PDA

View Full Version : ATC 200X-how to change oil

timtraynor
05-21-2005, 02:55 PM
Hello,
I just got a 1984 Honda ATC 200X and need to change the oil.
I ordered a manual from the local Honda shop but it does not arrive till
next week. The parts man said there is no filter on this ATC. Is that true?
Where is the drain plug located?
Many thanks in advance for any replys!!

Rock On!!!!

KayodicWeazel
05-21-2005, 04:37 PM
the bottom of the crankcase should have a bolt in the middle/slightly off the the side. That's the drain plug.

kilabeez0
05-21-2005, 04:49 PM
Honestly I have the factory manual and I couldn't figure out why the drain plug was located where it's located! I had to stand the trike straight up in the air in order to drain all the oil out? This in turn made a nice mess. There is no oil filter per say, but there is a REALLY large nut by the shifter that you remove revealing a screen that needs to be cleaned out. Careful when removing the nut, the screen is held in by a big spring. I rinsed mine in the garage sink and immediately shot it with carb cleaner to dry it out.

HaggLE
05-21-2005, 09:59 PM
I would be draining the oil from the left side cover as previously described (large nut). Its easier and it also has the filter there to clean.

IMPORTANT TIP: Wipe all the thread with a rag just in case there is some metal filings in the thread. It will stop the thread from getting all chewed up.

FastEddy
09-14-2008, 02:13 PM
I drained out my oil fine, but the plug (rear of the case) doesn't want to go back in easily. I'm posting instead of trying to force it in there.

I'll go out and see if I can figure out the filter screen while y'all mull this over. Thanks.

DeePa
09-14-2008, 02:20 PM
the right way to drain the oil from most 200 's is by the large nut w/ screen.

On the later model 200x's...you have a normal drain plug on the bottom

Dirtcrasher
09-14-2008, 04:12 PM
On the later model 200x's...you have a normal drain plug on the bottom

Hi Mike,

Nope, the drain plug is on the side - dummy :D Thats just one of the 2nd generation X's "neat!!" features. :lol:

DeePa
09-14-2008, 04:18 PM
go read the manual asscrash

kilabeez0
09-14-2008, 04:38 PM
i saw my name in this thread and did a double take. then i saw it was from over 3 years ago!