PDA

View Full Version : The Revenge of The Rusty Gas Tank...

KayodicWeazel
05-23-2005, 01:41 AM
Alas, my venerable ATC 110's gas tank is overcome with rust and shite, and it's literally killing the machine, so I now wonder, should I get a plastic tank, or should I get some CLR and try to save the 100 bucks?

MTS
05-23-2005, 01:45 AM
fill it with muratic acid let it sit for 20 mins then dump it out, coat it with kreem or something of the like's do a search on the fourms bout this-
EDIT: just noticed i got teaching quads a lesson....gd im a post whore....LOL :beer

KayodicWeazel
05-23-2005, 01:47 AM
Where the hell do I find muratic acid, barring Chemistry class...?

MTS
05-23-2005, 01:47 AM
Where the hell do I find muratic acid, barring Chemistry class...?
local hardware store will have it-2 bucks a gallon LOL

KayodicWeazel
05-23-2005, 01:56 AM
Dude, I live in Nome. You can't even get Premium gas here, and we sure as hell dont have a hardware store...

MTS
05-23-2005, 04:21 AM
holy hell...alaska...you dont have a hardware store???? any automotive stoes normally have it......................look in everyshop in your area lol, wost comes to worst ill ship you a few bottels of it.,

Oldshell4481
05-23-2005, 06:47 AM
hmmm when i was in dillingham alasks (tiny town) they had 2 hardware stores, and a NAPA,,, lol dogs pull dogsleds not bobsleds..

ktal74
05-23-2005, 11:01 AM
What you want to do is order the Por-15 kit for cycle tanks. This product is amazing! I have used it on two motorcycle tanks and it is the best. If you do use it...follow the directions to the letter. You will not be disappointed.

http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=306

Good Luck!

hotroddal
05-23-2005, 04:54 PM
all i ever do if i come across a rusted tank, i just get some bebees from a bb gun and put a bunch of them in the tank and shake the hell outa it, and it has always worked for me and all of the rust seemes to come right off , then i just run some gas threw it to clean it out after that.

ChupaCabra
05-23-2005, 06:35 PM
What you want to do is order the Por-15 kit for cycle tanks. This product is amazing! I have used it on two motorcycle tanks and it is the best. If you do use it...follow the directions to the letter. You will not be disappointed.

http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=306

Good Luck!

Por15 is some great stuff. And yes you must follow the directions to the T. Something I found out that isn't listed on the can in that will eat through a plastic dixie cup. I found out the hard way why you should not let it touch your skin, after i picked up my cup and the bottom came off on me. I had grey hands for a week.

KayodicWeazel
05-23-2005, 07:28 PM
I'll try the cheap-jack BB method for now. If it doesn't work, I'll just rinse it in muratic acid.

mikey's250sx
05-23-2005, 08:00 PM
bb's may be a pain to get outta the tank. i also learned the hard way. my sx tank had a 1" lip on the inside but i used bolts and nuts. i guess bb's will come out of the petcock hole. didn't think of that. por-15 is great. also don't get it on you clothes. i have a pair of jeans with a permanent 4" long wave in the front of the leg.

Huffa
05-23-2005, 08:03 PM
You can just use nuts and bolts too. It's possible (???) with the BB's that some might lodge in the seems at bottom of tank and you won't get them out.

Use large enough N&B's that that can't happen.

dooner17
05-23-2005, 08:11 PM
Tomorrow I'll be purchasing some muratic acid. My motorcycle gas tank is extremely rusty and the kreem kit fell off. It's a mess. I currently have my 3-wheeler gas tank on it and get a lot of looks.

ewalker302
05-23-2005, 09:08 PM
A short length of chain will do just as good as bbs or nuts/bolts, and you can get it out much easier.

Yamahauler
05-23-2005, 09:54 PM
just count how many bb's you put in and then how many you have when you get them all out.
If you are missing one, I wouldnt worry too much about it if you cant get it out, it would get trapped in the petcock, but just keep it in the back of your head that the next time your mahcine screws up to check that screen in the petcock

KayodicWeazel
05-24-2005, 01:07 AM
there's a screen? lol. Hey, some good news... It's getting better. I only stalled out 3 times in 2 hours of non-stop riding, and that was instantly fixed by blowing into the tank... YAY! My machine is almost reliable!

Yamahauler
05-24-2005, 01:31 AM
yea theres a screen. take the petcock off, take an air chuck and blow in through the side the opposite way the gas flows. A bunch of rust will probaly blow out. Dont blow the other way or the rust might get deeper into the screen or something

KayodicWeazel
05-24-2005, 01:42 AM
haha when I run my tank out, i'll try it at my buddy's work.