PDA

View Full Version : Why won't it run??

whackmaster
05-31-2005, 09:55 AM
I need some help guys. I am trying to fix up my dad's old Honda Big Red. It is a 200es. Great machine in its day. He's moving, and wants the machine out of the barn. Last year I was getting it ready to take on a deer hunt. I got it running, and it just quit while riding. No power. I just got around to looking at it last month. I wasn't getting any spark. So, I put a new CDI, and Coil into it. I'm still not getting any spark from the plug. What would make there be no spark getting to the plug? Is it my kill switch gone bad? I don't want to put a whole lot of money into the machine.

Great Forum guys. This is my first post. I loved that old 3 wheeler. Hauled out my first few deer with it, so it has some sentimental value.

chris200x
05-31-2005, 10:13 AM
:welcome: . Did you try a new spark plug? Also check for the obvious, loose connections, good clean grounds plug wire. I'm not sure about the big red... A weak or dead battery? Maybe.

whackmaster
05-31-2005, 10:19 AM
The electric start has been gone for a while now. Won't hold a charge. So, we've been pull starting it. I put a new plug in it over the weekend. I held it against the frame, and then my dad pull started it. No spark at all. Ya think it might be the kill switch gone bad? That's the way it's acting. Just no spark at all.

chris200x
05-31-2005, 10:38 AM
Do you have a meter to check. Personally I've never used one but that's cause I ain't smart enough I guess. Also, the primary coil in the stator is a common problem with the old honda 200cc's. check it out with the tester and if all else fails just do what I did replace the coil in the stator. Worked on my 200. the have them cheap at www.hyperparts.com. Oh! the best peice of advise I can give is use the search bar on the top of the page. I'm certian there you will find ALOT of good info on no/weak spark. and YES these boards are great...Lots of good people on here that will go out of there way to help you out.

dunehopper027
05-31-2005, 02:04 PM
I just got my 200es back up and running, After sitting for about a year it didn't have any spark. what I did was sand down the parts where the coil is bolted to the frame for a clean contact. put in a new spark plug, cleaned the selonoid, and spliced in a new connector for the nuetral switch. As for the electric start is it just a battery situation, if so just hook some jumpers off of you car to the battery connectors, easier way to check instead of pull starting.

canadiandevil2
05-31-2005, 03:43 PM
try changing your spark plug wire/cap. that was what made my 200 not run