PDA

View Full Version : 250R question

ThreeWheeling
06-08-2005, 10:34 PM
My next project is going to be a 250R. Is a water pumper that much better then a air cooled??? I like the old school look of the air cooled. I know 2 stokes run hot, does the water cooloing help the motor last alot longer? Any input would be great.

daputz
06-08-2005, 11:19 PM
It does make difference, the l/c will allow the engine to run tighter tolerances, and it will maintain a more consistent operating temp.

RideRed250R
06-09-2005, 02:32 AM
i say go air-cooled for your first R, waterpumpers are quick and all but i loved my air-R, either R is great... i love my waterpumper, she is a nice machine... either is a good machine, the waterpumper and air-r have the same life of a top-end if they are ridden propery.
adam

MO350X
06-09-2005, 08:07 AM
Those air-foolers are VERY quick ('83-84) and make a great, simple ride if you can get a good one that isn't beaten to death.
I've ridden with Trike Dude and his '83 R is VERY quick...of course, you're dealing with a wild man behind those handle bars! :D
I've never ridden one but would LOVE to have one.
I'm like you, I love the "old school" look.

BUT I wouldn't trade my '86 R for anything.
Reliable, runs STRONG, is great on the trails as well as flatland, never gets hot, easy to get parts for and maintain.
But it is a bit more complex what with the cooling system and all.

I bet you can find an air-fooler on the cheap and possibly in good shape.
The water-coolers are going pretty high right now.
Don't impulse buy, shop around a bit and find the "right one".
You won't regret it.
And, by all means, don't just buy it because it's cheap.....9 times out of 10, cheap means "shovel money into it right after you buy it", so you're NOT coming out ahead, just deferring the expenditure.

max
06-09-2005, 09:13 AM
These Are All Great Posts. Ive Owned My 84r For 4 Yrs Now. Never Had Any Problems. It Is Just Like A Fourstroke. Lots Of Low End. This Bike Is Pretty Bullet Proof. Great For Trails, And Hillclimbs. I Also Have An 86. Id Rate Them Both The Same For Trail Riding. My 86 Is Definately Faster. But Its Not A Blow Out. Both Are Terrific Bikes To Own.
Max

oddball3
06-09-2005, 10:57 AM
I have no complaints about my air cooler. Mine is 80 over, blew one base gasket only. after that I sprayed the gasket with copper spray paint and havent had a problem for at least 5 years now. And I do all kinds of riding.

max
06-09-2005, 11:58 AM
80 Over. Dang. That Thing Must Roost. Were Did You Get The Extended Swinger? Thanks Max

yater
06-09-2005, 12:12 PM
What about the suspesion on the air foolers? Is it bearable?

oddball3
06-09-2005, 12:21 PM
The trike rips, but not as fast as when I had the 300cc kit on it, looking for a 25 over piston for that.

The swinger I extended myself 4+, Thats benn on there for atleast 6 years.

AZ250R
06-09-2005, 04:10 PM
What about the suspesion on the air foolers? Is it bearable?
Both rides have decent suspension. Ya may have to have them rebuilt no matter which model due to how old the stuff is. Seals don't last forever...

I've burned up 2 84Rs due to runn'n flat out too long, now I know better. My 85 R, OTOH, I've been try'n to "burn up" for over 5 years now and its still going strong! ;)

250r'en +TCB
06-09-2005, 04:17 PM
old school air cooled? The model T was liqued cooled!!! LOL
Anyway liqued cooling makes a big difference with 2 strokes. If it didn't why would they liqued cool snowmobiles? Why bother, they are already running in freezing weather? See what I mean????

86250RZ
06-09-2005, 05:29 PM
I've burned up 2 84Rs due to runn'n flat out too long, now I know better. My 85 R, OTOH, I've been try'n to "burn up" for over 5 years now and its still going strong! ;)[/QUOTE]

I agree, the air cooled R will burn up much faster than the Liquid cooled R if you ride for long periods at a time but if you ride mainly in the time frame of 30-45 mins. than there isnt much difference between the 2 liability wise. As far as the suspension, the Liquid cooled R is far superior. The 85/86R has the best suspension of any trike ever made period. My suspension is as good as new, no sag in the rear what so ever and it soaks up the bumps even at high speeds.

Troll 2
06-09-2005, 08:47 PM
To me the R's are a night and day difference. The air cooled seems like a very hopped up 200x. Stock h.p is great at around 28, suspension and brakes are good, just a great little hot-rod trike. Seems like they did the baha in the day at a nice clip. The power delivery is low and mid. Weird for a pinger. The heat created is real high, that bugs me some. Like a 350x, it delivers responsive power but just runs hot. The cool factor is nice, gotta dig the two-stoke trikes. A very fun ride indeed!
The watercooled R to me is a cadillac. Awsome power compaired at 39hp stock. Then the suspension, egos and braking are miles ahead. Power seems killer in the mid and a flat out fast trike. Havent had much luck on the tight trails with it. The trike runs nice and cool which is great.
Good luck with your choice............................................ .. :beer

ThreeWheeling
06-09-2005, 09:30 PM
Thanks for all the input!
Im leaning toward the 83-84 R to start with then go to a 85-86 for the next one. I can get an idea how things work on the 2 stoker with the air cooled then step up to the pumper. For the last 14 years Ive been running 4 strokes, my last 2 stroke was a 1980 125RM. And it was nothing but problems, go figure (It was tired). So I stayed away from noisy smokers lol. But I love the looks of the 250R! Im just about done with the 350X and will have no reason to go hide in the garage anymore. I had a blast restoring the X from ground up .Have to start another project.

P.S. Do your friends and family think your a goofy for loving these trikes so much. My do...........ahh what they are missing