PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know why My honda is harder to start in the winter

svo58
06-19-2005, 07:27 AM
My honda's are harder to start in the winter,in the warm weather they start rite up.Am i doing something wrong with tuning.In the cold i get a little carbon build up on the plug(84 big red 200es) and i have to clean it.What am i doing wrong with tuning it up.The engine does not smoke at all,it idles good in warm weather ,in cold weather it's ruff running when idles and harder to start.Any help and or tips would be great.I put New plugs ,rebuilt the carbs.When i used dr8es-L the plug gets dry carbon on it .I looked it up and they said the plug was to cold, i went with a dr7es-L .It started a little better ,but if i rode it a short time 2 to 3 min and only 1st and 2nd gear the plug would have carbon on the tip and i would have to clean it and it would start rite up again.Any help would be great,thanks........svo58

Maine_Triker
06-19-2005, 08:59 AM
Could be the jetting? Hard starting in winter is normal, but the plugs shouldn't behave like that.

bigredhead
06-19-2005, 10:18 AM
Same here.. my SX can be a hog in cold weather ( Thank god for electric start !! )

Cold air has a different density than warm air.. adjusting the air/fuel mixture should help as well as adding fuel stabilizer to your gas.

BIGCRIP28
06-19-2005, 03:09 PM
i dont know, but my 110 is killer to start in the winter. i go hunting and am dressed all warm by the time i get it started, i am in a t shirt sweatin like a hog. (alot of cursing too)

svo58
06-19-2005, 04:18 PM
So these honda's are hard starting in the cold,what plug do you use in the 200 honda's.The book said dr8es-L ,mine runs better with dr7es-L,But what's up with the carbon on the plug,i can't figure it out. :mad:

Huffa
06-19-2005, 04:28 PM
Going down to a lighter weight oil will help some. Under 30 degrees try a 5 or 10W30.

Tri-ZNate
06-19-2005, 06:54 PM
any vehicle with a carb is hard to start in winter. That includes hondas, yamahas, suzukis, kawasakis, ect. just use the choke and after it is warmed up take the choke off. If you are running too rich you will get carbon buildup on the plug. play with the fuel\air mixture screw till you find the perfect spot. that should help keep the carbon buildup to a minimum.

250rAL
06-19-2005, 07:04 PM
any vehicle with a carb is hard to start in winter. That includes hondas, yamahas, suzukis, kawasakis, ect. just use the choke and after it is warmed up take the choke off. If you are running too rich you will get carbon buildup on the plug. play with the fuel\air mixture screw till you find the perfect spot. that should help keep the carbon buildup to a minimum.

You must only have 4 strokes. Both of the 2 strokes I have(250R & Blaster) start just as easy in the winter as the summer. I've also got 4 strokes and they're generally a pain in the winter.

Tri-ZNate
06-19-2005, 07:46 PM
yep I'm a 4 stroke man

bigredhead
06-19-2005, 09:44 PM
Another detail.. you said you were checking the plug after a few minutes of run time... this might be mis-leading.

Put a new one in ( should start easier with a new plug anyways . wich is another detail ! ) and get it warmed up (using choke. wich makes things very rich.. heavy on fuel. low on air ) this will make a plug go black naturaly.. but then if you remove choke and go for a long ride.. i'm talking a few hours worth of riding .. then remove the plug and check it then.. i bet you it looks pretty normal.

But cold air and summer hot air combined with moisture you get a different burn.

Dirtcrasher
06-19-2005, 09:44 PM
So these honda's are hard starting in the cold,what plug do you use in the 200 honda's.The book said dr8es-L ,mine runs better with dr7es-L,But what's up with the carbon on the plug,i can't figure it out. :mad:

Some models had a service bulletin on "cold starting" the SX is one of them and they offer a now discontinued kit to remedy it. If yours doesn't have a bulletin than it is most likely a problem in the starting circuit. Could be as simple as a damaged air screw or o-ring or a dirty carburetor passage/jet. My SX's all start without any problem in 15 degrees. Of course the choke stays on a bit longer but the initial start up is no problem. I don't have a carbon build up either.

DeePa
06-20-2005, 07:10 AM
my 200s and suzuki quadsport start first kick/pull everytime, i just have the choke on for a little longer...

edog
07-11-2005, 09:39 PM
Check the intake valve lash for propper tollarances.

wheelie king
07-11-2005, 09:49 PM
My 200s is a BEAR to start in the winter. The yammies crank right up. My buddies love to point this out...... I'm a Honda Guy. :p :p Thank god that down here we only have ONE MONTH of COLD!!!! :Bounce

bigredhead
07-12-2005, 08:56 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4559256300&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

I'm hoping this will help my SX some !!

Blown 331
07-12-2005, 01:12 PM
You could get a carb with an accelerator pump. Both my XL500R and my TRX450R has accelerator pumps so in addition to setting the choke I hit the trottle a few times to spray some extra gas and they usually start with one kick when it's cold out.

bigredhead
07-12-2005, 01:45 PM
hey.. now that's cool.

first i hear of XR's with reeds.. not XR's with primers... what else do those sucker got ? geez.

Fuel stabilizer helps in winter.. specially with metal tanks and condensation factor.

Pistonhead
07-12-2005, 02:59 PM
When it gets bitchin' cold outside your oil that works fine in summer gets super viscous and really doesn't wan't to move around a whole lot. Put in a lower weight of oil and that will help.

Jason Hall
07-12-2005, 11:07 PM
Some tips from a hillbilly. When any engine is cold it needs more fuel than when its warm, so when you put your choke on it restricts the air going into the carb, that gives you a richer mixture (more fuel). usually you want to get the choke off as soon as you can, if you dont then you will carbon up (foul) the plug. I have a 95 300EX, when I first got it it started real hard so I adjusted the carb when it was cold, to were it ran good when I started it. I got lucky & mine runs great when it warms up also. I'm not saying to adjust the carb with the choke on get the choke off as soon as you can then adjust the fuel screw. Everything has its own way it wants to start & its your job to figure out how that is. Good luck.

83185s
07-13-2005, 01:06 AM
heres another tip...if you keep it in the garage..which i hope yopu do..put a block heater on it when you put it up overnight ...and itll prolly start right up..i know it helps cause it keeps the oil warm and the engine warm...just toss it next to the engine blowing on it and it should start pretty easy