PDA

View Full Version : 200x rear shock ???

chris200x
06-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Is it just me or is the rear end of this x sitting low? I got 20" rear tires on it. Am I supposed to do something to compensate for the smaller diameter or is the shock shot. Oh, and don't poke fun at the orange frame huh!

Huffa
06-09-2005, 06:42 PM
Check the static sag. That would be how much the rear sags with no one sitting on it. Simply lift up rear till stops and thats your static or let the rear sag from topped out and measure, what ever is easier. Is your shock preload on spring turned in pretty far?

If not it would certainly help by doing so BUT for your weight :eek: ( :D ) you not most likely but should have a stiffer spring but then again your only dicking around on it so maybe it will satisfy you.

I imagine your using at least 1/2 the travel by just sitting on it. No-yes?

I'll bet a 350X shock would work much better since it's for a heavier machine but you STILL would probably need a heavier shock.

I have 2 springs up in attic from my motox bikes that are quite stiff. Hmmm, wonder if they would fit? Measure the length and diameter of spring, that is if your the least bit interested in finding out.

Pigga
06-09-2005, 07:02 PM
you can try restreching your spring but i dont know if you have acess to a puller

chris200x
06-09-2005, 08:36 PM
I know there is room left on top of the shock for adjustment. it doesn't compress down that much when I sit on it either. I don't know I'll check the sag and get measurements tomarrow. I know someone on here installed a 350x shock on the 200x I just don't remember who and how much modifing was needed. Oh, if I lift on the rear grab bar the rear tires don't drop to much..is that what you mean by static sag?

sblt500r
06-09-2005, 09:15 PM
if i remeber right my 200x used to sit low. if you pick up the back end and there is no play in the shock then thats the way it is unless you installed it wrong! :wondering
this way it will be really stable. :w00t:

Huffa
06-09-2005, 10:35 PM
You want to turn it clockwise to compress the spring more as this will in effect raise the rear BUT you want at least a 1/2 " or so of static sag. No SS and the rear will constantly top out while riding.

Should be two "nuts".... the top one you always loosen first then make adjustment with one closest to spring and lock top one back down again.

If it doesn't drop much or raise much, depending how you veiw it, then it's most likely in the ballpark, for the trike that is and not for your weight.

chris200x
06-09-2005, 10:39 PM
I think I know what you mean The one nut you have to use a screwdriver and hammer to turn it. because it's slotted. I will check tomarrow and let you know. thanks

Huffa
06-10-2005, 05:50 AM
#9 on here is what you loosen and #8 you tighten down to compress spring.

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/assets/schematics/Honda/H00790082.gif

No need to take shock off to adjust but if it is a 5 minute job to do so and you have a good 5,6,7, etc rotations to go on adjustment, I'd take it off.

There is actually a tool (hooked shaped) that grabs the slots so you can turn it but most times you need shock off to use it. With off you can also use a pipe wrench if it will grip it to turn it. Shock should be in a vise though. In other words I'm trying think of the best tool to use with out gouging the slots up.

Little info here on tool and I'd never buy it (too much :eek: ) for how often used but just to increase your knowledge a bit.........here ya go.
http://motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/rtechshktl/

I'd try it almost fully compressed (screw the static sag for now) and see how it performs.

chris200x
06-10-2005, 06:12 AM
wowza! for $50 I'lll stick to the hammer and screwdriver. lol. Yep, the slots are already buggered up pretty good from whomever owned it before me. i'm gonna mess with it a little today. but first got some more important things to do.... Like getting the rest of it together and getting it to fire up.

sblt500r
06-10-2005, 12:38 PM
try a spanner wrench or use a good size punch instead of a flat head screw driver. it won't dig into it as much.

chris200x
06-11-2005, 07:26 PM
So I tweeked on the rear shock a little today. I beleive it did come up some. After I put it all together and looked it seems to be OK. yes, no?

yater
06-11-2005, 08:18 PM
It looks good now