PDA

View Full Version : 85 Big Red questions

mach1mike
06-09-2005, 04:04 PM
Hey guy's i just got back into 3 wheeling and purchased a 85 Big Red 250ES
It needed some TLC and so far so good the only question i have is what spark plug do i use as it has a Champion in it now and want to switch to a NGK plug.
Also the steering has a knock and and some movement in the Tripple tree area like it is loose.I tried tightening it but seems more of a worn bushing or seal?Is this the problem and does anyone have the parts for this?
Thanks,Mike

250r'en +TCB
06-09-2005, 04:09 PM
as far as spark plugs, you should really just go to your local dealer and buy an owners manual for an 1985 big red.....

conig
06-09-2005, 04:11 PM
dr8es-l is the ngk I beleive its been awhile.

also 3wheeler.org has a scanned page for page 250sx manual which is just about the same trike.

mach1mike
06-09-2005, 04:25 PM
I have a manual comming for it.Along with all th other items that were broken or needed servicing.i hope to find out what the steering problem is.Thanks for the info.

bigredhead
06-09-2005, 04:27 PM
loose in the front could be steering stem bearings.. they don't usualy fail very often tho.... lift the front end off the ground and pull the forks front to back check for play.

Plug.. yep...

good trike.. tough as nails once taken care of !

bigredhead
06-09-2005, 04:32 PM
oh. and could also be front wheel bearings... check them too !

I highly recommend removing the brake side rear wheel and checking out the pads and drum if you ever want to have back brakes.. don't let the liners rub the drum !

BIGCRIP28
06-09-2005, 04:41 PM
NGK for it is DR8ES-L

bigreddaddy
09-17-2006, 10:01 PM
oh. and could also be front wheel bearings... check them too !

I highly recommend removing the brake side rear wheel and checking out the pads and drum if you ever want to have back brakes.. don't let the liners rub the drum !

Bigred,

I just bought a 1985 250es and a 1980 110 yesterday. They both need some work, mainly the 250.
The 110 is for my son and it runs, and I will concentrate on that one first.

Here's my question:

The 250 was rolling in neutral and though I knew the rear brakes were bad, I pushed down on the pedal real good to see if it had any brakes at all. Now I can't get it to roll. I checked and checked to make sure it is neutral but it still won't move. Is the rear brake locked up or something? I tried adjusting the cable but that didn't work.
Any info will be appreciated.

Bidreddaddy

bigreddaddy
09-17-2006, 10:28 PM
I think it may be stuck in reverse. It will only shift up once and then down. I pushed the button on the handle and and keep trying to shift while rocking it back and forth and its still won't budge. I don't know what I did but I am getting pretty aggravated.

scobydokevin
09-18-2006, 01:01 AM
check and see if the break line is obstructed, it may have sat for a time and risted the lines, wd-40 the hell out of the lines and where u adjust it. you can also check the pads, there may have some junk on them that have caught the pads and will not let them release, and last sheck your tranny fluid and linkage, make sure the fluid is clean, otherwise it cant shift right, i had that problem, and once i changed the fluid, it cleared right up.

Kevin