PDA

View Full Version : I just got the mud bug, kawasaki trike, and mini bike

Tri-ZNate
05-29-2005, 06:38 PM
For the past 4 years I have past this thing every day on my school bus. Today I stopped in because I saw a little trike which appeared to be a 70 or 90cc. So I stopped in and checked it out but it turned out that it was a kid's toy with a plastic engine, but it was about the size for a 10 year old or so (any idea on worth? maybe ill pick that up too). So when I found out that it was only a toy I remembered the trike over the little hill I see every day. I asked him about it and he said it was a 1 speed three wheeler. Intrigued by the idea it might be a Scramber I asked to see it. So we walked over to it and it was in rough shape.
(P.S. I found out later it is a 4 stroke)

It hadent been run in four years so the motor was seized up, the throttle was seized, and the brakes were shot. I bent down to look at the rear and it has like a 50 tooth rear sproket on it. And the guy said when he ran it he needed to really wind it out to go up hills. LOL with a sproket that big he shouldnt have had a problem but he then said it had a 8hp kawasaki engine on it, so then I could understand the lack of power. Anyway I was looking around it and I found either a mud bug or a scout. The guy said he had one of each and they both had the seats, but we could only find the one. The seat said scout so thats what I'm going by.

I'm picking the both of these up for $150. But I have some Questions.
1. What is this Kawasaki if it is one? I looked at the picture pages and it looks like a 200 klt.
2. I never heard of a 1 speed kawasaki so it definatly isnt the original motor right?
3. Is the sproket supposed to be that big!?!?
4. The rear brake petal looked almost like the foot peg. Is it supposed to be round?
5. There is also a little bike there with a 3 h.p. briggs and stratton on it. It looks like a honda trail 50. Should I also scoop that up along with the other mud bug?

Thanks for any info guys.

Banage
05-29-2005, 06:41 PM
thats cool

Tri-ZNate
05-29-2005, 06:44 PM
Here are some more. Also we found the seat afterwards for the mud bug so it isnt pictured. I looked at all the mud bugs, JC Penny trike, and others that were posted in the website but it doesnt look like any of them because the seat on this is like a buckets seat with very small fenders. You might be able to say there arent any fenders since they are so small.

Tri-ZNate
05-29-2005, 08:56 PM
Noone, no a single soal knows what either of these are? Well I got some funds around so I'm going to get them tomorrow. Ill post pics when I get them out of the weeds. Oh and that 50 tooth sproket, um yeah its a bit more. I counted the teeth in the pic and I didnt even get half way around and I hit 50. So it is at least a 100 tooth sproket.

Pistonhead
05-29-2005, 09:37 PM
I think you got yourself some pretty rare machines there man!!

erectordale
05-29-2005, 10:08 PM
nice rare find 250sx got to love the old trikes like that

Tri-ZNate
05-29-2005, 10:36 PM
does this look like the brake? If so this thing is queer as hell. Also Once I get the vin # off the frame where can I go to look up the vin #?

Oldshell4481
05-29-2005, 10:44 PM
it looks almost like that little trike was built with a go kart motor or something..

Oldshell4481
05-29-2005, 10:47 PM
disregard that

Tri-ZNate
05-29-2005, 10:48 PM
it would make sence since it is one speed

RideRed250R
05-29-2005, 11:35 PM
by one speed he probally means it has a torque converter or a clutch... i think its pretty cool..
adam

Tri-ZNate
05-30-2005, 08:52 AM
Well I found one thing about it so far. And that is what is that engine. I found a newer version for $200. http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=FA210D-JS05

Dont worry once i find out what the trike is ill get an original engine and throw in there.

Tri-ZNate
05-30-2005, 01:01 PM
I got everything shown in these next couple posts for $140. Not bad if I do say so myself. Does anyone have a clue as to what this trike is? Id like to know so when I start to restore it I can make it look like what it should.

Tri-ZNate
05-30-2005, 01:07 PM
And some more

Tri-ZNate
05-30-2005, 01:09 PM
and even more

canadiandevil2
05-30-2005, 03:50 PM
The first trike there is the low perfomance tecate prototype :p :D

Tri-ZNate
05-30-2005, 05:07 PM
Im begining to think that this trike isnt a kawasaki or a honda or yamaha or suzuki. I think it is an early make of an off brand before trikes were popular, like 1960s. I belive this because there is no suspension at all, it is a simple 5 hp motor, which by looking at how it bolts into the frame and looking at the very small front sproket and that huge rear sproket it almost sems like that engine belongs in there. The only thing I can guess is the it was made by bird. It has a small decal on the front fender and that is all I have to go by. I couldnt find any VIN #s on the frame. I think I might have a trike noone has ever heard of.

chris200x
05-30-2005, 05:25 PM
Did you bother to ask the owner if he knew what year/make/model the trike is? I know if I was intrested in purchasing something I would ask. Personally I've never seen any of those trikes you got there. The mini bike almost reminds me of an old bennelli minibike one of my friends had a long time ago. Had those apehanger handlebars like yours. it may be very hard to find parts for those that's for sure.

Oldshell4481
05-30-2005, 05:26 PM
so the guyt didnt know where he got the trike from?

Tri-ZNate
05-30-2005, 05:59 PM
the guy had no idea.The only thing he knew about it was that it was a three wheeler with a one speed centrifical clutch. here are some pics of the decal and parts of the vehicles.

Oh and the mini bike has compression so I dont think I will need any parts, and it turns freely too. Im gonna take the carb off tomorrow so the penitrating oil can seep into the bolts tonight and try to get it running by the weekend.

hrc85250r
05-30-2005, 06:41 PM
there was a post about one of these on ebay in the ebay forum....it is kawasaki, and it is an early utility trike made in the late 70's....as far as i can gather...and it is def rare....

Tri-ZNate
05-30-2005, 07:24 PM
ok one is a kawasaki, Awesome! Now is the mud bug a mud bug or a diff make?
I think this trike may call for a tecate or 250R engine :twisted:

is this the kawasaki on ebay? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4544915600&category=43977
if so there only a couple differences, like plastics, where the chain goes to the reatr wheels, foot pegs, and a great big engine. Mine might be an early model of it like the 200es's and the later 250 big reds.

sblt500r
05-30-2005, 08:31 PM
i have seen one of those 3 wheelers before. this kid i new had 2 of them. had a kawi 5hp engine. went pretty good but was hard on the butt. thats a band brake on the rear of it same setup as on a gokart. even had a milk crate on the front too.

Tri-ZNate
05-30-2005, 08:44 PM
this kid i new had 2 of them.

Cool Can you find out what this is then?!

sblt500r
05-30-2005, 08:47 PM
sorry i can't it was like 10 years ago!! his parents sold them to a junk picker back then to get them out of the yard.

Tri-ZNate
05-30-2005, 08:54 PM
Damn oh well, so the search continues I guess :)

MTS
05-30-2005, 09:34 PM
too bad that arctic cat mini bike didn thav the original tank on it still, there worth some money to collectors. i seen a compleat one in ruff shape go for 1000$ locally..last year.

Tri-ZNate
05-30-2005, 09:42 PM
I think it just had an arctic cat seat on it. It was only held on by 2 bolts. Anyway I picked up a seat from the guy I got the stuff from, the seat was off a suzuki morocycle, and it seems to fit real nice because of where the steering stops are.

Edit: Crap! NVM I found a couple on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4552471098&category=10064 look at how much those parts are :cry:

MTS
05-30-2005, 10:15 PM
As i said, its an arctic cat

Tri-ZNate
05-30-2005, 10:23 PM
any idea on the year? The one on ebay has an early 70's gas tank and the foot pegs are more toward the rear than mine. Judging by the pics I take it my engine isnt the stock one?

Bender
05-31-2005, 11:16 AM
My sister's husband has a black kawi trike like that with a 5 h.p. moter that he used for a boat motor which i dont know why

it looks just like that but i never knew what it was

It sounds just like a lownmower

sblt500r
05-31-2005, 12:58 PM
if thats an artic cat only the forks and front half of the frame are one. the rest is a regular minibike. someone hacked it up.

VABCH350X
05-31-2005, 04:13 PM
The Arctic Cat has rear suspension, yours does not. It sure looks to me like the kind of mini-bikes we all saw as a kid, usually having a Briggs or Kohler engine.
-Paul

Tri-ZNate
05-31-2005, 08:27 PM
The Arctic Cat has rear suspension, yours does not. It sure looks to me like the kind of mini-bikes we all saw as a kid, usually having a Briggs or Kohler engine.
-Paul

This has a 3 hp briggs. Looks real nice, I took the head off tonight and everything moves freely and I scraped off some residue and she is shining.

As for the kawi, I took the head off of that and the rings are froze real bad. I have about an inch of PB Blaster on it and for the last 3 hours it hasnt moved. So I may be playing the waiting game for a while.

Tri-ZNate
05-31-2005, 08:28 PM
My sister's husband has a black kawi trike like that

Currently he has it?!?!

Tri-ZNate
06-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Here is an arctic cat without suspension http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4553630513&category=90986&sspagename=WDVW

Rex Karz
06-05-2005, 03:18 AM
That trike is rare, but I don't think the frame is "Kawasaki". I would definitely like to see that and the mud bug restored.

One thing about those centrifi-clutched trikes and karts as well, they tend to flip easily (duh, it is a trike) when you throw it into a spin in the dirt and it bogs down, the clutch disengages then kicks in when you apply throttle. It seems to flip them quickly. I was at Pismo today and saw a wreck on a 'Nerf-dog" style on the beach. Dude broke his arm to where the bone stuck out ! That's the second person I've seen that happen to.

Tri-ZNate
06-05-2005, 09:28 AM
I think I found out what it is, but noone has ever heard of it. http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=36580

Oh and the engine on the trike was frozen solid but I got it freed up. The problems now are there is no spark and as the piston comes up its bringing dry grass with it. But until I can get parts for it, it is staying together.

Tri-ZNate
06-09-2005, 07:08 AM
welp I did some work on the mini bike engine. I got some new points and she is sparking now so I should be able to get that goin this weekend. I took the engine off of the Phoenix trike (it was made by phoenix engineering inc.) and that has no spark so Im still left with taking off the flywheel and checking the points on that and hopefully that will be all it needs. And I did some checking on my mini bike engine and it was

made: August 07, 1979 and has a
displacement : 80 ci.

The trike I have no idea how to even check the year and such since it is a Kawasaki.

Tri-ZNate
06-09-2005, 11:15 AM
Ha HA! I got the mini bike engine goin on some carb cleaner so all I have left to do on that is get aa cintrifical clutch and she will be moving! Im gonna go tear apart the trike now.

New2ATC
06-09-2005, 12:01 PM
Theres a few good sites for parts, like gokartsupply.com and mfgsupply.com .. Fairly good prices aswell, And if you go with a centrifugal clutch, go with a comet or a max tourque, both are really durable.

Tri-ZNate
06-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Thanks. Ive been looking for clutches with the sproket on them but with no luck. I think Ill get a max torque, kicks in at a lower rpm and is cheaper :D

83185s
06-09-2005, 01:36 PM
that brake is a pos...i know..i have one one my go kart...you can get a new brake pad for it at rural king or tsc....its a drum type i guess..but they dont work for ****....have fun with your projects