PDA

View Full Version : 85 200x Questions

1985200xxx
06-03-2005, 01:26 PM
Me and my brother just got done restoring our 200x, but we still have the same old problem. It doesn't want to start when it is cold. Once we pop it it runs great from idle to top. It has pretty good spark. Where should I start.HOw good of spark should you get with the kickstart. It is blue but not very big. Or is it carburation. Thanks for any help

bigredhead
06-03-2005, 01:39 PM
carburation.

You don't have to have it turning fast for spark to happen.. if you have spark.. i don't think that's your problem.

is your choke working properly ? open close.

Ever done a compression test ?

bigredhead
06-03-2005, 01:41 PM
different machines have different habbits.

My old 200.. had to just touch the throttle.. i mean just have your thumb on it and pull it over. BAM.

my SX... full choke.. starts but you can't touch the gas at all until it runs for at least 20 seconds.. then you can take choke off and rev it warm.
etc.

just like women.. have to figure out how to get them hot.. once you know how you're all set ! :p

Wickedfinger
06-03-2005, 02:15 PM
200X's for some reason are notoriusly hard starters - I've had three and they were ALL a beyotch to start - cold or hot. You always have to give them just a little bit of throttle (not unlike alot of ATVs), however too much and its instant flood. I have no idea why either - all my carbs were spotless and the idle and choke circuits 100%. They're just like that. However - you should be able to get her running just fine with the kicker - there is something wrong if you need to bump start it every time.

oddball3
06-03-2005, 03:17 PM
had the same prob with an 84 200x. if it started on the first or second kick it was fine. but if it didnt, Id change the plug and then it was fine.
Adjusted the valves, set them to proper clearance and its been fine since. So what im saying is check your valve clearance.

sandpuppi101
06-03-2005, 06:31 PM
I agree with wickedfinger,200x's are hard to start but when they run in most cases they run good.One thing I do on one of my x's is to slowly push the kicker down until you feel resistance ,let off a bit not completly and do the same.When the kicker is at the top and has resistance,then kick with all your mite.9 out of 10 times that will getr done!!!

Dammit!
06-03-2005, 11:05 PM
My x would tick you guys off. Not having been started in a few days, no choke, you can SIT DOWN on the thing, not touch the throttle and kick it and the damn thing starts right up. Never saw another bike do that. Does it every time too.

shudup
06-03-2005, 11:36 PM
My x would tick you guys off. Not having been started in a few days, no choke, you can SIT DOWN on the thing, not touch the throttle and kick it and the damn thing starts right up. Never saw another bike do that. Does it every time too.

mines like that go out when its above 50 deg. and one kick no choke and it idles
dont have to warm it up at all no bog or anything. one kick pop it in gear and go.
think its in the carb adjustments

ive messed with mine and had to kick it 2-3 times and even had to use the choke till i got it correct again