PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Slippin On Tecate When Shes Warmed Up Plz Help

Meat-BoX
06-04-2005, 11:24 PM
I took the Tecate out for a ride up the Trail to the Gas Station today. When I got done gassin up I started her up and when in Gear it moves a bit. I tried to adjust it but it didnt help much. On the way home it seemed to slip when the Powerband kicked in. It usually lifts the Front End in 1st to 3rd if you not carefull. I would get on it and lean forward expercting the PowerBand to Launch my Tecate to another level of insanity, but the Powerband came on and I didnt feel much. I got off the trail and did some drag runs at a Closed Car Dealership. It seemed to have nothing in 3rd 4th and 5th with the Band screaming. I tried more adjusting, and got it to stay still while in gear with the Clutch in. But the Clutch seemed to slip in those 3 gears. Im using 10w-40

I am wondering if my Clutch Plates are going bad or anything in the Clutch because I didnt put in New Plates and Springs. When I 1st start Riding the Tecate is a Beast. But after 20-30 minutes it seemed to start slipping.

Is there a nice Aftermarket Clutch Kit I can Buy, Basket and all? If so can someone turn me onto the Maker. Would a Barnett Clutch Kit for a KX 250 work and do they or Hinson make a Clutch Basket for my 84-85 Tecate or KX?

Allso my rear shock wouldnt take a charge and made for a very unenjoyable ride as there were lots of whoops and Ruts. I need to find a good rear shock or rebuild an old low tech shock thats on it. Its Polished and Powdercoated so I guess I should Spend the Money for a Rebuild unless someone has something I can use in its Place for sale that is good for the Tecate. Like a 2001 Rapptor Shock.

Please help me out with any Tips or Parts I can get to fix these Problems, and have this Tecate finished and on the Restoration Page.

Meat-BoX
06-05-2005, 01:23 AM
I know there are some hardcore Tecates owners here. Cant anyone give me some info on where to get an aftermarket Clutch kit? I need a Hi Performance Clutch for a High Performance Tecate. What shoul I buy?

Rex Karz
06-05-2005, 02:45 AM
Is Your basket grooved? Mine was and same thing, and it didn't want to reach into another level of insanity either !

M-M-M-My Tecate (http://www.rexkarz.com/ridepix/MVC-286F.JPG)

I just bought a used (hardly) clutch to replace it.

Meat-BoX
06-05-2005, 02:51 AM
Are there any aftermarket Clutch Baskets and Kits for the Teacate or the KK 84-85.

84honda 200X
06-05-2005, 02:59 PM
I think dennis kirk or jl atv sells the plates disks and springs in one kit. I got a kit for my 200x out of dennis kirk and it worked great.

Lots_Of_Nothing
06-05-2005, 03:14 PM
What brand and type of oil did you use? not the weight.

You might of accidently picked up the kind that has "super lubricants" or whatever (im sure Tim could step in here and explain much better) that type of oil is not supposed to be used in wet disc clutch systems, because it makes it slip and not catch. If you are buying ATV specific oil, it will say right on the back "does not contain any friction modifiers, safe for wet clutch systems".

Heres the back of an Amsoil bottle I got,, Just to give you an example;

http://img295.echo.cx/img295/6543/oil2eo.jpg

Meat-BoX
06-05-2005, 04:54 PM
I just bought some cheap 10w 40.
I will try the Good Oil and see what happens. Thanks for the info guys.

TimSr
06-05-2005, 11:17 PM
Clutch slippage is almost always caused by either excessive heat, or worn out components. Baskets are not sold in "kits", and are purchased separately. I dont know if anybody makes an aftermarket for yours, but if the original lasted you this long, whats the point?

Your "cheap" 10w40 should be fine. The pulling forward with clutch pulled is usually caused by grooves in the clutch basket. Sometimes too heavy of oil can cause it, but not with 10w40. This "pulling" is the clutches not letting go, and will cause them to heat up excessively, as well as prematurely wear out your disks and fibers. Its likely all these things contribute to your problem.

You are going to have to take it apart and inspect it. Often, the basket fins can be filed flat, it it hasnt been filed before. If the grooves are too deep, youll need to replace it. Then get some new clutch fibers, disks, and springs. OEM Kawasaki ones will serve you best. Unless you are going through a lot of clutches, and have GOOD clutches slipping all the time, the aftermarket and heavy duty types are a total waste of money, and just make your clutch hard to pull. Why people think they need a heavy duty clutch, when their 15 year old clutch finally wears out has always been a mystery to me but some people think its necessary.

NOS_350X
06-06-2005, 01:31 AM
Did you soak the fiber plates in oil before you installed them? If not then thats your problem right there.

Meat-BoX
06-07-2005, 12:51 PM
I really appreciate the Help on this matter. We did oil the Plates before we installed it. I guess its just time to get all new Goodies for my Clutch. Then it will be good to go, and I like New Parts :w00t:

NOS_350X
06-07-2005, 08:54 PM
When you take it appart this next time check the basket, if its groved get a new one. The steel plats take them on a simi rough piece of cement (like a garage floor) and rough them up, this will make everything work nicely. Ite nearly inpossible to ruin the steel plats if you know this little trick to renew there life.