PDA

View Full Version : 84 250R Crank Bearings or 480R it

CuRt
05-23-2005, 05:39 PM
Hey guys, well it happend my crank bearings are going bad finally. Guy at the dealer for the parts dept. I'm good friends with was telling me of one of the guys he deals with has a 82 CR480 engine no pipe, or carb just pretty much the engine sitting in his garage. The 82s were they a 4 or 5 speed? he wants $140 for it, is it worth that? info please been really looking into building mine. If the 480 is feasable I think I would rather have that, anybody ever rode one with this engine in it?
If not anybody know where else I could find a 480 engine? or are the 250r crank bearings pressed to the case or the crank?

Thanks
Curtis

ATCWRENCH
05-23-2005, 05:54 PM
the 82 480R has the 4 speed and the 83 has the 5 speed, it is a feasable project and has been done before, very fast machine. as for the crank bearings they are pressed onto the crank as with every other atv engine I have seen(some may be different, I dont know) either way ya go you are looking at a project

MTS
05-23-2005, 11:30 PM
if the 480 motor is half ass decent the top end alone is worth way more than 140$ and the 480s are harder to come by too.

Troll 2
05-24-2005, 12:34 AM
The 480 wont have a lighting coil, then youll need a custom pipe. I've heard the stock fuel tank fits, but only seen custom ones on the conversions. Then the mounts and air box issues. The 480 is very reliable and is a nice conversion, good luck.
I just put new crank bearings and seals in the air R last week. Really not too bad. Heat and cold work wonders..................... :p

CuRt
05-24-2005, 01:38 AM
Well hmm If I do anything its looking like the 480r with the 4speed everyone is upgrading to fast quads and bikes leaving me behind :o. Been looking for more power out of my 250r engine but turning up short of power, it moves but not with the newer stuff. I like the thought of the 480 but again that thing is going to be stupid fast most likely. :confused: is there any options for the lower end with having to tear it apart? I won't even ask about shaving the head already have to let it cool enough dont need to shave it and double the heat.

Thanks
Curtis

CuRt
05-25-2005, 12:26 AM
Been doing some reasearch...
water pumper long rod and crank swap? found some stuff on this but ended up guy never said how it worked out or what had to be done, anybody ever seen anything about this?
Anybody have a 300 big bore jug and head there willing to sell im willing to have a custom piston cut.
I still like the thought of the 480 but thats alot of power to try to keep the front end down.
Anybody have any other ideas, options I have overlooked?

Thanks
Curtis