PDA

View Full Version : axle nut problem

OldManDM
05-27-2005, 10:25 PM
anybody have any sure fire methods of breaking the axle nut loose?.....began doing the bearing carrier swap on the `85 and the `86........got the `86 apart no prob,but the axle nut on the `85 refuses to budge....even with pipe wrenches and a long cheater pipe1111....was standing on the cheater trying to break it loose and ended up BENDING THE PIPE WRENCH!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

HELP!

jenndnn3
05-28-2005, 07:36 AM
You bent the pipe wrench? Wow now thats impressive. Heat the nut. Not sure fire, but may help.

dantecate
05-28-2005, 11:09 AM
try liquid wrench(wd40 like spray can) if the heat doesn't work, let it sit overnight and spray the hell out of it a few times. then wipe it off so your wrench will not slip and it should come off, just be sure not to mix liquid wrench and the heat method without wiping it off first or you trike will be fried, LOL

rally4x4racer
01-07-2007, 09:59 PM
her is a sure fire method...

1. go to dratv and buy a couple axle nuts for the 110 - they should be the same as the 185 and 200's.

2. bust out a dremel, fit it with a mandrel and a heavy cutting disc.

you will have to cut at an angle to get as much of the nut as possible with out getting into the brake drum cover... but once you get most of the way thru the inside nut (outside nut is off by now) you should be able to put a big flat head in there and knock it counterclockwise. Sometimes you just have to break the inside nut, but sometimes the heat from cutting on it will transfer to the threads and it will come off.

i know this is a really old post just thought i would share my destructive method.

3 weelin geezer
01-08-2007, 02:35 AM
As much as I like using an oxyacetylene torch to free rusted stuff I must throw in a word of caution for the o-rings and other rubber things in the area that may become no more. Just be patient, use a spot of wd-40 for a few days if necessary and try not to strip anything as its harder to take it out. I have a suzuki gs450 I am presently having that problem as the previous owner didn't use the proper size screwdriver and monkeyed up some of the screws I need to take off now. They are frozen and have little to no place for the impact driver to bite. I may just have to resort to the tried and true caveman technology again.

traxxasx
01-08-2007, 05:00 AM
To get castle nuts off i usually use a cross bar for lugs on cars, or a inpact.