PDA

View Full Version : Tri-z transmission rebuild problems HELP.

bushwacker51
05-26-2005, 01:39 PM
I am rebuilding the motor in a 1985 tri z . Put all new bearings in the case. Went to put the cases back together and when you tighten up the case bolts the transmission wont hardly turn over its like its locking up. Losen the bolts it starts turning freely. I think I have the transmission back together right. ANY ides. All help is appriciated. Thanks Glenn O.

Lots_Of_Nothing
05-26-2005, 01:57 PM
"I think" is not a good thing to say when rebuilding a tranny. You probly just have some washers in the wrong spots. Are you looking at a diagram?

bushwacker51
05-26-2005, 02:32 PM
Yes I have a yamaha tech manual I am using. I never took the transmission appart only took it out of the cases to replace the bearings. Only the one small gear at the end of the shaft came of. Glenn O.

TRI Z Racer
05-26-2005, 02:40 PM
id look at that small gear that came off, i just rebuilt my tranny, i believe there is a washer that goes on the end of that shaft. it goes gear then washer. you may have the washer on the inside of the gear. You said you replaced the bearings, are they in all the way to where they seat. one of the cylindrical roller bearings may not be in all the way. Id take a closer look at all the diagrams and what you have.

Make Sure everything is clean clean clean. And i def. recomend using yamabond to seal the case back up. That stuff is by far the best gasket maker there is. period. Its a semi drying liquid gasket. Hands down the only stuff ill ever use. the book recomends it for sealing up the case halves too since there is no gasket.

Billy Golightly
05-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Make sure that shifting star on the end of the shifting drum is properly aligned with the notches in the case, and that it is not hitting on that when it is pulled together. You should be able to look at it and clearly see it from the right hand side with the clutch off.

kando
05-26-2005, 04:30 PM
Make sure you used a gskt between cases and not silicone, I have did this before on side cases, there wasn't enough clearance left and it would bind. Gaskets leave just enough clearance for a reason sometimes.

MTS
05-26-2005, 08:56 PM
if all the washers are in the right place i would say you either have a bearing that is not pressed all the way into the case, or if there is an old one you didnt replace the journal is worn in it causing the trans shaft to go cockeyed once tighten up-thats what happend to me.

bushwacker51
05-26-2005, 11:58 PM
Well I tore it down one more time and after examining the case I discovered I did not have one of the bearing seated all the way down. That was driving me insane. I couldnt find the problem but knew it was something simple. I want to thank everyone for their help.