PDA

View Full Version : Are these Tri-Z OEM fenders?

MO350X
06-16-2005, 04:12 PM
I was wondering if I had OEM fenders on my Tri-Z?
I attached a picture of the trike.
Wouldn't "Maier" or a Maier part number be stamped in it somewhere?
OR even a Yamaha identifier, be it a part no./name, be on it?

I'm THINKING they are original Yamaha because the fit is perfect and the do not feel "light" or thin.

I checked Bike Bandit and they show OEM '85 Tri-Z plastic as NLA?

Thanks in advance.

Maine_Triker
06-16-2005, 04:17 PM
They look OEM to me, but then again, I'm not a Yamaha guy. Very nice Z BTW.

P.S. OEM fenders are available from your dealer for about $100

twgranger
06-16-2005, 04:40 PM
The front fender is a maier, not sure about the back. As far as i know they don't have any kind of stamping on the fenders.

Yamahammer490
06-16-2005, 05:00 PM
I just looked at my Z in the garage, along with some other photographs of OEM fenders, and your fenders don't quite look the same. I think the OEM fenders slope down a bit more toward the outside. I could be wrong, or the angle could be playing tricks on my eyes, but I'd put my money on aftermarket rather than OEM.

Billy Golightly
06-16-2005, 06:04 PM
Its kind of easy to tell. Pop the seat and look at the fender in the area where the overflow bottle is at. The OEM fenders have a little area kinda of "built up" that works as a holder for a couple of the fuel/vent lines. The Maiers do not have this.

MO350X
06-16-2005, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the input, folks.

I attached a pic of the under-seat portion of the rear fender.

Is this OEM?

Billy Golightly
06-16-2005, 06:52 PM
Nope. Thats a Maier. If my camera was home I'd go take a picture of mine and show it to you, but the OEM ones have a sort of tower type peice moulded into the fender that holts the fuel tank vent lines and stuff. Right in the area below where the overflow bottle cap is.

Billy Golightly
06-16-2005, 06:52 PM
Also, the other way to tell is all the edges on maier stuff is usually more rolled, and not as chiseled looking.

LonesomeTriZ
06-16-2005, 06:55 PM
I agree, that fender is with out a doubt Mair and not OEM Yamaha.

By the way, sweet rdie man.

MO350X
06-16-2005, 07:07 PM
Maier must have cleaned up their act.

The last fenders I dealt with from Maier were at least 10 years ago.
My brother restored a TRX250R and bought Maier's.
They were JUNK, nothing lined up and they required a LOT of work to make fit. He ended up selling those to buy OEM Honda. :rolleyes:

I must admit, if these are Maiers I am THOROUGHLY impressed.
The finish, fit and overall construction is WORLD'S better than the aforementioned TRX units from years ago.
Had I not asked you folks, I would have sworn they were factory.

if this is the "Maier of today", then two thumbs up for Maier! :beer

Orangecnty250r
06-17-2005, 12:03 AM
Just do yourself a favor. Even though you are very happy with your Maier rear fenders pick yourself up a set these ( OEM rear fenders ) while they are still available. You wont regret it if you plan on keeping this incredible trike. We all take for granted the things that are still available (few as they are). I know its an unnecessary expense but It wont be long before we see this post.

"Yamaha OEM Tri Z yellow rear fenders are now discontinued"

Then you'd be kicking yourself in the Arse. I bought this one and some other yellow plastics and i dont even have a yellow one yet (YET that is) You have to plan for the future ---even in a hobby. Good Luck

Billy Golightly
06-17-2005, 12:14 AM
Yeah, I gotta admit the Tri-Z fenders is a step above what Maier normally does. They did a real good job on their molds for them. Seems like they just started making them again not to long ago.

MO350X
06-17-2005, 07:52 AM
Just do yourself a favor. Even though you are very happy with your Maier rear fenders pick yourself up a set these ( OEM rear fenders ) while they are still available. You wont regret it if you plan on keeping this incredible trike. We all take for granted the things that are still available (few as they are). I know its an unnecessary expense but It wont be long before we see this post.

"Yamaha OEM Tri Z yellow rear fenders are now discontinued"

Then you'd be kicking yourself in the Arse. I bought this one and some other yellow plastics and i dont even have a yellow one yet (YET that is) You have to plan for the future ---even in a hobby. Good Luck

Thanks for those pics.
Now I know what folks are talking about with regards to the difference between OEM and Maier.

I'll look into the original fenders deeper but Bike Bandit shows them as No Longer Available.
I know, I know....that's Bike Bandit, but they were a quick-reference. :rolleyes:
If they are available, where's a good place to get them and what are they going for?

My nice '86 250R has Maier front fender and radiator shrouds and OEM rear fender.
I SHOULD buy OEM's of them, too.
Cha-Ching! :)

Derrick Adams
06-17-2005, 09:27 AM
03OrangeShee and I were comparing fenders at TF. I have Maier and he has OEM. We found the Maiers to be a little heavier of plastic and seem to be much more flexible. From a riding stand point, probably better than oem. REAL close in looks to original. But still not quite the right fit under the seat, like everyone else said.

Hornetpowerspor
06-17-2005, 09:49 AM
I believe you can buy the yellow ones from your local Yamaha dealer for about 116 bucks.

LonesomeTriZ
06-17-2005, 12:17 PM
You can buy a set already done up with a full decal kit from yamatopdog. They are absolutly perfect.