PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Inverted fork 250r clamps: Taking orders: Details in side

Louis Mielke
06-23-2005, 07:42 PM
Alirght I have it worked out that I'm having custom triple clamps made for the 85-85 250r (and anyting else you can bolt 250r triples up to).

I'm personally getting 1 set for my 250r and one set for my 500r. Here are the details as follows:

Custom machined triples
made out of T6061 Billet Aluminum
includes stainless metric hardware
two position offset bar clamps, (for various size bars availible)
accepts all 47mm inverted Kayaba cartridge forks

if I can get 10 orders they'll cost between $370-$400 a set. The more orders the cheaper it is obviously.

You must furbish your own stem. This means getting your stem pressed out or buying a spare set of triples from ebay.

For all those CR500 conversions out there, these will also work on your conversion project.

People who want triples for other trikes must make there own personal order. I can help you make arrangements but its going to be more expensive for only a single order.

Alright its time for you guys to get serious because this is going to require real commitment. I'm in talks with the guy so he'll make one prototype so we can check fitment and stuff and you can see his product. The stuff on his site looks pretty nice to me.Then I need serious orders with stems and probably a deposit.

J La
06-23-2005, 07:48 PM
Good luck with this one. I've been trying to get people to do this forever. I hope you get a better turn out than I did.http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12917&stc=1 http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12918&stc=1

Dammit!
06-23-2005, 10:07 PM
I'd be all over it if I had the cash. :(

250SX
06-23-2005, 11:33 PM
count me in

Aussieduner
06-24-2005, 04:48 AM
What model CR forks are used in this mod if your are using an 85/86 ?

Aussieduner

Louis Mielke
06-24-2005, 09:12 AM
These custom clamps will be made to use CR250 inverted forks. I saw your post earlier and must stress this is not a bolt on mod. I'm having custom clamps made that are not going to be cheap.

If you interested in getting in on this give me a PM.
My plan is to use trailing axel instead of the leading axel shown above.

hondatrikesrule22
06-24-2005, 10:57 AM
I know this has nothing to do with this thread, but that is the sickest 250r I have ever seen. :eek:

OldSchoolin86
06-24-2005, 11:54 AM
Just curious Louis, those forks look really long and when you flip it to a trailing alxe they will push the trike even higher. Do you have plans to handle the extra length? Cool project.

Billy Golightly
06-24-2005, 12:25 PM
I just noticed the other day that Race tech suspension will shorten the travel on any forks for under a $100, which is probably the way to go.

Louis Mielke
06-24-2005, 12:34 PM
As far as the height is concerned you need to remember this MX suspension is super plush. It'll lose almost a 1/4 if not more of that height once it's weighted. Also its not that drastic a change as you think it is. GO to my stie and check out the different suspension pics of my 500r. Some of the shots shown leading and then trailing. THe change made some difference but not as much as you think it would. And then HondaATC is correct, they make kits to change the hegiht and travel.

Billy Golightly
06-24-2005, 12:41 PM
I'm probably gonna do the inverted front fork swap eventually, but it wont be with 250 forks. I plan to use re-valved 80 ones, on my Tri-Z.

OldSchoolin86
06-24-2005, 12:50 PM
As far as the height is concerned you need to remember this MX suspension is super plush. It'll lose almost a 1/4 if not more of that height once it's weighted. Also its not that drastic a change as you think it is. GO to my stie and check out the different suspension pics of my 500r. Some of the shots shown leading and then trailing. THe change made some difference but not as much as you think it would. And then HondaATC is correct, they make kits to change the hegiht and travel.
1/4 of the way sounds like a lot. I think Billy hit it on the head, shortening would be the way to go because when you go to pull the front up to go over an obstical that extra 1/4 will come out and then you have to pull even further. Just seems like unless you did the extra work to the forks it wouldn't be much of an advantage over stock liquir R forks. Good luck on the project and thanks for the reply.

Louis Mielke
06-24-2005, 01:09 PM
Well whatever you guys do is fine with me. I'm pursuing this for myself at least, if no one else is seriously interested thats fine. As far as advantage....inverted cartridge forks are a totally different world from the stock ones. J LA already did the conversion and is very happy with his and my 500 already sits high in the nose so height isn't an issue for me. Between my works rear suspension and inverted forks on the front there won't be a plusher trike in exsistance.

Blown 331
06-24-2005, 01:13 PM
It might not look the best but can't you just push the forks farther up in the tripples?

Louis Mielke
06-24-2005, 01:15 PM
Yes. lol. Yet another solution. and honestly it won't look that bad.

Lots_Of_Nothing
06-24-2005, 01:30 PM
No you cant push them higher in the tripples. First Billy told me this, then I went to my buddys and checked out his line up of new dirtbikes. They are somewhat tapered, so they will only go so far into the tripples.

Blown 331
06-24-2005, 01:36 PM
No you cant push them higher in the tripples. First Billy told me this, then I went to my buddys and checked out his line up of new dirtbikes. They are somewhat tapered, so they will only go so far into the tripples.

Well if he is having custom made tripples they could be machined to clamp lower on the fork tube.

Louis Mielke
06-24-2005, 02:03 PM
I'm glad you brought this to my attention. Hmm. Looks like I need to go ahead and get my forks. The game is afoot! HAHA!

Billy Golightly
06-24-2005, 02:37 PM

This is correct. Some models have more taper then others. A few are ALMOST straight all the way down, but they do still have a taper. Almost all of the modern day MX bikes only have one place where the forks ride in the tripples. They are not adjustable for height by sliding them up and down like the old conventional ones. A few bikes have enough clearence to slide them, but only in MILIMETERS worth. Your not gonna get an extra 2 inches or so lower by sliding these up in the clamps like you can with conventional ones.

OldSchoolin86
06-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Well whatever you guys do is fine with me. I'm pursuing this for myself at least, if no one else is seriously interested thats fine. As far as advantage....inverted cartridge forks are a totally different world from the stock ones. J LA already did the conversion and is very happy with his and my 500 already sits high in the nose so height isn't an issue for me. Between my works rear suspension and inverted forks on the front there won't be a plusher trike in exsistance.
I appologize if your taking offence, that was not my intentions. The only reason I brought it up was for some constructive thought. For your avarage guy stock inverts would just be too high. As brought up by others you can't just slide them up and down to where you like them. So it looks like there may be a couple options; either design the clamps to help this like Blown has suggested or shorten the forks like Billy has suggested. It sounds like you want to help the sport as well as yourself and I think that's great. I was just tyring to help and make it more useful for those that would want to spend that kind of money. Good luck with the project.

Louis Mielke
06-24-2005, 04:40 PM
No offense taken. And I didn't really mean for it to sound like I took offense. Just kinda matter of factism I guess. MY bad if you thought anything else. Thanks for the support.

deathman53
06-24-2005, 08:41 PM
can they do them for us guys with short track kits? I'd be interested if they can make a set for a short track kit.

Louis Mielke
06-24-2005, 10:55 PM
Well if you got the cash I'm pretty sure this guy will make stuff to order. THe price break comes in if I can get 10 orders for the same item. Obviously if you wanna talk tohim about your own application go for it

the url is www.rswracing.com

J La
06-25-2005, 12:12 AM
There are a lot of good questions here. From my experience the height on the front end is not that bad if you have at least a 3" extended swingarm. I would recommend 4" or more. To ride it you don't notice the height much at all. Trust me, it is THE BEST mod you can do and it is worth every penny. I'm not really sure about the trailing axle thing. You would have to mount the brake on the right side and that wouldn't look as stock. Just my opinion. Good luck everyone and I hope to see more of these around. J La.

TrikerR
06-25-2005, 01:53 AM
has anyone thought of putting cr125 or even cr80 forks on instead of 250 ones.

Louis Mielke
06-25-2005, 02:27 AM
I think the 80 forks have been mentioned which I guess is a good idea other than the fact that the CR80 is ment for 12-15yr olds and therefore you'd need to have them rebuild for heavier riders. The 125 forks, i don't tihnk thy're very different from the 250 forks. I think at a certain point all three bikes started using the same oks, just different engine/frame geometry. (I maybe wrong but its a guess)

MassTrike
06-25-2005, 01:09 PM
Im in for a set, I have a few sets of forks at the savage yard that i picked out today, Im going to measure the OD all the way down to see where the taper increases the most and whatnot. The height should not be a problem for me due to the fact that Im a big guy and i like the height.

Louis if you could PM me with a exact deposit and all details that would be great. Thanks!!

OldSchoolin86
06-25-2005, 01:57 PM
has anyone thought of putting cr125 or even cr80 forks on instead of 250 ones.
Ya, I've been thinking about the 97-02 CR125 forks. They're 46mm which is plenty for a trike. I'm waiting on some measurements to see how long they are. The 250 forks are 5.5 inches longer then stock, it would be nice to find something a little closer. The biggest reason you wouldn't want the 80-85cc forks is that they are a small tube fork and even if you built them you'd still have flex like stockers.

esande151
08-03-2005, 07:12 PM
Definate intrest in this deal. When might it come about. I'm doing a complete restore to a mx set up. What do you need from me to get started.

What about CRF forks, are'nt the CRF's heavier bikes. Maybe this would mean stiffer set up on shorter forks?

Louis Mielke
08-03-2005, 07:27 PM
The project is still on the drafting table quite literally. I'm working on some tech drawings for the machine shop. Its going to be some time before this really comes to fruitation as I'm trying to decide on the best forks/ widths, material thickness, bolt locations.

I'm trying to make these perfect for everyones application. I need them to fit my 500 project and a stock 250r. I hope to have some drawings to put up on the board soon. Some CAD drawings hopfully.

I'll let you know what I need from interested parties soon enough. Input on what fork size is desired maybe a start. I'm think the 125 forks are agood idea. Still working on it.

But the project definatly hasn't died in the water.

Billy Golightly
08-03-2005, 07:50 PM
I'm flip flopping back and fourth inbetween 80 and 125/250 forks. I had almost decided for sure I was gonna use 250 forks but I'm kind of back on the 80 kick. The 80 forks simplify stuff so much by not having to bother with shortening them. Most of the 80/85/100 forks are in the 35-38mm range in diameter. For comparison, stock 350x forks are 35mm. 86 250R ones are 39mm. I'm doing more research to try and locate something in the 38mm range or possibly larger. The important thing to remember about inverted forks is that in the place they are most likely to bend, where they go in the tripples they are much much larger in diameter and more reinforced. I might just give Racetech a call sometime and explain my idea to them and see what they say, cause no matter what I end up with its gonna need revalving work at the very least.

3leggeddog
08-03-2005, 09:12 PM
well i am interested i bought some cr250 forks off ebay for my project.my biggets concern is the brake mounting.any ideas on that yet?

the cr forks are about four inches taller than stock 250r forks.

also what is needed to put a cr500 shock on 250r?i heard just the cr linkage.anyone done this?

Billy Golightly
08-03-2005, 10:26 PM
My plan is to use a matching brake caliper (and rotor possibly) to the forks and then adapt and make bracketry as necessary. It would be a good idea to find a stock dirtbike axle too, so you have something to go by for thread size and the diameter it needs to be where it is held in on the other fork.

For the rear shock, I'm not positive. The linkage changed from the earlier years. I have a brand new Progressive suspension brand CR500 rear shock I was gonna use on mine, but the place where the shock mounts on the linkage is thicker on mine so I had to use the OEM one. From what I understand, in 89 they made the last changes to the suspension setups and they use a slightly different linkage that is thinner in the area where the shock fork mounts. The CR500 rear shock is also quite a bit longer then a 250R shock. Good 2-3 inches atleast. That'll push your seat and ride height up more, plus whatever the linkage adds to it.

Billy Golightly
08-03-2005, 10:34 PM
After posting that I switched back to another window I had open that was loading while I wrote that and I found the PERFECT setup for what I want. 43mm inverted front forks in a perfect length made by White Power (WP) for the front of the KTM85SX dirtbikes. http://www.ktmusa.com/EN/models_7534.asp?id_seiten=7534

Now...I have to find some of those, the tripples, a front brake setup, and all the other misc crap. :D That right there is seriously what I'm going with as long as I can find some. Its absolutely everything I want.

RideRed250R
08-04-2005, 12:06 AM
louis is right, mx suspension loses 1/4 of its lenght when riding and hittin bumps and all that, all you really need to do is pump up the rear and be good...
adam