PDA

View Full Version : Need help with tri z brakes.

GMS1000
05-23-2005, 08:50 PM
Hey all,
I'm just about finished rebuilding my '86 Z, again. I actually rebuilt it to about 80% 3 years ago, after sitting in my shed for 12 years. Unfortunately after putting about 6hrs on the rebuilt engine, the crank broke. Does anyone know of a front brake caliper that would mount to the forks without too much fuss? If not I will have to rebuild it. I also need to do something about the master cylinder. The diaphram is gone.

I bought the Z back in '86 ($600) from the original owner who barely rode the thing. He had put a kit on it from White Brothers (pipe, silencer twist throttle and I believe a 36mm mikuni flatslide carb). Is anyone familiar with this?

Anyhow, the engine is in the shop being totally rebuilt and I'm also having the forks rebuilt with progressive springs put in. I'll post some pics soon. Great site by the way

peace
Gary

LonesomeTriZ
05-23-2005, 08:58 PM
Reuse your original caliper. It is too easy to rebiuld. Once you take it apart you will see what I mean. Most of the time, all they need is a good cleaning.

GMS1000
05-24-2005, 09:22 PM
Thanks......

YTZ250#1
05-24-2005, 10:06 PM
You can buy a master cylinder rebuild kit from TJ'S parts express.They are located in arizona now,but still get parts to me in NY within a week.And like lonsome said,the calipers are easy to rebuild,and the dealer can get ya the parts still.

YAMAHA_Jim
05-24-2005, 11:33 PM
I think you can still get most tri-z brake parts from the dealer,if you need them. Most of the time,like lonesome tri-z said,they just need to be cleaned real good.

I might be wrong but I dont think White Brothers ever made exausts for 2 strokes.I always remember them making stuff for 4 strokes.
I'll give you $600 for your Tri-Z :)

GMS1000
05-25-2005, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I'll just get the parts and rebuild.

I'm almost certain that I remember White Bros. selling the entire kit in one of there catalogs back in the day. :confused:

TimSr
05-25-2005, 03:47 PM
My Quad-Z has a White Brothers Pipe on it, but thats the only one Ive ever seen.

"Rebuilding" a caliper consists of replacing a square rubber O-Ring.

If you need to rebuild a front master cylinder, Its cheaper to buy a used one with the lever attached on ebay than to buy new seals. Warrior and Banshee ones will do it.

HondaHarry
05-25-2005, 10:30 PM
I saw a White Bros. Pipe on an 85R, looked like a rebadged DG to me? Pipe and Silencer were identical to a DG National Pipe and Silencer I have sitting in the shed. HM

GMS1000
05-26-2005, 03:23 PM
I saw a White Bros. Pipe on an 85R, looked like a rebadged DG to me? Pipe and Silencer were identical to a DG National Pipe and Silencer I have sitting in the shed. HM

Maybe, but the original White brothers silencer was round. I have since replaced the silencer.....about 10 yrs ago, I believe it's made by Answer.