PDA

View Full Version : Recoil questions with photographs.

LonesomeTriZ
06-02-2005, 07:00 PM
I am rebuilding the pull start on my YTM 200. I have ordered new parts and I am ready to reassemble it. My questions are as follows:

1. Is in necessary to use any kind of lubricants during the reassembly?

A. If so, what king?
B. What parts should be oiled or lubricated?

2. Will it hurt to paint certain parts to prevent them from rusting again?

3. Can some one find a simpler way to explain the method howdy has tried to describe in the past for recoiling the recoil spring?

4. Is there any thing else I should know about before I begin this reassembly?

Thanks for your assistance.

LonesomeTriZ
06-02-2005, 07:03 PM
sorry, I forgot to include the photographs.

LonesomeTriZ
06-02-2005, 08:20 PM
Heloooooooooo out there.

Lomax
06-02-2005, 10:30 PM
I usually spray a silicone lubricant or chain lube.
I spray where the pulley goes onto the housing and the rachet dog area's to keep them from sticking.
I have spraypainted the inside of several "jerk tops" (recoils) and havent ever had a problem
As far as the recoil spring goes, there just a pain in the arse, one of those parts that tends to hate me

LonesomeTriZ
06-02-2005, 10:41 PM
I hear what you are saying. I am not looking forward to recoiling that spring. I hope to have it back together tomarrow. If the rain will stop long enough to allow me out there.

New2ATC
06-03-2005, 12:18 AM
the spring isnt too hard to do.. just more time consuming. I used to have a paper explaining how to do it to a RC car recoil If i fing it ill snap a pic and post it up.. should be the same concept.

LonesomeTriZ
06-03-2005, 12:20 AM
Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Howdy
06-03-2005, 05:45 AM
If you want bring it to TF05 and I will show you how simple it is. Heck, we could even get someone to take a video while doing it, so that we can post it on the site for future help. ;)
Howdy

bigredhead
06-03-2005, 08:10 AM
http://www.3wheeler.org/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14675

This is on a honda.. but a spring is a spring. !!

enjoy !

foster
06-03-2005, 08:40 AM
I don't like to put chain lube in there -- too sticky.
I've rebuilt my starter several times, heck a few times just last weekend! I used to do the big spring the "official" way, but now I just rewind it in my hand and pop it in. It's not hard to do as long as you wind it up much tighter than you think you need to. In other words, when you think you've wound it tight enough, wind it tighter. The tighter you wind it in your hand, the easier it will go in. Then put it in place gently. Don't worry if it comes springing apart on you. Just wind 'er up again. It's really on hard the first time you attempt it.
Hope this helps.

bigredhead
06-03-2005, 09:01 AM
Hey Foster... was thinking about the other day .... why did you guys remove the C clip to wind the rope in ? You don't need to take that apart to wind it you know !!

foster
06-03-2005, 09:20 AM
Yeah, I didn't really go into what the problem was with that starter. I've figured out what the issue is, finally.
I didn't have a C clip, so I put an E clip in there instead. The starter would then come apart every third pull or so, and I couldn't figure out why. When I put it together, I figured whether it's an E clip or a C clip, there's no big difference, right? WRONG! The E clip was not holding the whole thing together and would slip, allowing one or two pieces to come loose.
I think as well the E clip was one size too large (it's a 1/2 inch clip, I think.) So it was a combination of the wrong clip for the job, and I think the clip was too big anyway.
I actually still haven't gotten a C clip for it, but I will this weekend. It's an easy fix.
When I rode on Saturday afternoon after finally getting underway, it came apart on me again and that's when I finally figured out what my problem is -- if my theory is correct, and I believe it is.

foster
06-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Oops, forgot to answer your question.
We didn't remove the clip. It BROKE!
No kidding. I was putting the starter together Saturday morning prior to meeting up with you guys (I had driven my girlfriend to the airport at 5:30 a.m.) and the clip broke into two pieces! Man, was I surprised! And angry!!

bigredhead
06-03-2005, 09:28 AM
oh... i see... bummer.

Yea.. you need a C clip... i don't know what an E clip is.. but it needs to seat in the groove all the way around to hold properly.

Check Princess Auto.. they have " Combo Boxes " of them.. all sizes imaginable.

foster
06-03-2005, 09:41 AM
I'm there!
Yeah, an E clip is like a C clip (that's why I thought it would work as well as a C clip) except the only parts that seat in the groove is the three little tips of the "E". It's more or less shaped like this: €
That's clearly not enough to hold the thing together. But some people need to learn stuff like that the hard way. Some people = me.

LonesomeTriZ
06-03-2005, 10:43 AM
If you want bring it to TF05 and I will show you how simple it is. Heck, we could even get someone to take a video while doing it, so that we can post it on the site for future help. ;)
Howdy

That is not a bad idea. I may do that, so we can video tape it. The only problem is the fact that I have to make sure I can get this YTM running before we leave. it has not ran in years.

bigredhead
06-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Hey LTZ.. did you check that link i posted on .org ?????

LonesomeTriZ
06-03-2005, 11:04 AM
I just did. Criag told me about it. Some of the parts are different, but there is some good information. You made it look simple