PDA

View Full Version : cork gasket question???

chris200x
06-07-2005, 08:54 PM
I have a major gap inbetween my intake boot and carb. I somehow managed to lose the rubber o-ring that is supposed to go inbetween them. so my question is I have a roll of cork gasket lying here. Do you think I can make a gasket by tracing and cutting one out. Will this work. Anyone have any other ideas. I really want to stay away from that liquid junk but will the cork hold up? Opinions wanted.

freewheel3
06-07-2005, 09:13 PM
I have a major gap inbetween my intake boot and carb. I somehow managed to lose the rubber o-ring that is supposed to go inbetween them. so my question is I have a roll of cork gasket lying here. Do you think I can make a gasket by tracing and cutting one out. Will this work. Anyone have any other ideas. I really want to stay away from that liquid junk but will the cork hold up? Opinions wanted.
It might be OK for a short term band-aid, but I think the cork would deteriorate & then you will have vacuum leak. That would make it run crappy & possibly too lean.
Get the proper o-ring when you can. As another short term fix, why not cut your 0-ring out of something rubber? ( Inner tube or old rubber boot, maybe ) Even these types of rubber will fall apart after exposure to gasoline though.

chris200x
06-07-2005, 09:45 PM
so how long will the cork last? would rubber last longer? Where can I get just the O-ring without buying a whole gasket set. I would like to do this right the first time.

sblt500r
06-07-2005, 09:46 PM
go to the hardware store and buy an o-ring. that cork gasket stuff ain't going to hold up.

chris200x
06-07-2005, 10:10 PM
Hmmm,, never thought of that. I'll check lowe's tomarrow. What am I supposed to do with this rather large roll of cork? Can it be used if I ever take the side cases or cdi covers off. I thought cork gaskets worked good.

dunehopper027
06-07-2005, 11:00 PM
i don't see why it wouldn't work, people put those paper gaskets between the carb and intake on automobiles

chris200x
06-07-2005, 11:03 PM
i don't see why it wouldn't work, people put those paper gaskets between the carb and intake on automobiles

My thoughts exactly. If they hold up on a car why not a trike.

I may just leave the old messed up o-ring in there and superglue or that other stuff they use to hold gaskets in place (don't know what it's called. Anyone know?) some cork inbetween there.

hotroddal
06-07-2005, 11:15 PM
i made a custom kork gasket for a rewind on a atc90 one time and when i whent to tighten the bolts that held it on the kork ripped into small pieces, i suggest not to use it.

dunehopper027
06-08-2005, 09:30 AM
actually I used the paper gaskets between the intake and head and between the intake and carb. I had the rubber orings in place but was still getting air past it. made a couple of gaskets, cured all my high idling problems.

chris200x
06-08-2005, 09:34 AM
actually I used the paper gaskets between the intake and head and between the intake and carb. I had the rubber orings in place but was still getting air past it. made a couple of gaskets, cured all my high idling problems.

What do you mean by made a couple gaskets. Do you mean that you put more than one in place at the same time? How long did it hold up? Did you use the gasket glue or sealer (whatever it's called)

dunehopper027
06-08-2005, 11:07 AM
I got the same stuff as you but the paper kind not the cork. just cut it shape and bolt the parts back on, no gasket glue or sealer. It should last for a long time, the ones I put on automobiles never mess up. Just used one for the Intake into the head, one for the carb to the intake.

chris200x
06-08-2005, 11:15 AM
the sticker on the roll says cork-rubber, for sealing oil, water or gasoline. Then on the bottom it says to hold gaskets in place use pro line fel cobond<--never heard of that stuff but I'm guessing it is a type of glue or something. i will try this and follow the directions and see what happens. I guess it's OK to leave the old O-ring in there but it's cracked like its dry rotted or something. what's the worst that can happen?

freewheel3
06-08-2005, 11:46 AM
so how long will the cork last? would rubber last longer? Where can I get just the O-ring without buying a whole gasket set. I would like to do this right the first time.
Have you called your local honda dealer & inquired about purchasing the o-ring by itself? I can't remember for sure, but I think it is available as a seperate item. If you want to do this right, you are gonna have to use the right parts. Just my $.02

sblt500r
06-08-2005, 12:30 PM
yeah its for oil like on valve cover gaskets and oil pans. when i used it while cutting it, it would fall apart and like crumple in to little pieces. it would only be a temporary fix. why do you think honda used a o-ring? it will last. and it would seal better than a paper or cork gasket. you would probably end up with an air leak and it would run like crap.
what size is that o-ring? someone on here might have an extra.

chris200x
06-10-2005, 01:00 AM
I believe I've solved my problem. The two bolts I was using to connect the carb to the boot are the wrong ones and are to long. I need to get shorter bolts and this way it will snug it up tighter together. Geez :rolleyes: what a bonehead.

chris200x
06-14-2005, 05:13 PM
Well here's some more great news. I think I've managed to strip the one hole out in the cylinder. (where the intake boot attaches to the cylinder head) Most of the treads I can see are still good (Ithnk) but when you finnally get it all the tight well it just doesnt tightnin. Hmmm... Any one have Ideas. I know rethread the damn hole. Any other thoughts. I cant run it with an air leak like that right. I need some other options cause if I have to pull the motor again (4) I will freak. I don't mind working on them but I don't know to many people with air conditioners in their garage. Too freakin hot around here lately.

sblt500r
06-14-2005, 10:45 PM
try a new bolt first. and make sure its long enough and the right thread. then if that don't work your going to have to either tap it to the next size or heli coil it.

chris200x
06-15-2005, 10:17 AM
this helicoil you speak of. like the thing they use for stripped sparkplug holes. Where can I find that and is it expensive.

bigredhead
06-15-2005, 11:23 AM
Is the bolt fully threaded ? right up to the head ? some don't... and that would be a problem !! lol..

i've read that JB weld can be threaded but have never tried it.

Does any one know what happens if you put JB on the bolt.. thread it in.. let it dry/cure then tighten the bolt ? will it simply break the bolt head or thread itself with the bolt ?

sblt500r
06-15-2005, 01:14 PM
if you use jb weld screw the bolt in then let it dry, when you tried to tighten it, it would break it free from the case then it wouldn't hold. i have never tried to drill and tap jb weld but you could try and fill the hole up and then the drill and tap it.

they have helicoils for any size hole. should be able to get it at your local autoparts store. and should be able to just by a kit for you size thread, instead of a huge kit. i don't personally use them because all the engines that i have had that had them were done wrong and didn't hold. i usually retap them to a bigger size or weld them up and start from new.

chris200x
06-15-2005, 01:54 PM
if you use jb weld screw the bolt in then let it dry, when you tried to tighten it, it would break it free from the case then it wouldn't hold. i have never tried to drill and tap jb weld but you could try and fill the hole up and then the drill and tap it.

they have helicoils for any size hole. should be able to get it at your local autoparts store. and should be able to just by a kit for you size thread, instead of a huge kit. i don't personally use them because all the engines that i have had that had them were done wrong and didn't hold. i usually retap them to a bigger size or weld them up and start from new.

This is what I was thinking shawn. If I mabye used one of those spacers you gave me on the outside that should space it enough just for the bolt to thread into the good threads up near the top. Let me see if that works. I don't have access to tap and die set rightnow aren't they expensive. Well that and I really don'y want to pull the motoor again. I'll figure this out somehow Hey did you make those spacers or can I buy them at a hardware store?

sblt500r
06-15-2005, 02:16 PM
i made those spacers. there made out of aluminum. hardware stores should carry spacers. if you need a shorter bolt i have about any size you could think of. let me know. every time i go to the salvage yard i get a 5lb bucket full of oem metric bolts. yeah a good set of taps and dies are expensive but i bought a cheap set of metric ones and they were crap. you get what you pay for. if you only needed a few sizes you could go to a tool store like msc or wholesale tool.