PDA

View Full Version : hey, 110 owners!

plkmonster2
02-04-2003, 01:09 PM
do any of you have an 79 110? if you do, does it have a different tranny than the other 110's? mine is all wierd, you push down the shifter, and it clicks into gear? all the other 110's and 90's i have ridden, you can puch down the shifter, and it woun't do anything until you let go. also, if i am in 4th, and i push down on the shifter, it doesn't do anything??? all the others rev up. could my friction plate spacer be broken? just seems wierd to me that it does that.

thefox
02-04-2003, 01:58 PM
My brother had a 79 honda 110, most reliable 3 wheeler we had. His wouldn't move until you released the shift lever too. Have you tried adjusting the clutch? Good luck.
Hope this helps, Andrew

plkmonster2
02-04-2003, 04:24 PM
i have adjusted the clutch, hmm, could the things that move the shifter cam be broken? it shouldn't be but i do think that that thing that opens the frition plates is shot because if you idle it, and you try to stick it in low to high or high to low, it grinds

plkmonster2
02-04-2003, 04:25 PM
^^^^^ up above, if i do that in nuetral, it still grinds

jenndnn3
02-05-2003, 12:54 AM
I bought a pair of 79's for a deal with the intention of keepin one and sellin the other.....The one I sold did almost what you are described which is why I sold it...My gut told me bigtime work ahead.. But that is gut......nothing more my other one does not do that.....

Howdy
02-05-2003, 09:51 AM
Sounds like a clutch out of adjustment and or some missing internal parts. The 110's are one of the easiest machines to work on.

Now a question: Did this machine sit for a real long time?

Howdy

jenndnn3
02-05-2003, 02:13 PM
Funny you should mention sitting. Yes both of mine were sitting a very long time... with the summer rides in between. I am willing to learn more so tell me what you are thinkin...Jen

Howdy
02-05-2003, 06:22 PM
I have seen before where a 90cc had sat unstarted in a barn ( unheated )for a long time ( 4-5 years ). The steel disk in the clutch had developed surface rust on them in spots. After the guy got it running again the tranny work correctly. The guy ran the machine around for a while and finally the clutch started working correctly. After about 4 months though the clutch wore out and it wouldn't go at all. Then he brought the machine to me.

I replaced the clutch and it was fine after that. He rode the machine for about 3 years after that until he bought a Big Red ( 250es ).

This may or may not be the problem above. But it only goes to show it's good to start or at least turn the machine over on a regular basis.

I often wondered how rusty the cam and internal gears were ( I only replaced the clutch assembly ). I don't know how it ran for as long as it did, but it sure did run good when I seen it.

Howdy

plkmonster2
02-05-2003, 09:47 PM
it sat 10 years, in a barn, unheated :shock: i know that that is a bit, but when io cleaned it up, no rust or anything. alos, iot started on the second pull :shock: when we first got it to run, it was like that, the friction plates didn't let go. i am thinking that something is missing. also, it sat again, for 2 years becuase i didn't want to fix it, and i didn't know how. yes, and i run it every weekend

Tecate performance
02-06-2003, 01:15 AM
it sounds like the clutch plates are set up and not disengaging. that would explain why the trans grinds when you shift hi-lo and why it jumps into gear

FullBore
02-07-2003, 10:50 AM
You're supposed to switch off the engine anyway when you shift the range lever. But if mine is in neutral it shifts without a sound whatever the engine is doing, mine won't idle in gear, I need to sort that out but it holds the clutch off when I hold the gear lever down and when I press it in 4th.
Perhaps the curved lever that holds the clutch off when you press the gear lever has snapped. Perhaps this was caused by it bing sat with the clutch plates stuck together and when the lever has been pressed its been too much to unstick them, Just a thought anyway, best thing to do would be to get a manual and take the side cover off.

Good Luck ;)

Nat

jenndnn3
02-07-2003, 12:33 PM
Thx for the info folks this is in back of mind......Like I said I sold it so I cant verify any of that..(anytime a side cover has to come off it is bigtime work for me :D ).. but all makes excellent sense. Mine that I sold did a very funny thing, I couldnt switch from high to low unless I was in first gear (the one I sold) in neutral it would grind and pitch a fit. IT broke my heart a tad to let it go First I had twins second according to the sticker on the body it was manufactuered 8 of 78...one of the first maybe?? Oh well the little gel of the family has the other one that runs fab/ ok not fab but hey they are old LOL. Good luck Plk let us know what is wrong with yours so that we can learn...Jen

kilabeez0
02-07-2003, 08:42 PM
mine sometimes grinds going from high to low also. and sometimes it wont engage high until i play around shifting in and out of gears for a few minutes, and then it finally SNAPS into high and my hand goes flying into something :(