PDA

View Full Version : yamaha electric starts??/

rob0781
05-25-2005, 12:01 PM
I have a few questions for the yamaha guys....the elec start don't work,i'm missing the key switch but i can't see this mattering cause i was told it worked before with a boost....i hook a car batterey up to the bike(car not running :) )let it sit for a few and can get no clicks or anything,i changed the bulbs on the dash the red and green light and still can't get them to work,do these lights have to work on the yamahas???like the hondas in order for the elec start to work???i know my bateery is shot but with the car battery it should do something????how would i track down my problem?i'm suspecting the sloenoid but am not 100% sure..

83200e
05-25-2005, 12:23 PM
I would start at the starter itself and work back from there.Most of the time it's a simple fix ,like corrosion or loose wires.The lights not working wouldn't cause a problem,they just indicate if its in neutral or reverse-I don't "think" it would spin over out of neutral or in reverse.

rob0781
05-25-2005, 12:31 PM
ok so if all connections are good how would i go about testing the starter and all other parts

83200e
05-25-2005, 12:42 PM
Hook your jumper cables to the starter directly and it should spin,if it doesnt ,theres your problem,you can test your solenoid by jumping the two terminals together with a screwdriver,if it turns over,then you know the solenoid is bad.I don't know what/where any fuses would be that may be in the mix.Have fun!

bigredhead
05-25-2005, 12:43 PM
just bypass the selenoid..... run a thick enough gauge wire from a good 12 v battery directly to the starter and see if it turns.

Don't over do it if you are using a BIG battery... just hit it and then you know if the starter works. That's how i initially tested my big red.

rob0781
05-25-2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks guys any more input please post,i'm gonna play around with the elec start after work tonight...

TheOlderFox
05-25-2005, 04:01 PM
This may be lengthy but hopefully it will lay out your starting system for you. So if you are jumping the trike I assume you don't have a working battery on the trike. That's fine. If you want to verify the motor, pull the two bolts off the starter motor and mount it around backwards on the bracket so it's still grounded to the frame. This way the motor will spin free. Touch a known 12V source to the termimal end on the motor where the lead comes in. If you are jumping the bike off another battery, ground the frame to the battery and send the hot lead to the motor. If your motor is ok, remount it. The next step is you solenoid. First try to connect any jumper cables to the battery terminals on the bike so that way you follow the normal electrical path. The start button on the bars should connect the starting path here. You will need the key switch in the on position, but since you don't have on, you will have to verify that there is a jumper in there to complete the circuit. The other thing is that the neutral indicator needs to be light or that the neutral circuit isn't complete. If you neutral switch in the case is broken, your electric start won't work either. On the underside of the left case you should see a single wire coming out of the case, this is the neutral switch. If your light isn't working pull the connector apart on the neutral switch and use a connectivity tester to verify that the neutral circuit opens and closes when you shift between first and neutral. Make sure you connect one end of your tester to a ground. If you don't get different readings, your neutral switch is broken/worn. It happens. You can ground that leads to the engine and bypass that switch just make sure you are in neutral everytime you try to start the machine. So as long as your neutral switch and key switch are properly jumpered or grounded, you should be able to hit the start button and hear a click and hopefully get the starter motor to kick. If no click is heard, your solenoid is dead and isn't sending power to the motor as long as your neutral switch and key switch circuits are properly bypassed. I hope this makes alittle sense. If you still have questions post or feel free to email me. If you are referring to the 200/225 electrical systems, I can pull them apart with my eyes closed. so sometimes it is hard to explain everything that goes through my head.

bigredhead
05-25-2005, 10:03 PM
Very well said TOF. !!

What i did on the red.. is simply run a wire from the battery directly to a push button ( radio shack. 3 $ ) switch.. bypassed the on/off and Neutral safety all together.

This means that no matter what gear you are in.. key in or out.. you hit the button and it turns.. period. Can be dangerous with kids around.. of if in gear it will go forward if it rev's fast enough.

freewheel3
05-25-2005, 10:16 PM
The fuse in the electrical system wouldn't have anything to do with this, would it?

350x'inNY
05-25-2005, 10:26 PM
The fuse in the electrical system wouldn't have anything to do with this, would it?

Ummm.. if the fuse is blown, it won't send power past it!

freewheel3
05-25-2005, 10:33 PM
Ummm.. if the fuse is blown, it won't send power past it!
From what I have read so far there hasn't been any sign of power past it except for when someone else had it running. ("I was told before it worked with a boost").

rob0781
05-25-2005, 10:34 PM
i checked all fuses so i'm gonna go over it step by step like theolderfox suggested.....thanks for the replies...any more info feel free to post..