PDA

View Full Version : Been playin with the new proj's 86 triZ 87 T3

Orangecnty250r
06-23-2005, 07:10 PM
Well here is the start. These are supposed to be winter projects but i have been getting them ready.

86 Z
I sold my first 86 Tri Z for this one with much less hours. The chappy red plastics on this thing are flawless and shiny (dont have to replace or paint them) I think they may have been replaced along the way. The motor is seized but I only paid 600 bucks for the whole thing with the htracks on it. I just aquired this new OEM seat cover off ebay $44.00 bucks (going to have a professional do it right). I bought aftermarket forks boots but have one OEM new in package --maybe I'll find a mate for it someday. Bummed out about the front tire being discontinued. This will be stripped powdered and rebuilt.

87 T3
Bought it without the motor for 700.00 the the guy decided to sell the motor for an additional 300 which was great because i didnt want to have to put an 86 motor in it (no difference I just wanted it to be original). Needs a flywheel-- I have a new stator for it. I have been getting the new plastics/decals and the right shroud and headlight cover pictured are replicas from hornetpowersports (nice Job --i love them!!). I want to make this as nice as my 86 eventually as I acquire the harder to find OEM parts. I want restored 86 and 87 twins.

twgranger
06-23-2005, 07:18 PM
You have a fine collection!!

LonesomeTriZ
06-23-2005, 08:05 PM
Damn man, you take your rides seriously. Very repesctable collection.

MO350X
06-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Orange County, every time you post any info or pics about your collection, you can bet I'll be clicking on them and staring..wishing...dreaming.
Top notch trikes, man.
If it weren't for my unhealthy work schedule and family duties, I'd be doing the same thing......trike restorations.
That's why I appreciate your work.
I'm living my dream through your posts.

Thanks a million, dude.

Orangecnty250r
06-23-2005, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the compliments. I'm just glad to find a group of people that appreciate them as much as I do.

One of my aspirations is to be able to truck them around in the future and show them at some shows(we'll see). My friends love to come up and check them out and I can go out in my shop and fiddle with them all day long and not get bored. I think many ATV enthusiasts would love to have the opportunity to see some of these restores first hand. I' ll bet many have never seen a few of the 3 wheelers I have in real life. I Would love to give them a chance to check them out and shoot the S@*t about them with people.

Jeb
06-23-2005, 10:35 PM
You definitely do it right! :beer

You've got to add a fat-@$$ front tire 85 Tecate to your collection! I know allot of people think they are ugly but they are my favorite and I should have kept my 84.

It can't hold a candle to yours, but it was pretty nice before I got the bright idea to part it out. The pic doesn't do it justice. The tank & decals were NOS, the front and rear fender a next-to-new factory with a nice rear decal. Now all I have left is a bare frame. Other pic was the engine I was going back with. I'm almost embarassed to post this one in with the likes of your collection.

MO350X
06-23-2005, 10:39 PM
I feel VERY fortunate to have so many board members close-by.
I do enjoy talking trike or working on our trikes with Trike Dude or Kryten and meeting great fellow trikers like Scott ZJ, Yardbird and Hoser.

It is truly a "brotherhood" of sorts.
We're all looking out for each other for parts or that particular trike one of us might be Jonesin' for.
My wife still marvels over how much enjoyment I get out of tinkering with and talking about these old trikes.

I'd love to see your collection in person but the pictures do just fine for now. :beer

Orangecnty250r
06-23-2005, 10:59 PM
You definitely do it right! :beer

You've got to add a fat-@$$ front tire 85 Tecate to your collection! I know allot of people think they are ugly but they are my favorite and I should have kept my 84.

Wow That red one did look sweet!!. I've definetly tossed the idea of the early tecate around in my head --So much so that I almost bid on a few things like a guard and a stock exhaust system a little while back (but i held back for now) The way I look at it you gotta save some projects for the future and i'll bet the 85 tecate will be one of those projects. The one thing you definetely did right was buy some of these parts before they were discontinued.

MassTrike
06-23-2005, 11:27 PM
WOW, I feel like im in Kearney, that Tiger makes me drool, I better stop looking before I short out my keyboard! You do awesome work man!

Kintore
06-24-2005, 10:19 AM
Like MO350X said, I never get tired of your collection. And that tri-z oh man, makes me want to go out and buy all new plastics,airbox plastic and rad shrouds. So nice!
Ever want to rid of that Z, im always here lol JK you keep them better care than I would. Mines my daily driver, that clean I doubt it lol

Keep up the awesome work

Hornetpowerspor
06-24-2005, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the compliments. I'm just glad to find a group of people that appreciate them as much as I do.

One of my aspirations is to be able to truck them around in the future and show them at some shows(we'll see). My friends love to come up and check them out and I can go out in my shop and fiddle with them all day long and not get bored. I think many ATV enthusiasts would love to have the opportunity to see some of these restores first hand. I' ll bet many have never seen a few of the 3 wheelers I have in real life. I Would love to give them a chance to check them out and shoot the S@*t about them with people.

I know what you mean when you say that you can work all day on them and never get bored. I find myself doing that all winter long. Anyway keep up the good work, and keep those Trikes Alive!

Orangecnty250r
06-24-2005, 03:33 PM
I mentioned above I was bummed about the 86 23" tri Z front tire being discontinued. After blanketing the entire united states with emails yesterday including dunlop the company itself. I had 1 response from a supplier. I copied his email to me::

Well, I've got good news and bad news. The bad news is that tire has been
discontinued. The good news (sorta) is that my supplier has one left. I don't
guess one tire will do you much good, unless you found another one somewhere
else! Regardless, I told my supplier to hold that tire until I hear back from
you. Let me know.

He thought I was buying it for a 4 wheeler. So i paypaled the guy and it should be on its way :Bounce . We'll see if I really lucked out on this one. I'm going to have to see it before I really believe it.

Orangecnty250r
07-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Got some new stuff for the Z
Have alot more to acquire

Heres the new stock front tire (KT 732) 23" mounted on a sweet rim.

Here the stock rear tires (KT 733) --65%-- tread but at least I know have the factory rear tire look (Thanks Kintore)

The NOS seat cover was put on ---very soft , perfect red, smooth-- BUT whats wrong??? I'm not to happy when I got it home and discovered this??

edog
07-08-2005, 06:46 PM
The Yamaha Stensil is to far to the left.

Orangecnty250r
07-08-2005, 06:50 PM
The Yamaha Stensil is to far to the left.

You got it :beer . They trimmed some of the material to . Hopefully there is enough so they can pick all those staples out with their little fingers because its not going on my machine looking that way.

Kintore
07-08-2005, 10:46 PM
What do you use for your tires to make them shine like that!?
Normal tire shine?

I also agree, dont even think about putting that seat on the Z without it being fixed. I hope they can fix it!

x.system
07-08-2005, 10:53 PM
You got it :beer . They trimmed some of the material to . Hopefully there is enough so they can pick all those staples out with their little fingers because its not going on my machine looking that way.

You know what they say, you want something done right, do it yourself. LOL I"ve got about 10 stock R seats and even honda screwed up some of them like that. Can you imagine, honda making a mistake, unheard of. :D

I had a seat done a couple years ago and they did about the same thing except it was the lettering on the sides so I pulled it apart and redid it myself.

Maine_Triker
07-08-2005, 11:38 PM
You're lucky you got that front tire!! I can't wait to see this trike all put together and ready to drool over. :naughty:

Orangecnty250r
07-09-2005, 06:47 AM
What do you use for your tires to make them shine like that!?
Normal tire shine?

Black Magic Tire Wet Foam - the most potent stuff I've ever used. It even helps oxidized fork boots in a very nice way.

Darius1502
07-10-2005, 03:39 PM
Looking good man...

Nice job though. I think you are doing a hell of a job on all these trikes. I was going to buy that Tri Z cover but have been working on a KTM 550 MXC two stroke as my project.

I love three wheelers...but a nice 550cc two stroke dirt bike...is scary as all hell...and fun too!

Tri-ZNate
07-10-2005, 04:22 PM
Wow Very nice collection! Not many people can say they own the big three let alone the last 2 years of each! And you even have A TIGER! It none of my business but are you like a president of an oil company or something :D ?

Orangecnty250r
07-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Well I was able to straighten yamaha stencil but I hit a roadblock. I bought this "contractor grade" electric stapler and its Garbage!!!-- Dont buy this stapler--Won't penetrate the plastic seat pan. Hope they take it back. Anyone have a better stapler suggestion??

X system as for honda messing up the seats from the factory -- Must have been to much Saki :D

No I'm not an oil tycoon just work my @ss off as we all do. I am a therapist that works with brain injury and I treat about 40 -50 patients a week. (wear your helmets everyone) If I was that loaded -I would have made the Kearney yamaha 3 wheeler collection an offer they couldnt refuse.
I am looking to possibly start collecting some of the older racers we'll see so I may unload the 85 R in the future to make some room and to fund another purchase

Yamahauler
07-10-2005, 06:54 PM
That is an awesome collection, I am so jelous, haha

Tyler
06-28-2006, 01:36 AM
Man does that collection bring back some memories! I remember all of those machines new. I raced a couple of Z's when they were new. I even remember seeing a Tiger in late 1984. A real shame they never continued. Those Rotaxes were awesome motors. the 1980's was quite a time for quantum leaps in ATV technology. I can only imagine what machines would be like if the 1990's had not been the dark ages for ATV technology. Thanks for hearing the ramblings of an old three wheeler lover

wolfspider
06-28-2006, 03:47 AM
Well I was able to straighten yamaha stencil but I hit a roadblock. I bought this "contractor grade" electric stapler and its Garbage!!!-- Dont buy this stapler--Won't penetrate the plastic seat pan. Hope they take it back. Anyone have a better stapler suggestion??

X system as for honda messing up the seats from the factory -- Must have been to much Saki :D

No I'm not an oil tycoon just work my @ss off as we all do. I am a therapist that works with brain injury and I treat about 40 -50 patients a week. (wear your helmets everyone) If I was that loaded -I would have made the Kearney yamaha 3 wheeler collection an offer they couldnt refuse.
I am looking to possibly start collecting some of the older racers we'll see so I may unload the 85 R in the future to make some room and to fund another purchase

hi orangecnty
awesome collection dude !!!
if you`re having trouble stapeling the seat cover into the hard plastic, go pinch the wifes/girlfreinds hair dryer and warm the plastic before you staple it. works a treat, the seat pans are nearly impossible to staple if there cold.
hope this helps.
steve

350xBomb
06-28-2006, 04:31 AM
I feel like I should have paid an admission fee just for looking at a collection that fine. Im awestruck by that tiger. That's the first Ive seen that is acually distinguishable as a bike.

edog
06-28-2006, 07:55 AM
Looking good as always!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scooterroo
06-28-2006, 08:34 AM
dman orange, you are one lucky son of a biatch to have all them trikes, and as nice as they are. in my opinion you have to be the trike god on this site. i love all your bikes, especially the t3's. them 86-87's remind me of being at alpin haus drooling over the 86 when it first came onto the showroom floor, and yeah you need to have both the 84 and 85 t3 to top off that collection. thats my dream. i want one t3 of each year, and then throw in an 87 and 88 t4 to complete it. maybe even a kx250 so i have all three. bike trike and quad. awesome restore orange, simply awesome. and yeah if i was you i'd be taking that seat back and throwing a fit till they fix it the right way.

Orangecnty250r
06-28-2006, 09:02 AM
WOW what A year can do!!!!!...Glad you guys like the collection. Its alot of work that I love to do but its truly like another job.... its that involved. Well In the past year there have been several additions and 2 MAJOR restores which will be fully unveiled by fall (81-250R and the 86 350x)..youve seen glimpses of them both but there is roughly another 8 weeks of searching for smaller hardware type parts.The 86 Z will be this winters project and the 85 and 87 tecate restores will be done in the future...(parts collection phase can last a long time!!!) The 86 Tecate restore was my first and I've learned alot since...its unbeleivable and in showroom looking condition but have no doubt when the rare 87 rolls out done it will blow it away. I am working on building a dedicated showroom to display all of these which will hopefully be ready to house them by Winter. The showroom will have huge banners taken from pics of each of these machines from the old magazines in big picture frames behind the same one displayed, my hondaline gear wearing mannequin will hopefully find goggles, boots, gloves, and chest protector,and display cases with hondaline accessories and other memoribilia will also in there. Also custom plaques for each machine and some roped off machines etc :D ....I am holding off taking pics of all the machines together until that happens , but its getting closer everyday:TrikesOwn

Orangecnty250r
06-28-2006, 09:11 AM
and yeah if i was you i'd be taking that seat back and throwing a fit till they fix it the right way.

Oh yeah since the original post was from a year ago...the seat has since been fixed and looks great plus the bonus is I found another NOS red seat cover :w00t:

edog
06-28-2006, 10:26 AM
I want to see more pics of the 350X in your avatar?

Orangecnty250r
06-28-2006, 05:35 PM
I want to see more pics of the 350X in your avatar?

Coming soon...very soon. You wont be dissapointed. Its my rare Hondaline accessories showcase

Mosh
06-28-2006, 08:05 PM
Got some new stuff for the Z
Have alot more to acquire

Heres the new stock front tire (KT 732) 23" mounted on a sweet rim.

Here the stock rear tires (KT 733) --65%-- tread but at least I know have the factory rear tire look (Thanks Kintore)

The NOS seat cover was put on ---very soft , perfect red, smooth-- BUT whats wrong??? I'm not to happy when I got it home and discovered this??you should have sent that seat to me.

ATCwithdrawals
06-28-2006, 09:31 PM
Yes, that is a nice collection indeed OC, Kearney should be getting a little nervous with that for competition. Anyways, I wanted to ask about the OEM stock rear tires you have pictured for the Tri-Z. Are those for an 85 because I thought the 86 were a different tread design? Keep up the good work and let us know on the future vintage recers you want to get.:beer

clutchcargo
06-29-2006, 07:40 AM
Nice Bikes!! I would love to see close pics of the black/red tri-z. It's nice to see people restoring trikes properly. Keep up the good work!

Orangecnty250r
07-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Anyways, I wanted to ask about the OEM stock rear tires you have pictured for the Tri-Z. Are those for an 85 because I thought the 86 were a different tread design?

The ones pictured are the 86 pattern, The 85 is a square knobby similar to the 84 ATC 250r stock. The 86 tires pictured have the dimples missing due to wear but thats definetly the pattern.

OZQUAD44
07-02-2006, 01:54 PM
Orangecnty
Firstly, I think you have the best colletion of trikes I've seen. Do you ever ride any of them

Secondly, I know this question has been done to death else where, but, looks like your 86 T3 tank has been painted? Was it hard to get done? Did you have to prep it? I've got an 87 T3 that needs a touch up to match the rest of the plastics and I'm worried about it getting ruined in the process. I wonder if the paint will stick at all because of the years it has had fuel soaked into it.

Thanks

Orangecnty250r
07-02-2006, 05:38 PM
Orangecnty
Firstly, I think you have the best colletion of trikes I've seen. Do you ever ride any of them

Secondly, I know this question has been done to death else where, but, looks like your 86 T3 tank has been painted? Was it hard to get done? Did you have to prep it? I've got an 87 T3 that needs a touch up to match the rest of the plastics and I'm worried about it getting ruined in the process. I wonder if the paint will stick at all because of the years it has had fuel soaked into it.

Thanks

Thanks OZ,

Question 1....I have been an avid ATV enthusiast since I was 14 (now 20 years) have ridden and own/owned 2, 3, and 4 wheelers. I do not ride any of the three wheelers that I put tons of Discontinued NOS on $$$$. I photo document the entire restoration and take an individual picture of each NOS part with its factory packaging I put on...My restorations are so much more than just powder coating some parts and throwing factory plastics on...I typically buy every new part I can round up, rare tires, some super rare discontinued plastics, etc, etc, etc and 100% OEM. It would be like burning the money up. My Ultimate goal is to have a personal Museum with ALL the machines looking like they did on the showroom floor NEW!!! .My rider is the 85 1/2 Tri Z and I love it, rode it today on my property when Taking a break from house work. I am thinking of finding a clean 86R as a daily rider since I dont drive my 86R (to nice) to replace the Z but I may do that next year...to much going on right now

Question Number 2....The tecate tank is definetly painted. I brought the new shroud down and had it color matched....it was the only way to get the tecate looking NEW....kills me but it was my only choice...to look at it in person it looks super sweet and many people have said when they look at it...where did you get the new tank??. I have not put gas in it since done, the paint has no issues but I couldnt be so certain if gas were put in it....I had it professionally prepped and done...proper prepping, cleaning, wet sanding is very important and yes it had the brown stains in the plastic prior.

slothminx
07-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Your collection facinates me everytime i see it. so much work into thses trikes.

Just putting mine back together I got a few chips and bumps to the paint, people need to knw it really isnt as simple and bolting new parts on to make these trikes look like yours.

Id love to see them in person one day.

Orangecnty250r
07-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Just putting mine back together I got a few chips and bumps to the paint, people need to knw it really isnt as simple and bolting new parts on to make these trikes look like yours.

Thanks for the appreciation of what goes into these :beer

Yes very true and many dont realize...hell I didnt until I really got into it , And there is nothing wrong with that, I love it when people here put bolt ons, aftermarket ride, etc. i love to look at all trikes no matter what method of "fixin up". I also know some people here are as picky as me!!!To put one of the restores in perspective my last 2 service honda orders came to 539.00 and 831.00 for OEM hardware, brackets, and cables for 3 machines and thats not all they needed by a long shot.....its all for the love of the machines !!!!! One would never do that for resale:crazy: Average price per restore has been about 5000.00 some higher some lower depending on how far I go....hell I could has bought a small island in the south pacific for what I have into the 81R but its unparalleled :lol:

As for putting it back to gether after refinishing, Yes very stressful, especially the 81 R I wrapped the frame with Saran wrap anywhere contact was possible, Even put the 350x motor (those of you who have handled these know the weight :D ) in solo with that method, no damage...wheeeew!!

85ytz250n
07-03-2006, 12:39 AM
My hat is off to you, and everyone else that puts in the hard work, time, and money that it takes to have machines that look like they have been in a time capsule. That being said, since you want to show what they look like new, I will continue to ride the hell out of my Z, after its heart transplant :).

Barry

Kintore
07-03-2006, 08:51 AM
The ones pictured are the 86 pattern, The 85 is a square knobby similar to the 84 ATC 250r stock. The 86 tires pictured have the dimples missing due to wear but thats definetly the pattern.

Sorry bout that Bill! 20 years of use will do that to a tire!

I LOVE your collection, and yes Im still waiting on your whole group photo in your showroom. Your nuts! 5g's- thats USD

Lets see, a grand total in my including bike cost, 3900ish CAD! Thats like 3500 USD! and im broke!:rolleyes:

Saweett!:w00t:

OZQUAD44
07-03-2006, 10:38 PM
One day I will be taking a visit to the US, and your collection will be be right up there on the "places to visit list"

I always wanted to do somthing like that (trike museum) here in Oz but Trikes were never big here like they were in the States, I wish you all the best in your endevours. It really will be a sight to see, Don't give up. I can't wait to see it up and running