PDA

View Full Version : when diplomacy fails......

OldManDM
05-29-2005, 01:41 PM
well,i went and made the attempt to do the bearing carrier swap from the `86 into the `85....and it got steadily worse as i went along...everything on the axle of the `85 was frozen with rust...i finally gave up on the rust penetrants after 2 days and since i don`t have a torch,i broke down and got out my dremel and my cut off wheels and went to town.....literally had to CUT the right side hub,axle nut,threaded insert,and brake disc collar completely off the axle....good thing i had extras off the `86 to replace them with........and found out(for those who said it would work)that the `86 bearing carrier WILL NOT FIT the `85 swingarm,as the `86 carrier is slightly larger in diameter....enough to where simply grinding some off wasn`t an option.....i WAS however,able to use the bearings,seals,and entire axle out of the `86 though,as all were in good condition....i also made use of the `86 brake caliper and mounting plate,i simply drilled a hole through the swingarm in the same spot as the stud on the `86 swingarm that keeps the mounting plate from rotating when the brakes are applied,then used the bushing off that stud on the bolt i installed.....only need to tack weld the bolt in place now and it will be a done deal....

bad news is i found that the swingarm bolt that holds it all to the frame?.........

frozen with rust as well......don`t know WHAT the hell i`m gonna do about getting that out when it comes time to replace those bushings........

oh well,cross that bridge when i come to it i guess

for those who offered advice on this,my thanks to you!

here`s the end result:

OldManDM
05-29-2005, 01:43 PM
here`s the `85 back in one piece and the `86 that`s being cannibalized:

Maine_Triker
05-29-2005, 05:02 PM
Wow, your 85 looks pretty good!

OldManDM
05-29-2005, 05:26 PM
thanks,it seen some abuse before i got it tho...plan to make it pretty again!

Jeb
05-31-2005, 12:28 PM
Welcome!

I live west of Ft. Worth. Nice to see another DFW area triker!

:beer

So you did successfully swap the 86 axle into the 85 carrier.

I need a few parts for my 85 R if you have any extra to sell.

OldManDM
05-31-2005, 06:02 PM
yea,i was succesful....got `er back runnin again....what parts are you lookin for...i might have somethin i can spare ya