PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Old Style Maier Fenders

BigRedRunner
06-21-2005, 07:36 PM
Has anyone ever gotten the old style Maier fenders to shine up? I followed chainsaw's how-to on plastic work and got my tank shinning rather nice. I stopped at 800 grit paper and hit it with some 3m perfect-it III compound on a foam style pad. I tried this on the old dull style Maier rear fender I have and its not looking so great. The only way I can get to shine is if I run the buffer on the verge of burning the plastic. Its shines great, but has little burn marks in the plastic that are a PIA to get out with out sanding again. Even trying a more agressive rubbing compound (perfect-it 3000) didn't help. I'm going up to the shop to see if I scrounge up something in the 1000-1500 grit range on paper. Think a wool pad would help any on this or not. Suggestions on anything?

CHAINSAW
06-21-2005, 11:53 PM
I tried shining some up also, but didnt have as good of success. I sanded clear down to 1000 grit, then put plastic renew on. It didnt stick that well because I sanded it so smooth, and you could still see the scratches. wish I could help ya out, but I havent figured out a way to shine them up to look really good yet.

x.system
06-22-2005, 01:26 AM
I use perfect-it II Rubbing Compound (Part number 05973) with a wool pad at low speed, about 1400rpm. You should sand to at least 1200 grit on plastic. I havn't tried the dull plastic but it should still shine after that method. I tried stopping after 800 grit and found there was no way to get the fine scratches out without sanding with finer paper. I stop at 1500 grit. After I get it done with the compound I go over the whole part again with 3-M's plastic polish with a foam pad. I don't think I have any dull plastic or I would give it a try. Heres the results after about 2 hours of sanding, buffing and polishing. This tank was beyond dull when I started, it was half white on top.

bigredhead
06-22-2005, 09:43 AM
ever try kissing it with a flame ?

You have to do small aereas as a time and let it cool so it don't warp on you.. but clean it spotless ( otherwise debris will melt into the plastic.. and you'll never get it out ) then with a medium sized torch just lightly run over it...

I started this on the underside of my old big red's fenders and it took a while to get the hang of it .. but if you have broken/spare useless plastics.. try it out !