PDA

View Full Version : breaking in a rebuilt motor?

chris200x
06-11-2005, 08:28 AM
OK after searching through the boards and not finding much I need to ask what are the proper steps to break in a freshly built 4 stroke engine. I found a thread about breaking in a two stroke but wouldn't that be diffrent?

Tri-ZNate
06-11-2005, 09:33 AM
this might help http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=25429&highlight=rebuilt+motor

there was a thread a long time ago that gave a website to break in a motor. Is it your 200X your breaking in?

chris200x
06-11-2005, 09:41 AM
Yep, it's a 200x. So I take it I should just take it easy with it for a couple hours. I just don't want to screw this up again. lol

jenndnn3
06-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Change the oil and check all torques. During and after.

Yamahauler
06-11-2005, 04:26 PM
this might help http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=25429&highlight=rebuilt+motor

there was a thread a long time ago that gave a website to break in a motor. Is it your 200X your breaking in?
Is that actually how you would want to break in a motor? Pinning it through the gears? I would think you would want to take it slow to start off with.
Someone should post exactly what to do.

chris200x
06-11-2005, 04:35 PM
Is that actually how you would want to break in a motor? Pinning it through the gears? I would think you would want to take it slow to start off with.
Someone should post exactly what to do.

Agreed... ;) I have over $600 invested into this motor by two diffrent mechanics. I don't want to mess it up. Anyone here know the proper procedure to break in a totally rebuilt 4 stroke motor?

I seen many diffrent answers to this in a previous post but that was about a two stroke. run 30 minutes let sit run another 30 minutes let sit torque the bolts down????????? please can someone answer my question. :rolleyes: Do I just take it easy with it...how long?

Where's Howdy when we need him... :D

faf_racing
06-11-2005, 04:46 PM
YES just ride it like its going too be riddin the rest of its life!!! too break it in. A 4 stroke 200x? I thought 200x was a 2 stroke?

faf_racing
06-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Agreed... ;) I have over $600 invested into this motor by two diffrent mechanics. I don't want to mess it up. Anyone here know the proper procedure to break in a totally rebuilt 4 stroke motor?

I seen many diffrent answers to this in a previous post but that was about a two stroke. run 30 minutes let sit run another 30 minutes let sit torque the bolts down????????? please can someone answer my question. :rolleyes: Do I just take it easy with it...how long?

Where's Howdy when we need him... :D
Wheres howdy?? @ trikefest thats where hes at! there was a thread about this a way while back they all said the same thing Im tellin ya.

chris200x
06-11-2005, 05:11 PM
YES just ride it like its going too be riddin the rest of its life!!! too break it in. A 4 stroke 200x? I thought 200x was a 2 stroke?

:eek: :rolleyes: :D Listen here bud! You want me to take your advise when you make a post like that??? I know where the search button is at. Lmao And it's all the same as this thread is going... nowhere :D J/K

I'm also aware that most of the people on the board are at trike fest. Which is exactly where I should be right now.

OK seriously now...I know to take it easy with it for a while...but what exactly has to be retightened? What oil is best for this time of year anything else I should check for?

BIGCRIP28
06-11-2005, 06:25 PM
200x's are four stroke, also 350xs are.

Tri-ZNate
06-11-2005, 06:34 PM
retorque the head bolts I think they mean.

Huffa
06-11-2005, 07:23 PM
There are two beliefs in how to break a motor in and 1/2 on here probably do it one way and 1/2 the other.

1) Do this in 3-4 sessions at 20 minute rides or so then let completely cool down........don't go more then 1/2 throttle or so and vary the rpm up and down as you are riding it. Don't punch it but don't lug it either. Stay off hills and on level ground. Once your done with the sessions start opening it up more and keep varying the rpm. Varying the RPM's helps the piston rings seat better to the cylinder supposedly. In a few hours you are good to go full blast and believe me when I say no one with 4 strokes has to retourque the head. I nor anyone else on the motox forum I go on, or used to, has ever had to retourque on the CRF's at all. I won't agure it can't hurt to check the tourque though.

2) Just beat on it right away and ride it how it's going to be ridden as mentioned before.

It's a highly debated issue for sure but I always did mine the "old fashion" #1 way.

Think about how many new motcross bikes only get an hour break in at most and they are fine.

Another issue is coating the cylinder with oil on a brand new top end job. It has actually been proven that your rings seat quicker and better with it DRY!!! Believe it or not!

chris200x
06-11-2005, 07:31 PM
FINALLY!!! Thank you Huffa. So... you about ready to ride? :Bounce

Oldshell4481
06-11-2005, 07:31 PM
why would beating it help it out, #1 sounds more correct.

chris200x
06-11-2005, 07:34 PM
Hmmm,,, I think I will stick to #1 lol

Pigga
06-11-2005, 08:37 PM
the way i have found works th best is ridding them how you want it to run dont try to kill it just ride it hard and get that ring seated in there nice and tight and your engine will have better compression and will run stronger longer i have tryed bolth ways and riding it hard seemed to work better

Huffa
06-11-2005, 10:29 PM
the way i have found works th best is ridding them how you want it to run dont try to kill it just ride it hard and get that ring seated in there nice and tight and your engine will have better compression and will run stronger longer i have tryed bolth ways and riding it hard seemed to work better

Us "Old fashion" guys need scientific proof that your way works better.

Sort of like getting out of bed in the morning :D How would you like it if the minute you woke up you had to go full blast to work right of way with no break in time :D ? I like a cup of coffee, another cup of coffee, 1/2 hour on 3WW, then to work.

sblt500r
06-11-2005, 10:38 PM
i ride it easilly for the first tank of gas varying the throttle. and don't hold it for any lenght of time in one place and not to hold it wide open try to stay away from that untill the first tankfull.

and you don't or shouldn't have to retorque the head bolts or cylinder bolts on a four stroke.

200xadam
06-11-2005, 11:42 PM
i broke my two stroke in with #2, ive never had to break in a four stroke..yet...but after i broke in my motor it ran better than another two stroke of better specs that broke his in the #1 way. but my motor went bad within a year and his is still running so it may just depend on ** sacrifices..power...money...