PDA

View Full Version : Few 200x questions .. cam gear etc

short4stuff
05-25-2005, 08:57 PM
How do you remove the bottom cam sprocket? my cam chain was soo loose (worn) that it was rubbing the case (alot like jenns pic in another post) and the sprocket looks like it has never been changed..

also the main bearings have side to side play :S .. but its in the case not the bearing itself... like the whole bearing moves side to side in the case .. is that normal?.. maybe missing a thrust washer or something? Will running it like this cause damage?

I am tearing my x down and repainting it all .... I just put a new piston and cylinder bore but never really paid attention to the cam parts..

Thanks, Chris

jenndnn3
05-25-2005, 09:20 PM
The sprocket is pressed on. There are not washers other then inside of the crank itself. Did you feeler the crank?

short4stuff
05-25-2005, 09:31 PM
The sprocket is pressed on. There are not washers other then inside of the crank itself. Did you feeler the crank?

It's pressed on .. does that mean split the case inorder to get it off?.. know of a way to get it off without? Also I have not split the case. I didnt feeler it .. but I will tomorrow... it seems like a lot of side to side play though.
also on the cam gear is there a key?.. must be..

jenndnn3
05-25-2005, 10:26 PM
I am not aware of a key unless I dont understand the question. I dont know I had my crank out and had just enough finess to be able to put a puller under it. The method I used would not be recommended for in case removeal, I am brutal on stuff like that. Dealer prob has this cool tool that would take it easy.

Howdy
05-26-2005, 09:10 AM
No there isn't any key way on the cam sprocket. It's pressed on and that holds it in place. You could try to cut it with a chisel ( be VERY careful though ). Another option that was mentioned above was to have a local dealer remove it.
Howdy