PDA

View Full Version : low compression, oil on the top end, knocking and other horrors

Oldshell4481
06-22-2005, 09:25 AM
A. alright, i believe my 200x has very low compression due to the fact that i have to hold the gas wide open for it to get enough compression to start.

B. there is greasy oil all over the top end (spark plug side) i am wondering if this is probably my gaskets and would this be causing low compression??

C. the machine knocks like crazy, could this be caused by the low compressiom, bad gaskets, bad rings?

D. if i get a rebuild what are the chances that all i need is a top end rebuild?

and howdy if you see this i send you a PM about a rebuild..

bigredhead
06-22-2005, 09:27 AM
wow......

The knocking could come from the valves or even the timing chaing slapping around in there if it's severely worn.

What's the story behind this thing ?

The oil.. check the de-compression lever area.

bigredhead
06-22-2005, 09:38 AM
oh.. and holding the throttle wide open should have nothing to do with giving you more compression.

I say your timing is either off.... or valves are sticking.. etc... do you have a good solid exhaust on that thing or a rusted/rotted pipe ?

Oldshell4481
06-22-2005, 09:43 AM
well i bought this off a user on here for 500 plus my 12 gauge (not the nicest gun). it came with a spare motor in pieces, plus a roller, and and 2 sets of plastic, spare triple tree.. he said it burned oil which could be the rings, never mentioned the knocking, i dont care im just happy to find a 200x in this area, and love taking apart and putting stuff together anyway, so ill have 2 projects now.

i think im going to send this in, unless its just head gaskets and the valves, which i have no clue how to check valves, and i didnt know 200x's had a decompression lever?? where is this located.

jenndnn3
06-22-2005, 09:45 AM
No decompresion lever on this thing,,, Unless someone put it there.
Besides if he was losing oil there would not effect compression. It would make an oil mess however, the head cover has a seal gasket that you put on via the tube (cannot think of name not enough coffee), not a premade like the rest.

If your into a complete rebuild, have valves done, have cylinder miced, piston miced replace, hone/andor bore. And no ands if or buts about it, replace the timing chain.

bigredhead
06-22-2005, 09:45 AM
on the right side of the head.. at the front corner .

Oldshell4481
06-22-2005, 09:46 AM
the exhaust leaks and i need to replace exhaust gaskets/ im going to buy a DG krome power exhaust for it and replace them then, i figured i would be sending this in so i would not be in much of a rush to do that, and am not going to be riding it until then. i now can kick it over without having to hold it wide open and to first get it started i had to hold it wide open.

chris200x
06-22-2005, 09:46 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a 200x with a decommpresion lever.

jenndnn3
06-22-2005, 09:47 AM
I have one, but no there is not one on it.

bigredhead
06-22-2005, 09:49 AM
Were all X's like that ? no decomp ? I was sure that all the 185 / 200 series motors had that on them ...... wow. sorry bout that.

jenndnn3
06-22-2005, 09:52 AM
Every one of those did EXCEPT the 83-85 200x. These are the only ones that did not have em. Hmmm wonder why so many kickers hit the toilet. This is as far as I know.

bigredhead
06-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Will the head accept the assembly if one wanted to put one on ? or is the head milled/made without allowance for one period ?

* Goes looking for X pictures...

Oldshell4481
06-22-2005, 09:59 AM
how much does a rebuild usually go for locally, ill have what you mentioned done, i want this thing running mint. im going to try and stay away from boring, what do you mean by micing? not to sound dumb.. valves will be done, new piston (might as well while its out), and if you guys say so i will replace the timing chain.. (also known as cam chain??)

chris200x
06-22-2005, 10:03 AM
Some shops are $40+/hr plus parts

bigredhead
06-22-2005, 10:04 AM
Mic'ed refers to " Micrometer " an instrument to measure within 0.001 inches or so. for wear and tear... highly accurate .. and not so easy to use.

bigredhead
06-22-2005, 10:09 AM
A whole top end job would include... Valves.. guides.. springs... timing chain and tensioner.. piston / rings.. cylinder.. gaskets, plug.. all need to be checked, spec'ed and all that . Even the crank should be looked over for execive play or wear.

jenndnn3
06-22-2005, 10:11 AM
I paid $256. I was able to reuse my piston, and the exhaust valve.
I had new rings installed, I had crank bearings installed, I bought a new timing chain, new intake valve and a lap and seal on the valves. New gaskets, and new timing sprocket, lower half. Oh and I took the stuff in pieces. They put stuff on for things I dont have tools for. Valve cutting, and crank bearings, I paid 5 bucks to save the rering installment too...call me lazy.

On crank bearigs that requires a split and you have to check to see if you need those.
A micrometer, measures the cylinder, feelers to measure the ring areas of the piston... and so on. If you have a manual, it will show all of this stuff.

Some of the stuff you may not need. You just need to measure for the tolorences. again refer to manual. I would take the 2 engines you have, and use best stuff out of each. Most time tho you will find it is the same stuff that is wrong, but not always.
You mentioned useing Howdy, I highly recommend you do so. From what I hear he sets you up good.

Oldshell4481
06-22-2005, 10:23 AM
yeah if i send him the motor ill see if he can use the best parts of both to rebuild one good one, and ill rebuild the other one later when i have more money and want to start a project. now i just need to get some dough together, get ahold of howdy, and get it outta here.. im gonna go pull the motor right now i guess

Oldshell4481
06-22-2005, 12:31 PM
well i just pulled the motor, i need to drain the oil, anyone know what size socket to use, i dont have it here so i gotta borrow it from my friend, looks like about a 19 or 20mm,, anything else i should do besides plug the holes that could allow things into the top end and crankcase??

83185s
06-22-2005, 03:58 PM
yea in standard that ig bolt is a 15/16 ... i htink its either a 19 or 21 in metric..never had a metric socket that big so i didnt euse it..lol

bigredhead
06-22-2005, 04:02 PM
You should invest in a metric socket set....... using standard sizes on metric bolts is a great way of making a mess of your bike..... ( yes... i know it can work.. but . for how long ? )

Oldshell4481
06-22-2005, 07:40 PM
exactly my thoughts, i had to use a 1/2 inch today and caught it before stripping.. ill get one of them. we once had tools when i was little and liked to play mechanic and lost them all.. never bought any since.. im going to check a local guy and see what he has to say about the motor...

willcamach
06-22-2005, 08:18 PM
im located in socal and just had my entire top end done on my x paid 545.00 parts and labor now she runs like a raped ape. i say take it to the pros if you have any doubts.

MTS
06-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Is the oil plug the same as the regular 200's ? on the left side of the motor big bolt? if so its 24mm