PDA

View Full Version : Got the Speedo Installed On My 350X (I couldn't resist)

Maine_Triker
06-21-2005, 12:22 PM
Well, I got the bracket in the mail today (A very nice one I might add :beer ), and just couldn't hold back from installing the speedo. Yes, that gearbox is a 250es one but who cares, it's better then nothing.
I have the parts that hold the speedo cable to the fork, but zip ties work just as good. :D

I took the X for a ride down the road and man is the speedo awesome!!! :Bounce (just have to remember to calculate the proper speed since the geabox is about 6% off)

All I can say is :w00t: MAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (imitation evil scientist)

:w00t: :TrikesOwn

Phil

kilabeez0
06-21-2005, 12:34 PM
well what speed did you hit???

Maine_Triker
06-21-2005, 12:38 PM
LOL I only went about 35 on my short run. Enough people with speedo's have taken their X's to max speed, so I figure why should I. Just risking damage to the machine or yourself.

petesatc
06-21-2005, 03:15 PM
hey Phil
the speedo's have a tolerance of +-10% so there's a good chance the grearbox is the same as the 350/250r ....i have done my reserch on this one.....
by the way it looks very sweet dude :D

250r'en +TCB
06-21-2005, 04:25 PM
looks awsome!!! did you buy it on ebay or from the honda dealer??? I want to get one for the R....
By the way, I hope those zip-ties you used were hondaline zip ties!!! lol just kidding...
-Devin

jeswinehart
06-21-2005, 06:03 PM
It looks great ! i see your speedo cable is like mine ,,, a tad on the long side. i have a couple of places to borrow a cable from so i'll keep you posted
if i come up with a shorter/cleaner looking cable install.
i just looked and i don't have any extra cable guide things. I don't know if it is correct or not but i used a brake cable guide on my speedo cable ,,, just tweeked it around a little. it works just fine and matchs the left fork guide.

john

Maine_Triker
06-21-2005, 09:21 PM
I took the X for a ride this afternoon, and of course the speedo rocks. :D

hey Phil
the speedo's have a tolerance of +-10% so there's a good chance the grearbox is the same as the 350/250r ....i have done my reserch on this one.....
by the way it looks very sweet dude

I did not know that, COOL!!!! We'll have to do a side by side run with the 250es and 350x to check it out.

It makes sence, since honda made the 110/185/200 kit, the same for all those trikes, but the tire size is different!

looks awsome!!! did you buy it on ebay or from the honda dealer??? I want to get one for the R....
By the way, I hope those zip-ties you used were hondaline zip ties!!! lol just kidding...
-Devin

Actually I got it NOS from a small bussiness in central Maine, the guy had bought an entire stock of old parts about a year ago from a local dealer. I got the display used on eBay, but you can still get the red faced kind from Honda.

It looks great ! i see your speedo cable is like mine ,,, a tad on the long side. i have a couple of places to borrow a cable from so i'll keep you posted
if i come up with a shorter/cleaner looking cable install.
i just looked and i don't have any extra cable guide things. I don't know if it is correct or not but i used a brake cable guide on my speedo cable ,,, just tweeked it around a little. it works just fine and matchs the left fork guide.

john

Well, we all know 350x'inNY used the correct stuff. Here is a pic I dug up of his 350x: The cable guide is similar to the 250es one, but attachs in a different way of course. I'm sure he'll chime in and give us the details. I was thinking of tweeking the 250es one I picked up, but decided not to. I will probably make a custom one when I get the time.

Thanks again for the bracket >>>What do I owe you for it?<<<

Phil

r00sty
06-21-2005, 09:28 PM
:cry: r00sty wants a speedo..........

Maine_Triker
06-21-2005, 09:30 PM
:cry: r00sty wants a speedo..........
Keep looking man they are out there.

jeswinehart
06-21-2005, 09:36 PM
I took the X for a ride this afternoon, and of course the speedo rocks. :

Well, we all know 350x'inNY used the correct stuff. Here is a pic I dug up of his 350x: The cable guide is similar to the 250es one, but attachs in a different way of course. I'm sure he'll chime in and give us the details. I was thinking of tweeking the 250es one I picked up, but decided not to. I will probably make a custom one when I get the time.

Phil

that might be the correct cable holder ,,, just like the one on my bigred.
i'll stick to my tweeked one for my x ,,, it don't look so bigredish.
bring a couple of cases to Haspin06 + help me drink them with all our freinds there ,,, that oughta cover it :)
( you are always over 21 at Haspin )

john

john

350x'inNY
06-21-2005, 11:33 PM
I took the X for a ride this afternoon, and of course the speedo rocks. :D

I did not know that, COOL!!!! We'll have to do a side by side run with the 250es and 350x to check it out.

It makes sence, since honda made the 110/185/200 kit, the same for all those trikes, but the tire size is different!

Actually I got it NOS from a small bussiness in central Maine, the guy had bought an entire stock of old parts about a year ago from a local dealer. I got the display used on eBay, but you can still get the red faced kind from Honda.

Phil

Couldn't you find a better pic of my trike???? I took that while waiting for my tank cover to get back from CEET.... There's a black ring that goes around the lower fork, but with the fork covers on, it won't reach completely around. The major difference is the way the gearbox sits on the axle. The 350X has the cable going over the axle into the box, where as that 250ES kit has the cable behind the axle.

This is what comes in a 350X kit..... It was very similar to the HA2 250R kit I just traded.... The diameter of the plastic clip is larger on the R, and of course the R has the additional subwiring harness to feed the speedo light off the taillight connector. It was wierd, but the speedo gearbox was stampled 'HA2' on it... My OEM 350X kit had nothing stamped on it and the other 350X gearbox I have has nothing stamped on it either. The other difference is the 350X kit came in a white cardboard box, where as the HA2 kit came in a plastic bag.

Here's a pic of the 350X OEM kit right before I installed it a couple years ago.... the wiring harness in that pic was the spare HA2 harness the "banned and nameless" threw in with it. That harness is in transit to the UK as I type....

Bruce

atcmatt
06-22-2005, 03:54 AM
Looks great mate. Heard any news on your buddys so called find yet???

Matt

Maine_Triker
06-22-2005, 08:33 AM
Yeah sorry Bruce I was in a hurry so I went back to a newer post instead of trying to find an older one.

The 250es gearbox has HA0 stamped on it, and came in a bag. The instructions say that the year of publication was 1984.
The parts for holdng the ES cable onto the forks are slightly different then the 350x or 250r kit, the bottom one is the same, but the one on the lower triple clamp is made to mount differently. And there is of coure a third one on the ES kit that mounts on the top part of the fork.

The 350X has the cable going over the axle into the box, where as that 250ES kit has the cable behind the axle.
Yup, that is why I ran my cable on the other side of the fork, having the cable behind the axle creats problems on a 350x.

Looks great mate. Heard any news on your buddys so called find yet???

Matt
I'm still waiting, if I don't here back from him we're going to take a ride up there. I think the guy he was getting it from may have other accessories besides the speedo kit. :naughty:

BTW: I looked at my Hondaline instructions for the NOS HL guard with grill, and the year of production says 1985. So that must mean that the kind w/grills came after the kind w/out them. ;)

I'm going to try to figure out the wirering today as well as add the blue covering to the cable. I was going to use one of those brake cable guides as well, but couldn't find any extra hanging around.

Phil

Maine_Triker
06-22-2005, 05:35 PM
I rigged up the wireing in 5 mins :p

Also added the blue covering, and I decided to use the cable guides that came with the ES kit after all. I used the one that goes on the top part of the ES fork for my lower triple clamp guide, it looks awesome. :cool: I also ran the cable on the proper side of the fork.

Took out the Big Red and the 350x in a side by side run, and I'm sorry to say it but the tripmeters read different after going the same distance. :cry:

Bruce: I got the number off my speedo cable before I added the covering: KK1-000-7E15
Dont know if thats a PN or what but maybe you would know.

Later all--
Phil