PDA

View Full Version : 225 fork boots

Huffa
05-24-2005, 10:52 PM
Anyone know of any after market ones that will fit since they are no longer available and most by now are torn.

Even if they are not torn the rubber is quite dry looking and no longer has a nice sheen to it, so I'd really like to replace them.

edog
05-25-2005, 08:45 AM
I have a mint pair that came on my machine when i got it.

OldSchoolin86
05-25-2005, 09:22 AM
I have a mint pair that came on my machine when i got it.
^^^ Is this useful in ANY way??? ^^^

If you measure up the fork tube diameter and lenth that you need to cover I know dennis kirk has some nice aftermarkets that will work.

83200e
05-25-2005, 09:39 AM
I ran into the same problem when restoring my 225.I wound up going to the salvage yard and measuring fork diameters on old motorcycles until I found some that would work.I found some that were the right size on top but too big on the bottom,so I cut the bottom part of the originals and slid the new ones over it to make a snug fit.Sounds crappy I know,but it turned out great.One more tip, Krylon fusion works great on the boots. Wish I had a better pic.

Huffa
05-25-2005, 05:22 PM
I ran into the same problem when restoring my 225.I wound up going to the salvage yard and measuring fork diameters on old motorcycles until I found some that would work.I found some that were the right size on top but too big on the bottom,so I cut the bottom part of the originals and slid the new ones over it to make a snug fit.Sounds crappy I know,but it turned out great.One more tip, Krylon fusion works great on the boots. Wish I had a better pic.

I had wondered if that paint would work on them but figured with them compressing and rebounding all the time it would sooner or later start cracking all over?

250r'en +TCB
05-25-2005, 05:32 PM
I bought the ones for my 250r on ebay. They were like $12 I believe... Do a search for them to see what comes up, it won't hurt. If that don't work go to your local dealer

Huffa
05-25-2005, 07:00 PM
I bought the ones for my 250r on ebay. They were like $12 I believe... Do a search for them to see what comes up, it won't hurt. If that don't work go to your local dealer

What good would my local dealer do? They don't make them any more.

350x'inNY
05-25-2005, 09:54 PM
Are you sure? You'd be amazed at what Yamaha still carries..... FYI

Huffa
05-25-2005, 09:59 PM
Well I'm basing my "they don't make them any more" from bike bandit. Listed as discountinued.

250r'en +TCB
05-25-2005, 10:04 PM
if your dealer dosn't have them, and you can't find them online, you are screwed... get used to it. I am restoring my 250r, some parts just don't want to be found.....

Huffa
05-25-2005, 11:53 PM
I AM used to it.........thats why I'm asking what will work.

edog
05-26-2005, 08:38 AM
I can find out if my local Yamaha dealer can get them.

OldSchoolin86
05-26-2005, 09:29 AM
I AM used to it.........thats why I'm asking what will work.
Have you measured them up yet like I suggested? There's a ton of aftermarket out there but you have to know the size. So get out the tape and something to measure the tube size and I'll help you find a set.

83200e
05-26-2005, 09:36 AM
Every dealer I talked to didn't have any,same as my online search.You never know what left over items a dealer has that the others don't,so it's always smart to hit the locals first.My best advise to you is to get a caliper guage and get your specs and start looking at salvage yards, maybe even a few new smaller bikes at the dealership may have something.

ScottZJ
05-26-2005, 10:32 AM
I was always told if you dont have nothing nice to say, then dont say anything at all. :rolleyes: Or if you post something that isnt helping out a fellow triker than shut it up. haha

On a good note, try measuring your fork tubes like stated above and call a 4x4 or Jeep shop. They will be able to help you find boots to fit yours pretty easy. Good luck and dont get discouraged cuz there is something out there that will work.

Huffa
05-26-2005, 07:33 PM
Thanks all for your suggestions.

I have a set of YTM 225 forks being shipped to me. Should have them tomorrow according to UPS tracking.

Will post measurements then.