PDA

View Full Version : Drum Brakes !!!

bigredhead
06-16-2005, 03:33 PM
How often you guys replace shoes ?

I try to use my brakes as little as possible.. to save them for emergencies so i'm hoping for a few years ( 2 or so ) before i need new ones.

but am curious to know how abusive others are with them and how long they usually last ? :D

Maine_Triker
06-16-2005, 03:43 PM
The 250es is on it's origional shoes, and has 5700 miles on it :p

HAHA

Usually we replace shoes every 3-4 seasons, and we ride like at least 800 miles a season per machine.

Oldshell4481
06-16-2005, 03:49 PM
my front ones have gone quick, i replaced them and i have to adjust that pull thing often times, i dont know if i need a new cable yet or something, i ordered new rear ones but they were just a tiny bit too big so they arent in.

ATC crazy
06-16-2005, 09:26 PM
My Foreman still has its origional front shoes, and she has 4600 miles on her. The front brakes are my main stopping power...I use them hard 95% of the time

On my old SX, my brother put new shoes on it about a year before I got it. I had it for 4 years, and rode it hard. My friend has had it for almost 3 years now....but he dosent ride it much at all

mad_max
06-16-2005, 09:35 PM
My SX has its 2nd set on the rear. The are original Honda's. When I replaced the fronts (when it had drums) the front linings had separated from the shoes, Due to the crud in the front drum I'm guessing they failed due to water/mud intrusion. The SX has a water draining bolt in the rear drum backing plate. Use it.

bigredhead
06-16-2005, 09:52 PM
My SX has its 2nd set on the rear. The are original Honda's. When I replaced the fronts (when it had drums) the front linings had separated from the shoes, Due to the crud in the front drum I'm guessing they failed due to water/mud intrusion. The SX has a water draining bolt in the rear drum backing plate. Use it.

Mine has a hole that used to have a bolt, wich i would use .. but :eek:

The cable that actuates my front brake is from an 82 atc 200.. and it's maxed out on the adjuster... but the shoes are no more than 8 months old... so it's got to be the cable.