PDA

View Full Version : big red 250es:cant get the 2 bottom bolts out to get the engine out

svo58
05-22-2005, 07:18 AM
I am redoing my 85 big red,i cant get the 2 bottom bolts out they are frozen.I sprayed them with everything known to man,the nuts are off,the bolts will not move or slid out.Does anyone know how to get them out with out braking them.I read somewere if you heat it up and then take a wax candle while the bolt is very hot and melt the wax so it goes in were the bolt is(the wax melts around the bolt and it should turn rite out)I have never tried this,did anyone used this trick.If someone has another way let me know ,thanks........svo58

250rAL
05-22-2005, 11:28 AM
I ran into one like that on the front motor mount on my R. I used lots of PB Blaster, and a breaker bar to get it to turn. Once it was turning, I put an impact wrench on it to do the turning and had a helper drive it out at the same time. The bolt was ruined but a new one from Service Honda was only a couple dollars.

Dirtcrasher
05-22-2005, 11:28 AM
The lower engine bolts are where all the water, rust and corrosion get it. Be careful heating near the aluminum cases. Usually if a real good punch and hammer don't get them out you will have to grind or drill the heads off of the bolts and deal with the rest on a bench. Not fun but I've never had the candle trick work for me, good luck.

sandpuppi101
05-23-2005, 12:10 PM
I have a 250SX with the same deal,I sprayed them,beat them, and tried to turn them still with no sucess.The heat thing I am a little afraid of so now I flipped it upside down and am going at it with a saw-zaw.Hope that works!

KayodicWeazel
05-24-2005, 01:41 AM
Vise-Grips. The industrial version. LOL.