PDA

View Full Version : Riding crash, new problem to fix...

KayodicWeazel
05-29-2005, 01:17 AM
After crashing on a trail today (pretty much due to much my stupidity and recklessness), I have another thing to fix... Anyway, I was bombing down an off-camber trail, which had reflector posts stuck in the downhill side (not smart, I know), and my machine decided to turn to the right, i.e. downhill, right into a reflector post, while going about 30. A resounding "PING" as the impact ruins my bars, and I go over the front. I stand up, my trike is parked up against the post, and theres a puddle of oil down under it. I see that there is oil streaming off the foot pegs, and I think "oh crap" to myself. Drive it home carefully, drain the remaining oil... and go inside. What I want to know is, what is the problem... It seems to me like the crankcase might be cracked, where the footpegs are, but why it would be escapes me... any ideas?

bigredhead
05-29-2005, 01:22 AM
Not fork oil by any chance ?

KayodicWeazel
05-29-2005, 01:26 AM
My machine doesn't have 200X forks yet, so no, i'm pretty sure it's engine oil. Plus, it was hot to the touch.

slothminx
05-29-2005, 06:58 AM
these horizontal engines have the footpegs screwed into the underside of the engine so it is possible you have cracked the case. you need to get the pegs off ad check it out

KayodicWeazel
05-29-2005, 02:50 PM
EDIT:

DO NOT bypass the word filter!

OldSchoolin86
3WW Moderator

slothminx
05-29-2005, 02:54 PM
if you have access to a welder you could make up a new mounting for the footpegs bolted onto the frame. for the cases your going to need to get them tig welded up or your going to come across problems in the future

will

KayodicWeazel
05-29-2005, 02:58 PM
Hmmm..... so JB Weld wont work huh. Well, my neighbor has a plasma arc welder, but i'm guessing that won't do aluminum... so I'm pretty much going to use JB Weld, and just not ride it anymore. My dad was planning on selling the machine anyway, and I was going to resto a 200X for me to ride... so JB Weld it is. I just pity the poor fool who buys the 110.

slothminx
05-29-2005, 03:03 PM
if your not going to be mounting the footpegs on the engine it may holdup with jbweld but if your going to use it make sure its clean enough on the area your putting it so your can lick it or it wont be good enough. we discovered a crack in the case of our race engine the night before a race and had no other option, so we jbwelded it and it held to 6 races until a piston collapsed so it can work.

will

Oldshell4481
05-29-2005, 03:12 PM
if i bought a jerry rigged machine and found out it was fixed only temporarily and not told about it i would be pissed

KayodicWeazel
05-29-2005, 03:15 PM
That's great. No I wasn't planning on using the engine mounted pegs, but there isn't really any other way to mount them, I just looked at them... I'll probably just use the pegs my buddy made once, they mount on either side the front fork, like Harley highway bars. So JB Weld will hold, huh? What should I do, take the engine out and clean it, take the side off, clean the inside, make a JB Weld plug, let it dry, mount the engine back up, and then.... leave it alone cause I don't trust it anymore.

slothminx
05-29-2005, 03:16 PM
i agree with you oldshell. kayodic if your going to bodge it up please tell the person buying it. why dont you try picking up an engine on ebay instead of doing it dodgy. you wont be able to make a plug what im suggesting is clean it off really well and then make a "patch" out of jb over the area about 3-5mm thick. on the footpegs you will need to make ap a small holder for the footpegs to bolt onto which will be bolted onto the chassis it wouldnt be too tricky as you have a neighbor with a welder

Oldshell4481
05-29-2005, 03:30 PM
kayodic you have a 110 right? i could TRY to get a motor of a friend of mine, i dont know if it runs, but it will have parts you need, could be made to run.

KayodicWeazel
05-29-2005, 03:31 PM
3-wheelers are so rare in this town that the person buying it wouldn't care if it's JB Welded. I will tell them, of course, but that's not going to make a difference, cause they're paying 800 to 900 dollars in the first place. Desperate people will pay.

slothminx
05-29-2005, 03:34 PM
just get it tig welded up and build up a bead of weld where the footpegs bolt in and retap it. thats the best and IMO the only proper way to do it without buying new parts

will

Oldshell4481
05-29-2005, 03:42 PM
have you even looked to be sure that it is the problem?

slothminx
05-29-2005, 03:52 PM
yeh come on kayodic unbolt the pegs clean it off and get some pics so we can have a good look and a think. :beer

KayodicWeazel
05-29-2005, 03:57 PM
Sounds good, pics soon.

83185s
05-29-2005, 08:46 PM
800-900 for a 110!!! thats crazy outrageous...unless its modded to hell and back...i agree.. id be pissed if it was rigged and no one told me

Tri-ZNate
05-29-2005, 08:53 PM
I used JB weld on my crank case on my one SX when the engine I bought got cracked in shipment. I was running it on Saturday with no oil leaking

KayodicWeazel
05-29-2005, 08:58 PM
Great, now I know it'll work. Thanks for all the help guys!

And I agree, 900 for a 110 is crazy, but like I said, desperate people.

Lots_Of_Nothing
05-29-2005, 09:17 PM
You are an idiot.

firebird13601
05-29-2005, 09:38 PM
I agree with Lots Of Nothing!!!!! Why hide the problem and not fix it the right way. I'm sure somebody on here has the parts you need or can find you the parts for a reasonable price. I hate working on a cobbed up mess!

Oldshell4481
05-29-2005, 09:47 PM
yeah, lots of nothing has the best opinion so far, wheres them pics, your 110 is going to be junk unless you actually fix it, and it will NEVER be worth 800 dollars

erectordale
05-29-2005, 10:04 PM
whith all the 110 bottom ends avalible out there why cobble it

chris200x
05-29-2005, 10:04 PM
You are an idiot.

:D Rude but very funny.

KayodicWeazel
05-30-2005, 01:07 AM
So now you're saying I should get a new bottom end... whee look at my moneybags go.

slothminx
05-30-2005, 05:59 AM
if you really are going to be able to sell the trike for $800 when its done. you shouldnt be worried about spending a small amount now to fix it properly

Dirtcrasher
05-30-2005, 10:43 AM
So now you're saying I should get a new bottom end... whee look at my moneybags go.

The bad part is you pre plan on fixing it half ass, selling it for too much and not informing the new owner of the problem at which time they may not notice it and end up losing the motor on an overpriced trike.

Fix it right or disclose the repair, thats all.

You wouldn't want to be mislead yourself would you?????

OldSchoolin86
05-30-2005, 11:53 AM
Hmmm..... so JB Weld wont work huh. Well, my neighbor has a plasma arc welder, but i'm guessing that won't do aluminum... so I'm pretty much going to use JB Weld, and just not ride it anymore. My dad was planning on selling the machine anyway, and I was going to resto a 200X for me to ride... so JB Weld it is. I just pity the poor fool who buys the 110.
Unbelievable! You sitting here openly laughing about how your going to screw someone over is absolutely nuts. Do you realize that you’re at a site for collectors and enthusiast? Do you realize how incredibly dumb this idea sounds to most of us? Personal insults are against the rules here or you probably would have been called every name in the book for this one. The one insult said is already done and has been addressed so I don't want to hear any crying about that. I suggest that in the future if you’re going to screw someone over, go to site full of crooks and brag about it there. As for everyone else here, I hope they never buy anything from you and spread the word to those don't know about you yet.

Lots_Of_Nothing
05-30-2005, 02:24 PM
Unbelievable! You sitting here openly laughing about how your going to screw someone over is absolutely nuts. Do you realize that you’re at a site for collectors and enthusiast? Do you realize how incredibly dumb this idea sounds to most of us? Personal insults are against the rules here or you probably would have been called every name in the book for this one. The one insult said is already done and has been addressed so I don't want to hear any crying about that. I suggest that in the future if you’re going to screw someone over, go to site full of crooks and brag about it there. As for everyone else here, I hope they never buy anything from you and spread the word to those don't know about you yet.

Yeah Frank, sorry about that. But someone had to say it.

gravelord
10-10-2006, 04:53 PM
what a jerk off this guy is, i hope when he gets the 200x every thread is stripped. and theres hidden spots that have jb weld in them. I got my 250R, after wanting it for years, spent 2000 on it, and my drain plug was stripped, half a heli coil came out of it, and every bolt was over-tightened. You think i was happy about that? I hope you jb weld your bike,sell it, and guy comes back and kicks your ass. Oh, i forgot, daddy is selling it for you, he will protect you. grow up. oh, i forgot your 13 you dont have to.

200xcellent
10-10-2006, 05:02 PM
not like this thread is over a year old or anything...

jason 32
10-11-2006, 12:10 AM
if i bought it and wasnt told i would want to kick his ass
clean it and find out whats wrong it can be welded and its done -safe! and worth more than jb weld i use jb verry verry little --- only if i half to

ATC-Eric
10-11-2006, 12:13 AM
That guy hasnt posted in 1 1/2 years! Im sure that bike has been destroyed or sold by now!