PDA

View Full Version : A nice 22X11X8 front tire choice

Huffa
06-15-2005, 05:16 PM
It's made by AMS and called a Fox A/T. I'm putting it on a SX 250 but think it will make a nice choice for any machine taking that size.

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/AMS/AMS%20atv/ams_fox_at.htm

It's a 2 ply radial and with the V tread in the middle I would think it will have good directional stability and with all the tread leaning toward vertical it should have good steering response. Nice meaty tread too. Cool little logo they put on too.

The actual width (thank god it wasn't wider :rolleyes: ) is 9 1/4" with the heigth being a true 22".

I paid $36 + 11 shipping. Not a bad deal at all.

BTW..........1st time I changed a tire myself and wasn't too bad.

MO350X
06-15-2005, 10:26 PM
That tire looks like a winner.
And the price? A steal!
That ought to work fantastic on your SX.

Chicho
06-15-2005, 10:46 PM
I may end up getting the same tire for my 250SX, Huffa. That looks great... good find!

Huffa
06-15-2005, 11:32 PM
That tire looks like a winner.
And the price? A steal!
That ought to work fantastic on your SX.

I think so too. I looked at every tire imaginable in that size and for the $$ I just can't see how you can beat it. There really is only a few tires I would put on the front and the second I found this one, then saw the price :eek: being so cheap I knew it was the one for the SX.

Then when it was delivered the tread to my surprize was even meatier then what you see in there picture. At least i think so. That's why I put a close up shot of the tread depth.

Only thing that I had my doubts about was the width and it has a 1/2" clearence (maybe a bit more) just like the stock one did.

Huffa
06-15-2005, 11:33 PM
I may end up getting the same tire for my 250SX, Huffa. That looks great... good find!

You just do that, I think you'll be a lot happier and save at least 20 bucks or so.

:beer

Meat-BoX
06-15-2005, 11:35 PM
I got all three for my Honda 125 M. I figured that they would handle good and with the pattern it should get that mud and snow out from between the Knobbies. The dealer is telling me they cnt mount them on 2 piece rims.

Huffa
06-15-2005, 11:40 PM
I got all three for my Honda 125 M. I figured that they would handle good and with the pattern it should get that mud and snow out from between the Knobbies. The dealer is telling me they cnt mount them on 2 piece rims.

I have not a clue as to why they couldn't, do you?

You'll be real happy with them I'm sure. At 4lb psi (max) they have a fair amount of give to the side walls and that's what you want for sure on a hard tail.

3lbs would be even better, didn't try 3 yet, heck.......didn't ride it yet!

chris200x
06-16-2005, 12:24 AM
poor huffa. I told you a whie back to wait to go to one of the many local shops near my house. It least you wouldnt have to part out the shipping.. I think you will find that if you run stock are an inch or two higher or wider you will enjoy thgis partucular tyike better,Wn i first ad mine it had tuftames ain the rear with were a size or two small. I used to get hung up alot with the rear smaller tire, thats for sure. Now if I nemeber sorrectly the stck 85' takes 22x11x8's correct. I then moved to theoriginal wooley booger. I bought these use both for $15 and lasted until the next summer. Never had a problem with them Always got me out of themuck well for the most part lol. It is so hard to frigure out which tire to pich tere days. there are way to many out there. thtricxk to it is pick tyhe best ones for your riding style and tecnique. Nows if your gonna be riding with ne.. I hope you can mount some tank tracks to that bad boy! Peronaly I was was goning to by new tires for the Honda sx they would be a little gibber height wise for groung clearence. They have alot of year round tires that work very well for instance bearklwas:" 23 0r 24x8x11. Perct all around tire. mud snow hardpack. Ok what else. The alwaays fasmous mudlites... I'd rather not comment.and alo I 'm not sure if they are avaible in this catalog but lately it seems everyone is runnin those darn mudsharks on the back of their carts. I see them all over. But when it come down to it no matter what me or other people say on this thread you'll get what you want.

83185s
06-16-2005, 12:39 AM
dealers always say you cant mount tires on 2 piece rims without tubes..they are stupid! lol..when you put it on just put some silicone on the place where they stick together..it will stop the air from leakin..especially only runnin 4psi...thats not much...or just make that the rim is very clean when you stick it together..

Huffa
06-16-2005, 05:55 AM
Chris

Were you drinking or what (I'll bet you were) (your spelling is all slurred)? This is for the FRONT ONLY :rolleyes: I would never run them on the back of an SX :rolleyes:

Put down that 6th yuenling and pay attention :D

Just for the heck of it, call your local shop and ask how much for this tire, I'll bet it's more then $47 (that's with shipping). That's if they can even get that brand.

Huffa
06-16-2005, 06:07 AM
dealers always say you cant mount tires on 2 piece rims without tubes..they are stupid! lol..when you put it on just put some silicone on the place where they stick together..it will stop the air from leakin..especially only runnin 4psi...thats not much...or just make that the rim is very clean when you stick it together..

Maybe they fear if it does go flat you'll be coming back for free repair jobs?

I'd never run a tube though. You get a flat with a tube you can't just quick plug it and that you want to be able to do if your out trail riding.

chris200x
06-16-2005, 10:07 AM
Chris

Were you drinking or what (I'll bet you were) (your spelling is all slurred)? This is for the FRONT ONLY :rolleyes: I would never run them on the back of an SX :rolleyes:

Put down that 6th yuenling and pay attention :D

Just for the heck of it, call your local shop and ask how much for this tire, I'll bet it's more then $47 (that's with shipping). That's if they can even get that brand.

As a matter of fact after a long nite of drinking I read my post then deleted it this morning LOL.... :rolleyes: :D :beer Wow, that was some good spelling huh? sorry.

bigredhead
06-16-2005, 10:17 AM
9.5 " .... on the fron of an SX.. be VERY careful not to rub the forks !!!!!

I had a mud devil on mine before and i almost ruiined my forks with it.

I now have a Front Max.. by kenda.. holding up pretty good so far.

if it flexes during hard turns.. or on side angled hills... keep an eye on it !

BIGCRIP28
06-16-2005, 12:54 PM
you can mount on 2 piece rims!, just make sure the o ring between them is good. or you could just tube them.

honda_rider13
06-16-2005, 04:44 PM
Do you have stock front forks on your SX? And do you have a pic of how the tire looks on the bike?

edog
06-16-2005, 04:47 PM
poor huffa. I told you a whie back to wait to go to one of the many local shops near my house. It least you wouldnt have to part out the shipping.. I think you will find that if you run stock are an inch or two higher or wider you will enjoy thgis partucular tyike better,Wn i first ad mine it had tuftames ain the rear with were a size or two small. I used to get hung up alot with the rear smaller tire, thats for sure. Now if I nemeber sorrectly the stck 85' takes 22x11x8's correct. I then moved to theoriginal wooley booger. I bought these use both for $15 and lasted until the next summer. Never had a problem with them Always got me out of themuck well for the most part lol. It is so hard to frigure out which tire to pich tere days. there are way to many out there. thtricxk to it is pick tyhe best ones for your riding style and tecnique. Nows if your gonna be riding with ne.. I hope you can mount some tank tracks to that bad boy! Peronaly I was was goning to by new tires for the Honda sx they would be a little gibber height wise for groung clearence. They have alot of year round tires that work very well for instance bearklwas:" 23 0r 24x8x11. Perct all around tire. mud snow hardpack. Ok what else. The alwaays fasmous mudlites... I'd rather not comment.and alo I 'm not sure if they are avaible in this catalog but lately it seems everyone is runnin those darn mudsharks on the back of their carts. I see them all over. But when it come down to it no matter what me or other people say on this thread you'll get what you want.Whats wrong with mudlites?

honda_rider13
06-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Do you have stock front forks on your SX? And do you have a pic of how the tire looks on the bike?

Huffa
06-17-2005, 05:58 AM

Yes I do. I just finished redoing them yesterday..............

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=37116

...............and should have a picture later on today with tire on.

Huffa
06-17-2005, 06:00 AM
Whats wrong with mudlites?

That's what I'd like to know too?

chris200x
06-17-2005, 06:01 AM
Boy my post will not just go away. Dam crown royal! lol

Huffa
06-17-2005, 06:12 AM
9.5 " .... on the fron of an SX.. be VERY careful not to rub the forks !!!!!

I had a mud devil on mine before and i almost ruiined my forks with it.

I now have a Front Max.. by kenda.. holding up pretty good so far.

if it flexes during hard turns.. or on side angled hills... keep an eye on it !

I'm positive these should work fine. The narrowest part is between the fork boots. That measures just a bit over 10". I'm not sure where you are getting 9.5 from?

My tire is 9 & 1/4 (maybe a hair more, depends how you eye it) so that should work just fine.

You devil's were more aggressive with beiffer side tread where these taper off if I'm not mistaken. I think these willl be just perfect, we shall see.

Thanks for the advice though. Where are you getting 9.5 from?

Huffa
06-21-2005, 01:15 PM

Stock forks - yes. Here is how it looks.

ChrisG
06-23-2005, 08:21 PM
So how did you like the tires on the SX? I am in need of a new front on my SX, and I like the look.

Huffa
06-23-2005, 09:04 PM
I can't say as I didn't ride it yet. It does have a larger foot print then a typical knobby and in snow probably would not dig in as much which is good. It is a radial too which should make the ride quite comfy. Also, the typical knobby is more the ballon type for sure and does not expand as much.

My neighbor has the exact same SX with your run of the mill Chen Shing knobby so it will be interesting to compare and that's the only way I can compare because I have never ridden this SX yet.......just bought it a few weeks ago and the front tire was shot.

Possibly have it done in a few days to test ride for comparison.