PDA

View Full Version : Questions

jsimonh
05-31-2005, 10:38 PM
My front shocks on my 200x work well when you get them broke loose. But, it is nearly impossible to get them to come loose. If you can get them going they work well until they stop and then they lock back up. Any Ideas?

Also can you paint plastic on a 3 wheeler and get decent results?

Howdy
06-01-2005, 05:47 AM
Sounds like something is binding them up pretty bad. The only shocks I seen do this where bent. I would say you need to take them apart to see what the problem is. If they are bent you should be able to tell while they are on the machine, and together.
Howdy

Trackburger
06-01-2005, 06:46 AM
As far as painting your plastic, I used that Krylon "Fusion" spray paint on mine, it's made for plastic, holds up good and looks good too, but if you have a plastic tank dont paint it as the gas will "Breath" through the plastic and make bubbles in the paint. ( wont make that mistake again... :p )

BIGCRIP28
06-01-2005, 09:13 AM
yeah, if you are trying to paint a plastic tank forget about it.
just paint will start to bubble pretty quick.
i also tried bulldog adhesion promoter (people swore it would work) and it stary longer but it bubbled off also.

jsimonh
06-01-2005, 10:15 AM
The shocks don't appear to be bent, but it could be a very slight bend :eek: . I will pull them apart and see if I see anything (not exactly sure what I'm looking for :p )

As far as the paint goes I was wanting to change my rear fender color from red to white. I'm worried that the flexing plastic will flake the paint off.

TrikerR
06-01-2005, 10:35 AM
check www.maier-mfg.com for white plastics

jsimonh
06-01-2005, 07:09 PM
When I took the left side apart I noticed that the shock sort of poped off. After getting the front axle/tire out of the way I could see that the left shock is bent slightly at the top where it comes out of the holder(I think its called the triple tree? :wondering ) Is there anyway to fix this or do I need to start looking for some new ones?

Thanks

Howdy
06-01-2005, 08:42 PM
Some say you can straighten them if they aren't too bad. Others wouldn't even think of straightening them. It's really your call.

I do know if you try to straighten them you will find out they don't bend easy. They might be a tube but they are strong as all get out. ;)
Howdy

jsimonh
06-01-2005, 08:48 PM
I tried to bend them out a little. DIDN"T EVEN BUDGE! :eek:
Ebay has a set that is for a 81-83 200x will they fit?

trikerider2oo7
06-01-2005, 09:00 PM
81 and 82 200x??? are you sure you typed that right?

Dammit!
06-01-2005, 09:01 PM
There's no such thing as a 1981 or 1982 200x so I would beware of someone claiming parts for such a model.

jsimonh
06-01-2005, 09:09 PM
The seller says they came off of an 83 and says that they will fit an 81-83 200x. If they truly came off a 200x (any year) will they fit?
There is also these XR250R 82 MODEL Front Shocks will they fit?

I'm sure you guys are right but what do you think?

Howdy
06-02-2005, 07:42 AM
I have a set of forks here that will fit the 83-85 200x ( if you haven't found a set yet ).

At any rate you need to have shocks off of a 83-85 200x.
Howdy

Trackburger
06-02-2005, 07:57 AM
As far as the paint goes I was wanting to change my rear fender color from red to white. I'm worried that the flexing plastic will flake the paint off.

Like I said ealier, the paint I got was at walmart, it is made by Krylon and its called fusion. It is made specificaly for plastic, it wont crack or flake with the flexing of the fenders. The only problem I can see is that the white probably wont cover your red plastic. If you had white plastic and wanted it red that would be a different story. If I were you I would just get some white plastic and call it a day.

kilabeez0
06-02-2005, 06:55 PM
Like I said ealier, the paint I got was at walmart, it is made by Krylon and its called fusion. It is made specificaly for plastic, it wont crack or flake with the flexing of the fenders. The only problem I can see is that the white probably wont cover your red plastic. If you had white plastic and wanted it red that would be a different story. If I were you I would just get some white plastic and call it a day.

what he said. also i would just shocks off of ebay, you can usually find some pretty cheap. Extra bonus if it says they've been rebuilt.

jsimonh
06-02-2005, 11:30 PM
Didn't want new plastic as mine is in good condition just thought a different color would be cool :cool: . I did look on Maier.com and that stuff is high! So.....

I ended up buying some of that Fusion paint in red. I thought about it and if it gets scratched it won't show up as bad if the fender is red underneath :D . I sanded and got it painted yesterday and today. Looks good, thanks for the suggestions.

Next up is the tank. :w00t:

jsimonh
06-10-2005, 11:46 AM
I finally won some front shocks off of e-bay for 10 bucks. They came off of an '84. Can't wait to get it back together where I can go do some riding. :w00t:

P.S. I got the tank done and I must say it looks pretty good :D . I hope to get some pics up sometime.