PDA

View Full Version : 250r fork question

hondatrikefreak
06-03-2005, 10:09 PM
my forks on my 85 250r need rebuild and i have not ever rebuilt forks before can anybody give my some advice on the way to rebuild them.

grundlegrabber
06-04-2005, 12:01 AM
General fork rebuilding guidelines:
you will first need a 38mm seal driver (for '85-86 atc250R) I think they're available from motion pro. Take the forks out of the triples. Take the drain bolt out of the bottom (10mm head) and pump the fork several times to get the old oil out. Remove the allen head bolt in the bottom of the fork slider. Remove the cap on the top of the fork tube. Take out the spring and piston rod. Remove the dust cap and there is a snap ring under it that holds the seal down. Take it out. Using the chrome tube as a slide hammer, you can get the seal and upper bushing out. Clean all parts thoroughly. Make sure bushing contact surfaces still have the grey teflon coating (no copper color showing thru). Make sure the teflon piston ring is intact, not scored up. Put everything back together. Slide the top bushing over the crome tube, into the slider. Put the back up ring on top of it and use the seal driver to hammer the bushing in place. Put the back up ring on top of it, then install the seal, using the seal driver to seat it in place. Fill with specified ammount of fork oil or atf, and measure the fluid level. You really should have a manual to do this.
Post any specific ?s and I'll try to help.

Dirtcrasher
06-04-2005, 08:49 AM
If you don't feel like waiting for a seal driver, you can find a piece of PVC. Either the white plumbing type or the gray underground will have the right size and can be used as a seal driver.