PDA

View Full Version : Is the tri moto 125 the biggest peice of junk ever

rustbucket
05-28-2005, 10:08 PM
I am certainly inclined to believe it read my classified ad All it needs is a crank seal. Which i have. but one question do i have to split the case or will it come out without splitting looks like it might but i'm not sure.

KayodicWeazel
05-28-2005, 10:14 PM
To answer your topic title, yes it probably is, second only to my 110. To answer your question, I dont really know.

kando
05-28-2005, 11:00 PM
Both sides can be changed without splitting cases, stator side is easiest need puller though, but other side side case comes off, clutch pack also so you can remove gear on crank to get at seal. But these aren't junk, just do a little maintenance before it brakes down all the time, Check crank bearings when seal is out for play if loos you might as well overhaul everything while your at it and it will run forever again.

Louis Mielke
05-29-2005, 10:31 PM
The YT125 is an awsome hardtail trike. It'll beat the pants off any hardtail honda thats for sure. Anyway, I've found that the desire for any trike is not so much dependent on the price but more or less on the location. There is probalby someone on the board who would love to have it but ios too far away to make the purchase economical. I would love to have a YT125 again and sounds like you only need a simple fix. Unfortunatly michigan is a bit of a drive for me :-(

rustbucket
05-30-2005, 12:09 PM
Yeah I have the seals. I got them with the gasket kit. See I re ringed it last summer but it died shortly after and i noticed that the bearings were smoked but i had another motor that had been rebuilt but thyey run it alot and hung a ring in the port and roached the piston so i figured I clean it up a bit and put my new top end on fired it up and for a bout a minute it was fine then the seal tore and it started to suck in tranny oil and smoke real bad worse than a worn out diesel tractor. But since i can change it with out splitting it I bthink I'll get on it soon.

LonesomeTriZ
05-30-2005, 12:16 PM
They are far from being junk. :rolleyes:

edog
05-30-2005, 12:57 PM
I agree i have heard alot of good things about them.

rustbucket
05-30-2005, 09:44 PM
I think I got a lemon here. I put new seals in , the old ones had popped out and were hard as a rock. Fired it up rode it a little and still smokes real bad and no power can't go any higher than 3rd It will load up a minute then you down shift and gas it and its fine for a while. This is the same crap it did before a redid it and it was a different motor. I think I may have to set it on fire on roast hot dogs over it I've seen johnson snowmobiles that ran more often than this thing.

Wickedfinger
05-31-2005, 12:03 AM
Man, I wouldn't admit to letting a bone simple air-cooled 2-stroke get the better of me. Work it out.

Louis Mielke
05-31-2005, 12:21 AM
heh. no hot dog fodder, hell i'd fix it for free for yah. Common get serious about it. What does the plug look like, is it lean or rich, get back to basics. Sounds like something simple.

400ccHomemade
05-31-2005, 05:54 AM
Other than preventative maintenance, all I do is put gas and oil in my Tri-moto 125. Awesome little trike, and I beat the crap outta it. Sounds like "operator error" to me! (just bustin) :mad:

rustbucket
05-31-2005, 10:49 AM
All right guys heres what I know None of the gaskets are leaking (head, base,tranny) Because they are new and theres no eveidence of it. Plenty off compression since the bore is fresh. I have brand new seals in it I put them in yesterday. both sides. If you pull the cord it usually starts but it won't idle well so i stomp it in gear and go you can shift a couple gears 3rd is the highest before it really bogs down but it will do it in first and second. It smokes really bad and not good smelling 2 stroke smoke either. It looks like a car I used to have that went through 1 quart every 5 miles. When i ride it theres a big plume of white smoke. Alos if i turn it seems to have a negative effect on it also. when it starts to die i let off stomp it down a gear and go and its fine for a few minutes. When it did this last summer i had a totaly different motor in it that had bad crank bearings that wopped out the seals. I had changed cdi box and coil and carb with no efect Maybe I have the oil too full and its building pressure and forcing it past the seal?

LonesomeTriZ
05-31-2005, 11:01 AM
Even with all that going against it, it still runs.

Junk? I think not.

kando
05-31-2005, 11:13 AM
How full do you keep transmission? you said maybe its too full? Don't you run it at the oil level bolt hole on side of tranny case, just pull bolt out and fill till it just starts to run out. Don't know if this is your problem but if you way overfill it who knows.

400ccHomemade
05-31-2005, 11:36 AM
Ok, if anyone still thinks they are junk, read this post I made awhile back. http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=34432 Long story short, I ran it WITHOUT OIL for 3 tankfulls, and it kept right on running. Still runs great.

bigredhead
05-31-2005, 12:17 PM
Are you sure the gas is mixed properly ? 32:1 ...... depends on what brand you use i guess...... but start there.. you say it smokes alot.. does it burn tranny oil ? does the level do down as you ride it ?

if the tranny oil stay's put.. you know is mix oil smoking.. vice versa.

your gas tank full of rust ?

carb been cleaned and adjustted at any point ?

what seals were replaced ? dry cracked ???.. but wich ones ?

chris200x
05-31-2005, 12:25 PM
I think I got a lemon here. I put new seals in , the old ones had popped out and were hard as a rock. Fired it up rode it a little and still smokes real bad and no power can't go any higher than 3rd It will load up a minute then you down shift and gas it and its fine for a while. This is the same crap it did before a redid it and it was a different motor. I think I may have to set it on fire on roast hot dogs over it I've seen johnson snowmobiles that ran more often than this thing.

Same thing I bought. :D

rustbucket
05-31-2005, 04:19 PM
Its using the oil injection right now and no plans to take it off. I can't ride it long enough to tell if the trannie oil goes down but even if its overfilled it should make a difference for the crank seals it would normaly leak out the counter shaft seal or shift shaft seal. I wish i had a dollar for every time i cleaned the carb on it. The crank shaft seal were replaced yesterday. I did put a little bit of mixed gas in it to help with the break in of the new top end. but that little bit of oil shouldn't do this. I'm going to pick up some fresh gas try a new plug, fix the rip cord and drain some trannie oil out and see what it does then maybe I can get some one to take a pic of how bad it smokes.
Or we could start a contest to see who has the smokiest trike. I'd win for sure.

bigredhead
05-31-2005, 04:22 PM
any of you guys know how to test the injector to make sure it gives proper oil/gas mix ?

if possible.. drain the injector reservoire.. and mix a batch of gas manually.. try running on that . ( Get a few more opinions before you do this.. ... i have NOT done it myself.. but think it's logical tho !! :p )

rustbucket
05-31-2005, 09:47 PM
Found out the crank bearings toasted after i started running it. Any one have some?

kando
05-31-2005, 09:58 PM
I mentioned to check crank bearings when you put in your seals on my first post. Oh well it would of saved you some time.................LOL.

greenhuman
05-31-2005, 09:59 PM
Beat any hard tail Honda? Get real! The things handle like a bar stool.

LonesomeTriZ
06-01-2005, 08:08 AM
Beat any hard tail Honda? Get real! The things handle like a bar stool.

So does the smaller hard tail Honda's

400ccHomemade
06-01-2005, 08:38 AM
Mine handled horribly, until I widened it. I only went 1.5" per side, and it made a HUGE difference.

rustbucket
06-01-2005, 09:48 AM
I did check the crank bearings when i put the seals in they were fine then. they toasted while I rode it for llike 15 minutes I didn't check the clutch side but i noticed the other was bad when i removed the rip cord to fix it and the fly moved like a 1/16 in . I've had lots of suzuki bikes and a couple yami and kawis but i never had any with bad crank bearings and only one junk seal.