PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding 86 Tri-Z

keith-z250
05-28-2005, 08:34 PM
I am planning on replacing a few things on my 86 Z. I am replacing some of the gaskets, water pump seal and gasket(never been replaced), and thinking about the clutch if it is a problem. When I am shifting, the gears are to easy to go in and out of as if you don't have to use alot of force. And when holding in the clutch lever while trying to kick it in gear, the bike pulls forward.

When I rebuilt the top end, the crank had really no play at all. I just want to know if it could be the bottom end bearings, tranny, or clutch? Since I am gonna be doing this overhaul, I want to make sure I don't have to do it twice.

Also, I am looking for front wheel bearings, fork seals, front tire, 86 intake tube(from carb to airbox), and a DG silencer. I will probably order the wheel bearings, fork seals, and DG silencer from Dennis Kirk if no one has any used or extras. Well I think that is the main things I need to replace. If anyone has any other suggestions that I should replace. Throw them at me.

cool_racer
05-28-2005, 09:13 PM
when it pulls foward all you need to do is adjust the clutch leaver. and are you complaining about your bike shifting smooth? :wondering

OldSchoolin86
05-28-2005, 09:26 PM
I've seen a couple Tri-Z's missing the little ball in the clutch that contacts with the push rod that pushes the clutch out. When this is gone, it will act just like you mentioned and you will most likely already have your clutch lever already adjusted all the way out.

keith-z250
05-28-2005, 11:22 PM
I know my clutch is set on on the handle bars to let the clutch out right around half then it grabs. But I don't think that I am explaining myself right. It feels like it don't click into gear like a tranny should. I have rode lots of atvs and a few tri-z's. If this is right, that is fine with me, but different, it just don't feel like its clicking into gear when I use my foot. Also there is a little play in the shift lever, and yes the screw has been tighten to clamp it onto the shaft. Just kind of puzzles me, but then again I second guess myself to much when everything is just fine.

Anyone that rides my Z, say it is the fastest ******* bike they ever rode and everything is just a blurrr. But if anyone has anything else for me to check or suggest, it would be appreciated.

Billy Golightly
05-29-2005, 09:42 AM
I know what your talking about, its like a really really smooth shift right? Mine does the same thing, and every other Z I've rode does too. You just have to know the neutral spot between first and second, theres no real "feeling it"

keith-z250
05-29-2005, 12:49 PM
Cool, sounds good to me. Thanks for the help guys. One less thing to worry about.

Billy Golightly
05-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Its possible its a weak spring on the shfting mechanism thats causing it. They probably never did it when they were new, but I dont have any problems with mine.