PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Tri-Z owners and Guru's..........

r00sty
05-26-2005, 10:36 AM
I am going to look at a 86 Tri-Z this weekend, top end is shot, he has a new piston and jug, I'll get the machining done and wrench it myself. "Pristine condition", is what he said. Yellow, with an extra set of plastics. I need to know from all of you what to look for, what and where are the weak points on these machines. I don't want something to bite me later on. I greatly appreciate any and all info. Thanks guys and gals..... :beer

Billy Golightly
05-26-2005, 10:40 AM
Check the right hand side engine case, where the kick starter is. and check it good. They crack there alot. If the coolant overflow bottle mounts to the frame on the left hand side its an 86. If its an 85, it will be underneath the seat right behind the airbox apparatus. Thats really about all I can think of, other then the normal stuff like making sure its got good spark, bearings, ect.

OldSchoolin86
05-26-2005, 10:48 AM
You may already know this but I'll share anyway. With that yellow plastic I'd make sure it's an 86. If the frame is an 86 it will have the coolant bottle on the outside near your left leg and not in the middle. If the motor is an 86 it will have 6 gears and not 5 like the 85. The forks will be 39mm like the liquid R's and not 35mm like the 85z. Check around the kicker to look for cracks on the case cover, a few have been know to break. Also check the swinger closely too for cracks, I've seen a couple of them all busted up. Good luck!

EDIT: Doh! HondaATC beat me to most of this.

Darius1502
05-26-2005, 11:01 AM
You may also want to pop off the cover to the impeller and check to see that the impleller moves with the engine in gear. The impeller on the Z's and YZ's of that era is a plastic grooved knob attached to a metal rod. It comes loose and then spin freely, hence not cooling the engine. If this is the case your engine could have been overheated and thats why the top end is shot.

Something to think about.

r00sty
05-26-2005, 11:09 AM
Thanks guys, I just called him and set it up for Saturday. It is a 85, and the top end went because, "his brother ran straight gas in it". So I guess what I need to know now, is it worth $1500? Actually he wants to trade for the 98 Timberwolf I have, which I have for sale for that? I'm kind of bumming now because of the differences in the two years, 6th gear is also a big loss in my book...... So what do you think a 85 Z with blown top end and extra plastics in "Pristine" shape is worth? Thanks again.....

OldSchoolin86
05-26-2005, 11:16 AM
Thanks guys, I just called him and set it up for Saturday. It is a 85, and the top end went because, "his brother ran straight gas in it". So I guess what I need to know now, is it worth $1500? Actually he wants to trade for the 98 Timberwolf I have, which I have for sale for that? I'm kind of bumming now because of the differences in the two years, 6th gear is also a big loss in my book...... So what do you think a 85 Z with blown top end and extra plastics in "Pristine" shape is worth? Thanks again.....
Less $1000 and that's IF everything is almost showroom condition. Z's don't pull the money that the liquid R's do. I just sold my good running 86 for $1500 and was exstatic to get that much. My advice is to run the price down a bunch or run away.

EDIT: Check the classifieds, there is a killer liquid R for $925!

r00sty
05-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Well with all that said, it's not looking too good, I did plan on reselling the Z because no one is interested in the Twolf, so I guess I'll have to go look and the make up my mind. He also has a 85 200x in decent shape, so I will either try and jew some cash out of him and take the Z or go for both trikes, we'll see and I'll let you all know. Either way I am just trying to turn machines into cash to pay as much as I can on that Polaris thing I bought the ol lady...Thanks a whole hell of alot everyone, you always seem to remind me why I love this site soooo much!!! :beer

Billy Golightly
05-26-2005, 12:57 PM
Its gonna need main bearings, and a lower end rod bearing too, if it ran with straight gas. You said the guy already has a new cylinder, and a piston kit. Thats gonna definetly help, but I agree with Osin, not worth $1500. $1,000 tops. Just a topend, I would said $1200 might have been a fair price. But changing those bearings and seals (The rod bearing, in particular since it probably scalded the rod also) will be about $170 or so depending on who does it. Get some quotes on it to get the work done, and bring that with you and show the guy. He probably doesn't realise how much stuff it actually needs done to it.

r00sty
05-26-2005, 02:21 PM
VERY, VERY, VERY good point Billy, slipped my mind, been out of the 2 stroke business for awhile now. Hmmmm....... I had the ol lady, who works at the bank run a few machines today, mainly the ones involved in this situation, through the books to see the value of them on paper, what a laugh, something that's worth a grand to us is worth 2 hunnie to a financial institution. And believe it or not, a 200x books out for more than the Z!!! :cry:

CHAINSAW
05-26-2005, 06:34 PM
That bike in this area wouldnt bring more then $400 I bought both my 86, and 85 1/2 for less then $1000 a peice, and that was running in decent looking shape and mechanically nothing wrong with them. I sold my 86 a couple weeks back for $2200 and never advertised it for sale, but every area of the country is different. I would definatly pass on $1500 for a non running machine....

Darius1502
05-26-2005, 07:17 PM
I agree with chain....if you pay more than $550 you are crazy.