PDA

View Full Version : HELP.....Steering stem, triple question......

r00sty
05-31-2005, 10:12 PM
Anyone know how the steering stem comes out of the lower triple tree?? Is it a pressed fit or screwed in? Thanks...

Dads
05-31-2005, 10:41 PM
what trike

r00sty
06-01-2005, 06:38 AM
Didn't know it mattered, every triple I have taken apart seems to look the same, but I never needed to get the steering stem out, until now. Anyway, it is a 350x one and a XR250R one, and possibly a 200x one, depending on what I find with the first 2. Thanks....

Howdy
06-01-2005, 06:38 AM
what trike

I would say it's for his 350x. I say this because it very easy to see the ATC70 tube is welded on. ;) But I can't answer his question. I never had a 350x tube out.
Howdy

r00sty
06-01-2005, 06:43 AM
Any tubes out, Howdy?? All 3 I have apart seem to be in there the same way, I just don't want to mess this up too bad... I guess I could take the less needed one and start pressing on it??

Howdy
06-01-2005, 06:50 AM
I wished I could help you more roost. I haven't ever had the need to remove a tube as of yet ( in aluminum triples ). With the parts supply I got I just pull another triple tree off the shelf ( when needed ). ;)
Howdy

r00sty
06-01-2005, 06:53 AM
Well this is a short thought out attempt at a custom trike, and the hang up right now is the steering stem and bearings, no prob man, I will get through it, and Project XR250RX will ride!!! Like I said, I will just go at it and see what happens, my guess is that they are pressed in, and I hope it's the short way, if not then that lower triple is never going to hold, I'll ruin the XR one first...Thanks :beer

Huffa
06-01-2005, 07:24 AM
I'd say they are pressed in for sure and from reading on a motorcycle website they are not easy to get out. Might be best to take it to your favorite shop for that procedure?

I think ALL steering stems are pressed in.

Here is a procedure description of one guy that took them out.

The biggest GSXR-Showa conversion problem is in the steering stem area. The GSXR forks and Guzzi LM IV forks are approximately the same uncompressed length. This is good...minimal steering geometry changes, etc. .
The steering stems are incompatible, though. This is the pain in the butt. You have to press both steering stems out of their respective triple clamps. This is no small task, as they're both shrink fits with about 8 thousandths of an inch interference. This requires a lot of force to dislodge, and it makes a big bang when the 10-ton press finally pops them apart. Be veddy veddy careful at this point. I take no responsibility for you lodging a steering stem through your skull.

r00sty
06-01-2005, 07:49 AM
Thanks Huffa, sounds like alot of fun, maybe I will video tape it.
As for my favorite shop........ well, that would be me!! I have a 30,000 pound press. Thanks again.

Maine_Triker
06-01-2005, 08:42 AM
Anyone know how the steering stem comes out of the lower triple tree?? Is it a pressed fit or screwed in? Thanks...

Never taken apart a 350x one, but the 200x and 250sx ones are pressed in. Pain to take out, and even more of a pain to put back in.

Phil

TrikerR
06-01-2005, 10:24 AM
wow, you guys had trouble with them. i just removed the 200x one with 1 slight hit from the trusty hammer.

Billy Golightly
06-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Their pressed in. They come out without much problem if you've got a good press and someone who knows how to operate it. I just had to swap stems around on the 500R project.

Billy Golightly
06-01-2005, 11:19 AM
I forgot to add, that on the CR500 clamps I had the stem pushed out of, it came from the top down. The stem has a snap ring on it, and the clamps are grooved to keep it from coming out the other direcetion (Up). Its a tight fit but it'll come out.

r00sty
06-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Thanks alot everyone!!! :beer

Hey Billy, I take it you did what I am fixing to do, and fit the dirtbike stem in a set of trike clamps?? I hope the lower diameter of the bike stem is the same as the trike one, or I'll be into another modification project. Thanks again everyone!!!

Billy Golightly
06-01-2005, 11:34 AM
Kind of roosty, I have a custom set of tripple clamps that use the larger diamter CR500 forks, but its the same principal. In the future I will probably switch to 250R clamps because of the differece in weight between the CR500 and 250R forks (CR ones are HUGE)

r00sty
06-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Yeah I know what you mean, the XR forks are alot larger in length and diameter. So my plan was to just use the stem and bearing set up with X clamps and forks. My XR project is keeping the frame from the bike with motor in it, and I have already mocked up the rear, but can't determine the rear shock height, without having the front end done first..........

I still have a 200x to tear apart to see if any of that will work or help me out. Thanks again, and this saga will continue.....