PDA

View Full Version : Swore I wouldn't do it.....

cajun66
05-31-2005, 05:35 PM
When I got my 185s I swore I wouldn't abuse it. I would just use it for hunting, fishing, and light trail duty. Well, with all the rain lately, I couldn't take the boredom any more. Wish I had thought to bring a camera. :( Especially with my Bro-in-Law riding in the wagon behind the trike. Found a few shallow holes in the trails across the street and one deep one in the right of way. Really gave the mud lites a thorough thrashing. The 185 really benifited from the 10T front sprocket in the thick stuff, and it got up the hills a little easier. I need to get off my arse and change the front tire because steering was interesting to say the least. Also made a few enemies in the local fauna. Managed to spash several frogs a snake or two and even several hachling alligator gar onto the bank.
Oh, well, so much for being gentle with the 185. At least I spent an hour cleaning it afterwards. :p
Next time I'll put the camera in the box.

86250RZ
05-31-2005, 06:00 PM
Sounds like you had fun! On another note....Most people on here probably don't know what an aligator gar is LOL. I'll take a plate of gar balls though. :cool:

wheelie king
05-31-2005, 07:00 PM
We FL boys sure know what a gator gar is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 185s , especially with mudlites, is a great mud trike. Remember, "using" and "abusing" is 2 different things. Use the heck out of it!!! :TrikesOwn :Bounce

Oldshell4481
05-31-2005, 07:14 PM
theres a pic of an alligator gar on the open forum page under bowhunting.

chris200x
05-31-2005, 07:18 PM
You talking about this badboy! YIKES!

Darius1502
05-31-2005, 07:28 PM
Thats a massive gar....Jeeez-us!

chris200x
05-31-2005, 07:46 PM
Sure is, Bigcrip28 posted it in the bowhunting thread.

BIGCRIP28
05-31-2005, 10:45 PM
Sure is, Bigcrip28 posted it in the bowhunting thread.

it was killed in lake fork, texas.
i have seen pictures of 75-200 pounders caught here in LA.
i have seen in person spoonbill catfish that are almost as long as our jon boat and jump 6 or 7 feet in the air out of the water.

chris200x
06-01-2005, 12:25 AM
Not to get off the subject of this thread too much :wondering But when you say spoonbill catfish are you speaking of flatheads. I'm sure they have diffrent names in diffrent parts of the country but there is also something a paddlefish that has a long spoon-shaped nose. Eh,,, what was this thread about anyway? :D cause now my mind is in fish mode.

BIGCRIP28
06-01-2005, 09:10 AM
yeah, i didnt mean to hijack this thread or anything.
i meant paddlefish.

cajun66
06-01-2005, 05:46 PM
I'm not sure about other states, but here in La. the spoonbill catfish is HIGHLY protected. I've had a few on the line over the years and always turned 'em loose.
Never eaten one, but I imagine they're just like any other catfish.
Love the taste of gar but WAY too much trouble to get enough meat off the billions of bones to make it worth it. Kind of like choupique. As far as freshwater goes, I'm a bream and sac-a-lait fan. But if I had my choice, I'll take a chest full of specs and bull reds any day.

Oldshell4481
06-01-2005, 06:02 PM
to solve the problem with big gar like that and bones, just steak it out. im more of a saltwater fish eater, i love swordfish, haddock, cod, wolffish, tuna steaks.. freshwater i only eat trout, and white perch believe it or not are great. i think the biggest freshwater fish we get are lake trout, and atlantic salmon.

cajun66
06-01-2005, 07:59 PM
White perch are plentyful here. That's what we call sac'a'lait. The only saltwater fish I've run across are in the gulf marshes. Redfish, flounder, sheepshead, black drum, speckled trout, snapper, and a few small varietys of shark. Oh, and I did catch one fish we call an oyster cracker that looks like a cross between a catfish and a turd. My saltwater boat is only 16 feet long so I need to stick to sheltered waters.
http://www.aircoolers.org/batonrouge/albums/album512/shop_038.sized.jpg

cajun66
06-01-2005, 08:03 PM
And here's a pic of today's trip. Not too bad.

TravEX
06-01-2005, 10:14 PM
I'm not sure about other states, but here in La. the spoonbill catfish is HIGHLY protected.

To my knowledge not protested here in AR,,,they still snag the #$%^ outta em down on the White River,,,seen some 30-40 lb spoonbills and some 65lb flatheads snagged down there,,,,