PDA

View Full Version : New Member with a new '86 200X and a question

SmOOOthAkshun
06-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Hey all. I'm glad to be a part of your community. I've been involved with dirt bikes and 3 wheelers for around 25 years. Just decided to get back in the 3 wheelers again. 2 wheels have been getting a tad boring.

Anyways, I have a 1986 200X. It's pretty clean, but needs a few things. I'm not real crazy about the white color. I want to change the color to red. I can get some aftermarket fenders. Are the Maier fenders any good? That's an ot a big problem. What is coming back as a problem is the gas tank. Mine is OEM, metal, and white. I could paint it red, but it would still be metal. I'd like to replace it with a plastic one, hopefully a little bit larger. The only one I can find is a white one.

Is there any way to put one on my '86 from a different year? How much work is involved? Can it even be done? What would I need to do or modify to get, say, an '83 - 85 year plastic replacement tank on my trike. I know mine and the '87 are the only ones with a square tube frame. How much problem would this be and has anyone even done this before?

I also need to replace the headlight shell. I've had no luck finding one so far. Will any other light assemblies off any other models or years mount on my forks? Or if someone has one they want to get rid of that would be good, too. Let me know.

I figured I find my answers from experts and that's why I came here. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
SmOOOthAkshun

yamahaman89
06-03-2005, 06:43 PM
Maier are good i have them on my 83 and pm howdy for the shell for the headlight

SmOOOthAkshun
06-03-2005, 06:50 PM
Thanks Yamahaman. I'm still trying to find my way around here. I guess I'll go to member list and look for "Howdy"?! I'll give him a PM and see what he says. Thanks again.

SmOOOthAkshun

Huffa
06-03-2005, 06:56 PM
Man, are you sure you want to go red? I had 2 86's myself and think the white is gourgous!

Keep an eye on the swingram slots in the back. They are prone to crack there if ridden hard. This is a 250X but the swingarms are pretty much the same.

SmOOOthAkshun
06-03-2005, 07:17 PM
Well, I guess white is ok. I guess I'm just a red kinda guy. My car is red. My absolute, mint condition, showroom shiny, 1980 Honda CR 250R is red. But, then again, my 1979 Yamaha YZ250 is not red (yellow) and my 1981 Harley XL1000 is, also, yellow (1977 Corvette yellow). Maybe I could mix some yellow with the red on the 200X? That'd be kinda cute, don't ya think?

The pastics I have now are really clean. I'd sell them to anyone who wants them or needs them. No cracks (except the headlight shell) and just a couple very minor scratches.

I guess I just got my stubborn ole heart set on red. I really wish I had done my homework first a bit better before I bought the '86 and found the parts aren't that easy to be had. If I get the brand new, shiny red palstic on the trike, it'll look like brand new, too. It all hinges on the gas tank and what I can do with that. We'll ahve to see.

I'll keep an eye on the swingarm slots. That's good advice and a heads up. I checked the trike over pretty good before I bought it, but I'm going to be heading out shortly and take another look at that. If I find something, I guess I'll be fixing that too. Will keep posted. Thanks for the info.

SmOOOthAkshun

chris200x
06-03-2005, 11:12 PM
Maier is your only option other than getting used oem fenders for your ride. I'm not sure if they are still available from the dealer. I just checked DK for your fenders and they only have white available. Maybe one of the other retailers have them in red. Gotta do a little research that's all. Also clarke makes aftermarket plastic tanks but I can only find 83-85 in the catalog. I know not to many parts are interchangable between the ealerier models and the 86-87. And parts are alot harder to find and alot pricier than the ealier makes.

SmOOOthAkshun
06-04-2005, 07:41 AM
Yup, Chris200X, I found out pretty much the same thing..........Clarke or IMS doesn't make a tank for '86 - 87' in red. One of them has one in white, can't remeber which one. The fenders I can get in red. Still need the headlight shell, too. Real bad. Honda discontinued it. Not available anymore. If another tank will fit my square tube frame without too much hassle, I can go that route. I just need to know which one. I don't think it's going to be a tank for a '83 - '85.........I think the tunnel width is too narrow to fit my backbone correctly. I think it sits up too high and back too far. There is a forum where someone discusses doing just that and he provides a pic where the crotch pad is pushed way far away from the tank and there appears to be a gigantic gap between the underside of the tank and the backbone. Doesn't look real bad, but definitely not good, either. I'm just in the initial stages of gathering info to see what can be done. Maybe it can't be and I'll have to live with white. I don't know. We'll see.

Thanks for the info.

SmOOOthAkshun

chris200x
06-04-2005, 07:47 AM
Your best bet for the headlight shell would be using the classified section here or keeping your eys peeled on ebay. sorry I can't help you with any info on the tanks I just don't know enough about them. just gonna need a little patience. Eventually you will find what you seek.

OldSchoolin86
06-04-2005, 08:13 AM
As you figured out you can get the red plastic from maier. IMS doesn't show a tank at all for the 86-87 and I've never liked clark to be honest. I'd just paint the steel tank you have, should make for a nice combo. Trying to fit another year just isn't going to look right. Sounds like you already did your research and already know all this. For the headlight shell I'd go into the classifeds and post a want add. It's amazing what some of these guys can turn up. Here's a thread on installing 83-84 forks on a 86-87 200x:

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=27943&highlight=200x+forks+250r

Dirtcrasher
06-04-2005, 08:38 AM
You could probably sell the white plastic and buy new red plastic still making a profit. And if the tank is decent, people will pay quite a bit for that pup too. I honestly love the look of the white, to me it says "Hey look I'm one of the last years the ATC's were made!!!".

jenndnn3
06-04-2005, 08:48 AM
Welcome to owning the expensive, I cannot get aftermarket stuff trike!!! Seriously tho I love my 86. Lets start with the plastic. Yes you can get red and white but I want you to make a note of something, Pull your plastic, underneath you will see the fender stabilizer rod, small round thing that holds fenders up so they dont sag. (If it aint already broke) Well they dont work on maier. So your fender when it goes to sagging will melt via exhaust. You will need to fix something so it doesnt do that. Nothing worse then spending cash and having that.

You should be able to use any headlight in same form. I would just snag a whole headlight system. Just make sure the wattage and stuff matches.

I dont know whom makes the plastic tank, but I have heard one (as I parrot everyone else here) but, just so you know the 86 200x and 87 200x gastank are unique to themselves, in other words as far as I know nothing else will fit. Or it will with major mods or if you like the interesting look. You will need to stick to those years.

SmOOOthAkshun
06-04-2005, 11:11 AM
Thanks for all the advice oldschoolin86 and jenndnn3. I don't think the support bar would be too much of a problem. I can pretty much fabricate anything I would need there if need be. Mine isn't broke. I don't really understand why the one there wouldn't work with a Maier fender, though? Maybe you can enlighten me a bit.

I thought about painting my tank. I just might do that. As far as selling my old palstics, I ain't out to make no bundle on it. But I won't sell it until I get my plan together. I have to be certain about what I am going to do.

Either clarke or IMS makes a palstic tank, but in white. It must be clarke. I don't want any "interesting" looks, either. As long as the basic profile is right and the tunnel fits the backbone correctly, mounts can be made to get it on there the same way it is mounted on the '83 - '85's. I have no problem doing that. I just need some measurements, first. I bet I end up painting mine, though.

Trikeaholic
06-04-2005, 06:44 PM
If you change the colors, just remember it may be harder to sell if you decide to. I personally would NOT buy an 86-87 200X that was "customized" no matter how clean it was. I would just have to spend time and money to change it back. I have an 86, among nine other 'wheelers that I really like the colors. Really sets it apart from the sea of red trikes, IMO. Welcome to the board.

Oldshell4481
06-04-2005, 07:04 PM
white is beautiful on the 200x's but whatever suits you. maier plastics probably dont mount up to the support bars because they dont have a space for the plastic to bolt to. making the trike red will just make it look older.

83185s
06-05-2005, 01:37 AM
I guess I just got my stubborn ole heart set on red. I really wish I had done my homework first a bit better before I bought the '86 and found the parts aren't that easy to be had.
SmOOOthAkshun[/QUOTE]

dont worry...you got the good one!! yea the parts are harder to find BUT...the 86-87 are the best years for the x models.. 6speed tranny...not prone to breaking as much in the engine somewhere like the others..and alot fast and more "powerfull" ....id gladly trade you my 84 200x for it..lol

TrikerR
06-05-2005, 07:47 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43980&item=4553273921&rd=1

failry good condition head light.

Rex Karz
06-06-2005, 11:49 AM
85 and earlier tanks will not fit at all. Too narrow to fit over the top tube. Doesn't line up at all.

SmOOOthAkshun
06-06-2005, 09:10 PM
Hey, that's really cool of you for giving me a heads up on the light, but I have an "86 and the plastic shell is differen. I appreciate you keep an eye out though. If ya spot something else, give me another shout if ya would. Thanks

SmOOOthAkshun

SmOOOthAkshun
06-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the info on the 85 and older tanks, Rex. I sort of had a feeling thats whats up with them. I'll have to pursue different avenues, I guess.

SmOOOthAkshun

Maine_Triker
06-06-2005, 09:20 PM
You know, you should be able to put a 350x headlight on your 200x, IMO it looks better and it's red...

Phil

SmOOOthAkshun
06-08-2005, 09:20 PM
Hey Maine. A 350 will fit on there? Mine is red. The shell that's broken is red. But if you know a 350 will fit with know problems, that would definitely give me another option for looking for something to fit. It would make my life a lot easier, too.

Maine_Triker
06-08-2005, 09:24 PM
Yup, you might have to do some wiring mods, but I've seen them on 250r's and 250sx's so they must work on a 200x as well.

Oh, I've also seen a 250r headlight on a 200x, looked kinda wierd though...