it has a weak spark. Tommrow im gonna go over to ATCnut's place and get some parts off his parts bike. What do you think of it? Does anyone know if a 86 SX rear rack will fit a 85?

Matt

Maine_Triker
06-25-2005, 10:48 PM
Dang that's nice!!!! Awesome deal you got on her too.

I believe the racks are the same 85 to 86.

bigredhead
06-26-2005, 01:35 AM
Congradulations.. . you litteally STOLE that for 800 !... wanna trade !. mine's got good spark !

Huffa
06-26-2005, 05:07 AM
Nice going PR ! $800 seems like a bargin for sure and seems like it should have went for almost double that! Not too many on here seem to have an SX. Glad to see you join the club.

Does that still have the original tires on or did someone replace them with originals again?

Also..........does your front mud flap have heat melts in the plastic from the header pipe? My neighbor has one and it almost has the identical marks that my flap does. Almost seems like it comes stock a bit too close to the header.

Is that an illusion or is your throttle cable have a kink in it. So far, thats the only thing I can pick on :D

Man, and you even got the headlight guard too!

You gonna keep the stock rear meats and wear them out or get beefier ones? Personally, I don't like (for my riding area at least) them and took mine off even though they were like new.

I would think a 86 rack should bolt right on but not 100% positive.

Hey, check your rear fender supports. They should be supporting the fenders and not 2" away from touching it. Honda makes them wimpy on purpose and alot of times from falls they bend and people never seems to bend them back.

You can do it by hand very easily and it makes the fender section look just a bit better (flater proifile) instead of them arching downward at an angle.

Honda may have made them a bit too wimpy thopugh and maybe they just naturally start to bend downward from riding? That I don't know because I just bought mine but time will tell.

Power_Ram100
06-26-2005, 01:31 PM
It still has the original tires, they still have lots of tread left. The front fender dosent have any burn marks. Your right the throttle does have a kink in it. I did pull up the rear fender supports, the fender dosent sag anymore. Im thinking of putting bear claws on the rear for increased traction for hunting. This trike was barly ridden a few scraches here and there its the nicest trike i have ever bought.

Matt

Tri-ZNate
06-26-2005, 01:50 PM
Nice looking SX and welcome to the SX family :naughty:

trikerider2oo7
06-26-2005, 01:55 PM
wow. you got a great deal on her. get the spark strong and shell be ready for the trails

Huffa
06-26-2005, 02:14 PM
It still has the original tires, they still have lots of tread left. The front fender dosent have any burn marks. Your right the throttle does have a kink in it. I did pull up the rear fender supports, the fender dosent sag anymore. Im thinking of putting bear claws on the rear for increased traction for hunting. This trike was barly ridden a few scraches here and there its the nicest trike i have ever bought.

Matt

Not the front fender for heat melts but the front fender mud flap I was referring to.

I'm sure your open for any suggestions so here is mine for rear tires. I like these so much this is my 3rd set. Maxxis All Traks 22X11X8 - GREAT tires !! :beer

I love the way the MEATY tread wraps around the side and you can reverse them too for different riding areas that you encounter.

Hey ya know even though yours was ridden very little it's almost a sure bet that if it has the stock air filter yet it's most likely ready to fall apart. Check it out and see. They look good sometimes till you go to take them off then they disinagrate in your hands :rolleyes:

Rex Karz
06-26-2005, 07:57 PM
Those 250 SX'es are nicer than you would think even on the dunes. They feel kinda like a car with that shaft drive it's so "tight". I have a new respect for Ohtsu's LOL Maybe it's the extra power?
Here are pix of one my friend got for $800: :beer It's funny how cheap they can be had for. You know it's a good deal when the grips are not worn at all. :Bounce

http://www.rexkarz.com/ridepix/MVC-376F.JPG
http://www.rexkarz.com/ridepix/MVC-371F.JPG
http://www.rexkarz.com/ridepix/MVC-385F.JPG
http://www.rexkarz.com/ridepix/MVC-388F.JPG
http://www.rexkarz.com/ridepix/MVC-387F.JPG
http://www.rexkarz.com/ridepix/MVC-416F.JPG

Power_Ram100
06-26-2005, 08:04 PM
Nothing is melted. I saw where it does melt on ATCnut's SX though. The stock air filter is still in great conditon. I have maxxis all trax on my Tri Z they wook great. I have had very good luck with my BR and the Bear Claws. Ive been through some pretty nasty stuff and never got stuck with the Bear Claws. Also today i got it running. ATCnut compared the spark with his 86 SX and they were the same so the CDI is good. The carb is the problem. It was super gummed up. We cleaned it and it runs!! Im gonna clean it again and when my SX manual comes im gonna fine tune it.

bigredhead
06-26-2005, 08:32 PM
I love my SX.. personal opinion but best trail trike there is.

If you ever notice the shift lever sticking... aparently SX's and BR 250's are prone to **** pin problems... i'll find the link for ya later.

Check your rear end oil.. it takes 80w oil up to the fill cap... check your swing arm bearings.. make sure your hubs are tight with pins on both sides..

I highly recommend removing the right side wheel.. check the drum and pads.. clean it up.. those suckers are harder to find than Blue gold...

If you ever put a new tire on the front.. get some with stiff sidewalls and avoid extra wide one's as they can rub the forks and ruin them.

Bear Claws are nice.. but heavy..... if you get them.. be aware that 12's will rub the exhaust.. so stick with 11 " width.

Welcome to the SX clan !

Lomax
06-27-2005, 12:22 PM
Looks great man. I am about to go nuts here. I sold my SX Thursday and have been upset ever since. Yours is much nicer than the one I had, and I sold my for 500 (what I paid for it). 800 was definatly a good deal. If I hadnt just bought the 350, I would be trying to give you your money back plus some...

Power_Ram100
06-28-2005, 06:43 PM
I ordered the Maxxis Sur Trax tires for the rear. I was gonna go with the bear claws but bigredhead said they would hit the muffler. There a little more agressive than the all trax i think theyll work out good. THX for all your help.

Matt

bigredhead
06-28-2005, 07:13 PM
Those look pretty good..

did you get 22 11 8 or . 22 12 8 ????

The claws rub with 12's... i'm sure 11's would clear if you can get them in that size tho.

For the front.. i got a Front-Max and i like it so far.. the middle thread wears pretty quickly if you ride paved or alot of rocky stuff.. but in the snow and mud it's perfect.. specially in snow !!!

Huffa
06-28-2005, 07:22 PM
Those sure traks should work just fine and while we are on the 250 SX subject I'd like to show hoiw far I got with mine. I bought this for a $100 from Chico on 3WW.

Here on page 2 under Chico is how it used to look.

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=35894&page=2&pp=15

.........and here is how it looks now. Still a ways to go but it's getting there.

Maine_Triker
06-28-2005, 08:04 PM
Those sure traks should work just fine and while we are on the 250 SX subject I'd like to show hoiw far I got with mine. I bought this for a $100 from Chico on 3WW.

Here on page 2 under Chico is how it used to look.

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=35894&page=2&pp=15

.........and here is how it looks now. Still a ways to go but it's getting there.

That fender looks familiar, so do those triples. LOL looking good man.

bigredhead
06-28-2005, 08:39 PM
Hey huffa... was that shock replaced ? or claned up and painted ?

Power_Ram100
06-29-2005, 12:54 AM
I thought the bear claws only came in 22x12-8. I got 22x11-8 they were $40 each on RMATV. Im gonna keep the stock front tire.

Huffa
06-29-2005, 02:33 AM
Hey huffa... was that shock replaced ? or claned up and painted ?

Cleaned up and painted with gold metalic :naughty:

That's basically 70% of the whole project so far, either clean and paint or clean and polish + a few goodies from MT. Thanks again MT :beer

Yoe PW....... When I took the drum off the rear brake assembly it was like new inside with the exception of brake dust! I figured for sure there would be rust & dirt everywhere. That seal does it's job very well! The fronts needed a good cleaning up though as they aren't sealed.

Also, the brakes (F&R) are quite huge compared to the Yamaha 225's wimpo ones.