PDA

View Full Version : Oxidation of Fork Boots --Help

Orangecnty250r
06-14-2005, 07:55 AM
I have great condition OEM Fork boots on my 87 T3 Except for Oxidation. Ive restored oxidation on plastics with fine steel wool but what about fork boots.
These T3 boots are rare and much fatter than the ones available on ebay so I want to try to salvage them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeb
06-14-2005, 08:47 AM
i'm in the same boat with the originals from my 86. Nice shape, just a little faded. I tried the 000 steel wool route, but it would be allot of work.

I've thought often about having someone dye them.

bigredhead
06-14-2005, 11:23 AM
would a very light coat of rattle can stick to them ?

Huffa
06-15-2005, 09:39 AM
Someone on here mentioned that Krylon Fusion paint for plastic works excellent.

chris200x
06-15-2005, 09:52 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: Ever see ornecty bikes... HE WUOLD NEVEr :D

He would however spewnd $500 on some nos ones huh. Are they really that hard to find. I think Tim Sr. might lave a nice green set of those on his Z :rolleyes: But who know's I've heard about that paint amd if this ones for your collection why noy just try the paint until you doo finde new old stock.I should of asked first are they blue or green?

Orangecnty250r
06-15-2005, 10:19 AM
I welcome all suggestions --Thanks to those who have replied.

Well by accident I may have come upon something that helps.

Mine are blue stock ones. My 86's are deep blue and my 87's were faded with the white oxidation.

I sprayed my front tire on the 87 with some foaming black magic tire wet stuff and got some on the front boot in a small are. I saw a huge difference and sprayed the rest of it. It truly looks 90% better. This stuff has dried and kept its coloring effect

Also after I posted this thread , I stopped by my fathers house and he was working on his boat with an oxidation rubbing cream. I'm going to snatch some of that when he 's done rub the entire boot down with it and respray with the black magic tire wet foam. after that I think we might have restored ones. I still have one that hasnt been done so i'll post some pics of the difference before and after this treatment.

chris200x
06-15-2005, 10:35 AM
Get ahold of my good freind Billy Mays. He can cut you a deal on the supersized tub of oxiclean Tell him chrir200X from 3WW sent ya He may even through in the amazing super shamee' at no other cost to you :rolleyes: