PDA

View Full Version : 200x starting problems

willcamach
06-23-2005, 09:17 PM
ok here is the deal i have an 84 200x with a k&n filter and a bassani pipe the engine has just been rebuilt not even 1 full tank through the engine just got it to start idle for a while then cut her off.... heres the problem it seems like it has a mind of its own starts with one kick at times sometimes takes 50+ kicks. my question is could jetting have anything to do with this. i rebuilt the carb and all seemed fine i upped the main jet from the stock 108 to a 110 could my problem be jet related should i go up a few sizes or should i just order a new carb from service honda???? im really at my wits end with this trike ive shelled out over 1200 bucks for the bike and rebuild and just want to ride not really interested in dumping to much more cash into it but would hate to sell if its a really minor problem.

bigredhead
06-23-2005, 11:06 PM
My guess is on carb setup.. needs fine tuned.. if it starts and runs fine once fire up... check valve clearances.. air/fuel screw settings.

Does it spew gas out the overflow ? getting any gas in the airbox? air filter clean ? with lid on ?

What's the plug look like ?

Does your headpipe glow orange after running for a few minutes ?

all things that lead to solution eventually.

willcamach
06-24-2005, 01:03 AM
no fuel spewing out or in air box i dont have the original lid but i do havve a cover for it all in all it will start its just hard as heck to get it started then the idle is a bit erratic when you give it gas it tends to bog down a bit then idle stays kind of high. i

cliff2302
06-24-2005, 03:31 AM
kinda sounds like your carb has some sediment in it. Take it off and without draining the gas, take the bowl off and see if you have and unwanted stuff in there. Your gas tank could have stuff in it. Thats the only thing i can think of. Good luck

bigredhead
06-24-2005, 09:07 AM
Check for air leaks. between the carb and cylinder.

Also.. if you remove the slide from the carb check the slant that the idle screw pushes against.. it might be all marred up.. if it is .. carefully smooth it out, or the idle screw will hit a different spot every time you hit the throttle and setting a consistent idle is near impossible.

willcamach
06-24-2005, 11:29 AM
big red thanks for that suggestion i just realized there were some marks on that slant you mentioned on the slide i will try to take the dremel to it tonight hope this helps out. as far as the jetting of the carb does a 110 jet sound small or about right for the setup i described .. i know jetting is complicated and has many variables but i dont even know where to start with this.

bigredhead
06-24-2005, 11:57 AM
Be careful with the dremel.. you don't want to take out alot of material..... maybe a piece of sand paper folded over a few times........

Consider your options carefully. might want to check the tip of the idle screw itself as well...

willcamach
06-24-2005, 12:25 PM
point well taken will try to not get too crazy with the dremel not sure if sand paper will work since the slide is a bit narrow