PDA

View Full Version : does my 82 big red havea oil filter ?

soopa villain17
06-20-2005, 02:45 AM
im gunna change the oil for the first time since i bought it tommorro ,i was wondering if there is a oil filter ? thanks in advance

Howdy
06-20-2005, 08:34 AM
The 185-200cc motors have a oil rotor instead of a actual oil filter. It's built into the centrifical clutch assembly on the end of the crank shaft.
How it works is the oil goes into this area of the clutch assembly while the motor is running. The oil is spun around with the centrifical clutch assembly, any particles in the oil normally spin to the outer part of the oil rotor. Thus this cleans the oil. It may sound complicated but it actually is simple and orks very well.

Should you clean it? Yes, you should clean it. I personally don't think it needs to be cleaned that often though. Maybe once a year if you ride a fair amount. If you barely ride it you could probably get by without cleaning it for a couple years. If you ride a lot ( 30-40 hours a month ) then you may want to clean it every 6 months or so.
For motors with centrifical clutches: To gain access to it you need to remove the clutch cover ( right side ), and on the centrifical clutch you will see a cover that has 3 bolts holding it on. This piece slides over the crank shaft end. Remove the 3 bolts and pull the cover off. Look inside the cover and you will normally see some grey crud in it. Clean the crud out of it and wash it up good. Re-install it and the side cover and your done.
Hope this helps. ;)
Howdy

Oldshell4481
06-20-2005, 09:02 AM
it doesnt have a filter chris, just a screen with the spring, make sure you note how it goes in correctly, you shouldnt need to change the oil i changed it about 2 weeks ago.

Oldshell4481
06-20-2005, 09:04 AM
you should clean the clutch though, i dont think ive done that..

soopa villain17
06-20-2005, 09:35 AM
oh , ok il ltry that , a new spark plug made it run a whole hell of a lot beter though

soopa villain17
06-20-2005, 10:10 AM
not tryin to sound liek a dummy , buyt where is the oil drain plug ? i cant find it , there usually on the bottom but i dont see one

Banage
06-20-2005, 10:22 AM
this will be on the side right near the foot peg

bigredhead
06-20-2005, 10:29 AM
Left side ( sitting on bike ) . bit 16-18 mm or so cover. you'll find a mesh filter in there.. notice the way it goes in when you remove it.

Oldshell4481
06-20-2005, 12:39 PM
yeah it can be a ***** to get out, alot of small turns, and a big wrench.. on the left side, right beside the peg like he said

bigredhead
06-20-2005, 01:07 PM
Quick tip:

Before trying to put that oil drain cap back on with the spring trying to push it out with oily fingers not helping....

put the cap in place without the spring and notice where the threads catch.. then remove the cap. put the spring in with the mesh filter and you won't have try and turn that cap 10 times around before you find it's proper place.

This was a horrible job on my big red with the belly pan on it...

soopa villain17
06-20-2005, 02:52 PM
its the big huge boltunder the footpeg right ? bw my grandfather bought me one of those dewalt heavy duty water proof radios , i strapped it on my back rack and its awsome , now i just gutta get a cup holder :beer

bigredhead
06-20-2005, 03:24 PM
that's the one.

soopa villain17
06-20-2005, 03:30 PM
sweet thanks , im pretty good with engines as i have been takign a small engine course at vocational school (atvs' snowmobiles, lanwmowers motorcycles etc) there isnt anything i can mess up real bad is there ? just make sure * put the screen in right

bigredhead
06-20-2005, 03:33 PM
Just make sure you don't strip anything.... most of my friends like ot " over tighten " stuff... argh...

slothminx
06-20-2005, 04:45 PM
Just make sure you don't strip anything.... most of my friends like ot " over tighten " stuff... argh...
this is so true the amount of nuts and bolts i have had to hit the spanners with a hammer to get free has driven me mad.people must think that nuts holding on the thumb throttle has to be done up with a 10ft bar before its tight enough lol. as bigredhead said just dont tighten it too much as you are tightening into aluminium and it will strip

will

Oldshell4481
06-20-2005, 05:04 PM
dont worry i only tightened it snugly, i hated heaving to get it out..