PDA

View Full Version : i want to buy one of those 400 piece stainless bolt kits

kilabeez0
05-27-2005, 10:37 PM
but they dont have them for the 83-85 200x. they have 86-87 kits and 350x kits but not what i want. would one of those work with alot of the hardware on my 85?

jeswinehart
05-28-2005, 07:14 AM
i bought a set off ebay and it was said to be for 350x and a couple of other honda machines. every bag had yamaha stickers on it. so i just matched each one to what i pulled from my 350x 1 at a time untill i had 99 percent of them switched out. i ended up buying a couple of the longer bolts from the hardware to finnish up the project.
so that's the only input i have.

john

Lots_Of_Nothing
05-28-2005, 07:27 AM
They are not really machine specific, unless you get them from that "fastnerguy" on ebay. His kits are individually bagged, with tags for where it goes, etc.

jenndnn3
05-28-2005, 07:46 AM
Oh Kila I had the list and I tossed it.

6x25 (alot of these)
6x30 a few
6x40 3 or 4
6x50 3 or 4
Those are the ones I remember for around engine.

Partsfish, bikebandit gives you the nuts and bolt sizes.

Just write those down. Take one bolt from the case, and tell them Machine thread matching, They have different taper/threading for nut matching (what is the correct term?). Now some places dont carry the larger metric sizes. But I would forgo messing at homedepot and lowes, and just simply go to a specialty nut and bolt place. Ask specifically for stainless steel.

kilabeez0
05-28-2005, 01:42 PM
They are not really machine specific, unless you get them from that "fastnerguy" on ebay. His kits are individually bagged, with tags for where it goes, etc.

I was actually referring to the "fastnerguy" on ebay. I'm figuring a good majority of 350x bolts match up to the 200x :wondering anyone own both trikes that confirm this? I'm mostly concerned with the case bolts.

ChupaCabra
05-28-2005, 01:55 PM
If you have the right measurements and thread pitch for the bolts and screws you want to replace, go the www.mcmaster.com and check out what they have in stainless. I've ordered a lot of stainless fasteners from them in the past and they are excellent. Shipping was free from there last time i checked.

Dirtcrasher
05-28-2005, 05:29 PM
I was actually referring to the "fastnerguy" on ebay. I'm figuring a good majority of 350x bolts match up to the 200x :wondering anyone own both trikes that confirm this? I'm mostly concerned with the case bolts.

I'm certain many of the bolts will fit your 200X. If you specifically want motor case bolts then you may unless EBAY has them you may want to look into SS allen bolts. I haven't seen the same OEM 8mm/4mm threaded hex head bolts in SS but they must be around somewhere. As Chupa suggested, I love McMaster Carr, you do need to pay for shipping but they are very reasonable in shipping charges and usually at your door in 2 days or less. The bolts are available in 18-8 or 316 type SS depending whether they are a flat head, button head, socket head or cap screw. Some of them can be bought individually or in a 25 count box versus paying for 100 pieces. McM..... is where I got all the flat heads and allens in SS for the 200X and 250R master cylinders that come stock in phillips and strip out. Some lengths aren't exactly what you need so I look for "fully threaded" bolts that I can cut down and then I use a disc sander to get the end threads perfect. Those kits on EBAY are great but there is a danger in people using bolts that only grab a few threads. I always run a tap through threads and cut the bolt to run it as long as I can even though it's said that 1.5 times the diameter is as strong as you can get a thread.

As for the threads etc. your always dealing with M4 - .7, M6 - 1.0, M8 - 1.25 and M10 - 1.5mm (not positive on that size) but anyhow other than the occasional M3 and M5 smaller phillips head screws just about all your other fastners fall into the sizes I listed. The only oddball fastner pitches are usually a finer pitch thread and located inside the motor or in drain plugs etc.

McMaster doesn't have the flanged nuts either and I prefer those over using a washer and a hut. As Jenn said another best bet is a speciallty fastner shop online or wherever you can find them.

kilabeez0
05-29-2005, 10:40 AM
Hey thats great, thanks alot guys. I've bought numerous bolts before and understand the different thread pitches and such, but how exactly do you measure thread pitch?

hrc85250r
05-29-2005, 01:03 PM
i bought the fastnerguy's kits before and they are awesome, they only miss a couple things, which would probly be best to not be stainless like the footpegs, but his bolts are really high quality and the individual bags help out a lot...awesome deal too, if you bought them at the store you would pay like twice as much or more....

Dirtcrasher
05-30-2005, 10:34 AM
Hey thats great, thanks alot guys. I've bought numerous bolts before and understand the different thread pitches and such, but how exactly do you measure thread pitch?

In standard sizes lets say 3/8 - 16 is 16 threads per inch or a thread every 16th of an inch
In Metric like the M6 - 1.0 its 1MM or appx .039 thousandths from one peak of a thread to another

bigredhead
05-30-2005, 02:08 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4552217971&category=35580

What do you guys think of this ?

kilabeez0
05-30-2005, 06:37 PM
it doesn't say that those are stainless though.

hrc85250r
05-30-2005, 06:46 PM
just get a kit for any honda 3 wheeler, chances are there is everybolt you need in the kit, with the exception of a few big ones like swingarm, suspension, motor mounts....